IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Problems with rain sensing wipers

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-14, 11:27 AM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine were working awesome for a while... then one day I noticed they were going nuts and going on high speed because my wipers were more smearing than wiping. Put rainx on the windshield and it helped to reduce and smearing and they are working well again now.
Old 04-28-15, 06:57 AM
Aringel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2007 ls 460 which I bought in 2010. The rain sensing wipers have never worked well. They weren't slow enough Ina mild rain and too fast at other times. Always felt that the old adjustable intermittent wipers were far better. After struggling with these wipers for a long time I simply disconnected the cable from the rain sensing module glued to the windshield which you can easily expose by removing its cover just above the rear view mirror.
The wipers than return to the old intermittent mode which for me works far better.
Old 05-04-15, 06:51 AM
htbotdvr
Driver School Candidate

if you want the wipers to work in auto remove the cover on windshield and in the small space were the glass is you need to put a sponge (yellow from Lexus or Toyota dealer in there and it will work fine as I did after a new windshield was put in
Old 07-30-15, 04:58 AM
SEjr987
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone experienced the wipers only working when it's hot? If it's 80+ degrees i have no problem but otherwise the auto wipers don't work. Unsure when it started as i lived in FL for a few years & didn't notice til I moved back north. Any ideas on the mechanism? I have a 2002 ES, I suppose it could be age... also the EZ pass has been in same place x13 years. Side note - what is this yellow sponge? It goes in the sensor box?
Old 10-23-15, 10:18 AM
kmar
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wesleyjeff
I have the same issue with my 2002 es300. I just got it but I can tell the previous owner used rainx on the glass. I wonder if that is my problem. When I touch the rain sensing wiper box on the windshield, it seems to jump start the wipers. Wondering what the solution is. I may clean my glass with alcohol to get rid of the rainX and see if that causes the feature to work properly. The box could be a little tighter up against the glass, so I'm wondering if that is an issue.
I've had a problem with my intermittent wipers since day one, and I just posted this in the RX350 forum. Since yours is a 2002 and obviously out of warranty, replacing the windshield is likely out of the question, and I wonder if that's really the problem. Read on...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Since it was new in January, my 2015 RX 350's intermittent wipers have not worked correctly. It has the automatic rain sensor feature and even at the "fastest" intermittent setting they won't come on properly. It finally rained the other day so I stopped by the dealer to show them. I took it in today and the service advisor just now called and said the entire windshield needs to be replaced.

He said if there are any imperfections in the glass the rain sensor doesn't work correctly. It's under warranty but geez, replace an entire windshield ?

I'd read somewhere on this forum that if the rain sensor is disconnected the intermittent wipers function normally like those without the rain sensor. The dealer said they would not disconnect the sensor as it is a "safety feature". I argued that its a "convenience feature" not a safety feature, but still they said no, they can not defeat the sensor. So next week, new windshield !
Old 10-23-15, 04:35 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 849 Likes on 642 Posts

Has the windshield been replaced? Check the ID in the corner.
If it was, does the mask at the top have a proper cut out for the
sensor just to the right of the rear view mirror.
Old 10-24-15, 09:41 AM
kmar
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mcomer
Has the windshield been replaced? Check the ID in the corner.
If it was, does the mask at the top have a proper cut out for the
sensor just to the right of the rear view mirror.
No the windshield has not been replaced. I bought it new in January. It has 12 miles it, 9 of which was my initial test drive. The windshield is labelled "LEXUS Pilkington" on the bottom left corner. And yes it has the proper cut out for the sensor.
Old 10-24-15, 11:41 AM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Yeah, I wouldn't replace it either since it's brand new. I may consider it when it's about to be out of warranty though.

Have you try to just cover the sensor up with tape? I don't have it, so I don't know where it's located, but if it's in the mirror, that should be easy to take out and disconnect yourself.