IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Smart Access annoyance..

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-06, 09:42 AM
lexi06
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GSE25
Whenever my keys are away from the car I get this msg on the dash saying "key not found".. okay that is normal.. but the strange thing is, I'm able to move the car even when it does not detect the key (note: the car is started and engine is running). Isn't this dangerous when you are not at home, say in a parking lot where someone can just take your car and leave? Anyone know how to program it so that when the car doesn't detect the key, it won't move? This is making me worried..
This smart access system does not sit well with me. With the old fashion way you have to have
the key in the ignition in order to keep the car running. And if you have a spare key, you could lock
it from the outside. This is good when you need to warm up the car during the cold winter months.

Now replace the key with the key fob. The car can stay running without the key in it, which leaves
the car completely vulnerable even though it won't start up again without the key. The car can be
driven off to who knows where. I know there's a mechanical key hidden in the remote, see if you
can lock the doors using the mechanical key while the car is running.
Old 03-22-06, 10:05 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexi06
This smart access system does not sit well with me. With the old fashion way you have to have
the key in the ignition in order to keep the car running. And if you have a spare key, you could lock
it from the outside. This is good when you need to warm up the car during the cold winter months.

Now replace the key with the key fob. The car can stay running without the key in it, which leaves
the car completely vulnerable even though it won't start up again without the key. The car can be
driven off to who knows where. I know there's a mechanical key hidden in the remote, see if you
can lock the doors using the mechanical key while the car is running.
It's unlawful the leave a running vehicle unattended in most states anyway. I don't blame Lexus for not accomodating this feature. IMHO you shouldn't leave your car running where it is out of your immediate control, locking the doors won't prevent a running car from being stolen. If you just have to do this, you might consider purchasing The Club. I understand in some climates you almost always have times where you need to warm up the car and go back inside. Fortunately when the weather gets to the point, the incident of car theft drops dramatically so there's little risk.
Old 03-22-06, 10:09 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think there is a good way to implement the automatic engine shut-off that people seem to want. Imagine what would happen if you were driving on the highway when your key battery died. It would think the car had left the vehicle. That would be very dangerous!

I agree with kensteele - it is very easy to steal a car that is running and unoccupied, even if it is locked. Leave it unoccupied (ie for warming up the engine) in safe places only, like your garage/driveway, or else turn off the engine before leaving the car.