IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Smart Access annoyance..

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-06, 12:55 PM
GSE25
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smart Access annoyance..

Whenever my keys are away from the car I get this msg on the dash saying "key not found".. okay that is normal.. but the strange thing is, I'm able to move the car even when it does not detect the key (note: the car is started and engine is running). Isn't this dangerous when you are not at home, say in a parking lot where someone can just take your car and leave? Anyone know how to program it so that when the car doesn't detect the key, it won't move? This is making me worried..
Old 03-21-06, 01:09 PM
mofogasm
Pole Position

turn off your car and it won't move without the key
Old 03-21-06, 01:16 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, usually, if you start the car. and you get up and go to the trunk, the key technically leaves the vehicle cause it's with you. That's why it says that. Of course if your car is parked there normally. No one can steal it, unless they have the key. Even if you are standing near it, the person cannot unlock the door. The car detects the key on your body.
Old 03-21-06, 01:16 PM
tdog09
Driver

Did you turn on ur car when having the key close, then walked away from it?

If you never brought the key close to the car, and was able to start it, then there's a problem and u need to take a trip to the dealer.
Old 03-21-06, 01:33 PM
Kipperm13
Driver

Smile

I would be cool if you just run into a store with you car running and if someone tryied to put it into drive while you and the keyt where in the store the car would die. But i don't think this will happen. If you leave your car running is like anycar running with the keys in it. Just the person who steals your car better not trun the car off becasue they won't be able to start it again
Old 03-21-06, 04:57 PM
hofman_dzn
Driver School Candidate

Acutally, I think the car will shut off after a certain period of time. I left mine on in the acc mode once so I could charge my cell phone and went back inside. While I was walking away I noticed it beeped and gave the key missing warning. When I came back 20 minutes later, the car was completely off (but unlocked). I'm not sure if it will shut off if the IGN is on or the engine running, maybe somebody would like to try it by leaving it idling in their driveway. Any takers?
Old 03-21-06, 05:10 PM
ChrisM910
Driver

Originally Posted by GSE25
Whenever my keys are away from the car I get this msg on the dash saying "key not found".. okay that is normal.. but the strange thing is, I'm able to move the car even when it does not detect the key (note: the car is started and engine is running). Isn't this dangerous when you are not at home, say in a parking lot where someone can just take your car and leave? Anyone know how to program it so that when the car doesn't detect the key, it won't move? This is making me worried..
why not just lock your door when you get out of your car when its running i do it all the time in the morning so my car can heat up
Old 03-21-06, 05:46 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You cannot lock the door from the outside with the car running so that no one can get inside. I don't believe anyone has found a viable way to do this yet.

The car's engine will not shut off by itself because it cannot detect the key. That's just a safety hazard.
Old 03-21-06, 06:03 PM
GSE25
Lead Lap

Thanks for the insight.. I guess we'll just have to wait it out on this one...
Old 03-21-06, 07:07 PM
upbull340
Pole Position

Can you leave the key in the trunk and still start the car? That would be great as I do not like keys in my pocket. I usually have my keys in my briefcase and it goes into the trunk.
Old 03-21-06, 07:13 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by upbull340
Can you leave the key in the trunk and still start the car? That would be great as I do not like keys in my pocket. I usually have my keys in my briefcase and it goes into the trunk.
You cannot unless you have your second key in the backseat or closer.
Old 03-21-06, 11:44 PM
SportyStar
Driver

Originally Posted by GSE25
This reminds me of a similar post a from a while back on the topic of LoJack. I had a similar concern. Check out post #23, and Kermee's response, #24 of this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ight=carjacked
Old 03-22-06, 08:19 AM
Turkoman
Pole Position

I don't know if it is true but a rep told me that this feature was designed for those times you may drop off a spouse who takes the key fob with him/her and you don't notice until s/he is gone. As long as the car is running, you can get it back to your house. Once you turn the engine off you can't restart again.

I was told that the trunk would not close if you tried to leave the fob in it. Is that not the case?
Old 03-22-06, 08:53 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Turkoman
I don't know if it is true but a rep told me that this feature was designed for those times you may drop off a spouse who takes the key fob with him/her and you don't notice until s/he is gone. As long as the car is running, you can get it back to your house. Once you turn the engine off you can't restart again.

I was told that the trunk would not close if you tried to leave the fob in it. Is that not the case?
that's not why it was designed (the distance in which the key is near the car is not so great that you would lose contact with the person who ran off with the key before the engine shut off). it might be one of the nice benefits but the car is primarily designed not to shut off the engine when it loses contact with the key for safety reasons. if you have the car, try it for yourself. throw the key on the trunk mat and drop the lid. it will not lock.
Old 03-22-06, 09:26 AM
sailing217
Pole Position

Took a test drive without the salesman and realized half-way through that we didn't have the keys and if we turned the car off we would be stranded. I don't remember seeing the light though about the keys missing.

Quick Reply: Smart Access annoyance..