IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Sport Pedal Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-06, 07:59 AM
storm
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not particularly difficult, just time-consuming. I'd also say that the main reason it takes a while is the lack of space (and hard to see exactly what you're doing).
Old 04-17-06, 04:46 PM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

the 'punch' tool that is reccomended for use to get the pin out, can someone post a picture of one? i have a punchdown tool for use with cat5e/6 cable but not sure what this is, and i would rather not spend 200 bucks total on these pedals, 100 for some aluminum and rubber is already luticrous
Old 04-17-06, 05:26 PM
storm
Rookie

I'm not sure what the official tool is, but basically there's a cotter pin in there, you just need something with a smaller diameter than the pin to knock it out with. You can reuse the pin after you insert it into the new pedal.
Old 04-17-06, 07:56 PM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

why is disassembling the entire unit required then why can't you just do the knock out and replacement in your car? is its a matter of bending the connecting rod or what? i should take a flashlight to it tommorow i suppose to get a better idea.

as far as the brake and dead pedal, the new brake just covers over the original, and you swap out the dead pedal but its pretty firmly attached to the floor, just rip it out anyways?

i dont want to pay for something tha tjust requires some elbow grease but i dont want to destroy anything either!
Old 04-17-06, 08:37 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, you have to remove the original rubber pad on the brake pedal and replace it with the sport pedal. As far as the dead pedal goes, just pull up on it and it will pop off.
Old 04-17-06, 10:13 PM
storm
Rookie

It's mainly a matter of space, you need to hammer the pin out from the accelrator, and there's no room to do it with the pedal still on the car.

The dead pedal just needs a good yank, when you see the replacement dead-pedal, you'll be able to easily figure out how to replace the original
Old 04-18-06, 03:03 PM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

actually, i'm somewhat of a small guy, 5'11 175, tiny *** fingers. from what i just saw getting down in there, i can take a small bit from a rachet set and a soft hammer and probably tap it out, like a punch would. i'll let you know if it works.

about the brake, i dont see, or at least feel, a way to remove the brake. it seems like it is molded somehow to the arm and the arm doens't seem possible to remove either, what am i missing here? i'm sure i'll figure everything out when i get the kit but i like to try and be prepared for what im devulging in
Old 04-18-06, 03:10 PM
storm
Rookie

You need to hammer it pretty hard, so I don't think you're going to get it out without removing the pedal. I'd be more worried about damaging the interior while hammering.

As for the brake, it's SUPER SIMPLE. Just feel around the back of the brake pedal, you'll feel the rubber lip from the pedal cover. The pedal cover just fits over a metal pedal, just pull at the lip and slide your finger around, and the whole thing should come off.
Old 04-18-06, 03:45 PM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

hehe yea i just noticed the part about the brake pedal. went for a little joy ride to radioshack to pick up a 1ft long 3.5mm cable. the ground noise through the belkin adapter is unbelieveable, i think i'm going to scrap that whole thing and just use headphone out to aux for now, until i see more installations of the iON setup.

only thing i'm worried about in the hammering process (hehe thats a good album) is bending the assembly. but since now i have an idea of how to get the accelerator pedal off, i can look towards removing the assembly.

next question is, when removing the assembly does one just need to unbolt the two bolts holding the assembly to the L-labled piece? i don't see a reason to have to do anymore from the diagram.
Old 04-18-06, 04:52 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I gave up on this....anyone wanna buy a set of the actual Lexus pedals (not clones) for $70 shipped......offers????

this is the gas and brake pedals only no dead pedal.

PM me plz.
Old 04-18-06, 05:06 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't give up Bagwell!!! I just bought these things too. So far I have the dead pedal and brake pedal installed. I'm not surprised that this is a pain in the *** to do, since no mod I've ever done has ever been easy! Maybe you should hang on to those things and wait until there's a local meet in your area. I'm sure someone will be willing to help install those things.
Old 04-18-06, 05:21 PM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ecr527
Don't give up Bagwell!!! I just bought these things too. So far I have the dead pedal and brake pedal installed. I'm not surprised that this is a pain in the *** to do, since no mod I've ever done has ever been easy! Maybe you should hang on to those things and wait until there's a local meet in your area. I'm sure someone will be willing to help install those things.
damn good point. althought at a meet typically you won't find someone with a toolset, you might find someone with a 1is or 2is that would be willing to help you get started in ur customization of your 2is.

some mods are damn easy (intake, exhaust as long as u get a muffler shop to do the welding, drill on pedals, audio if you are so inclined) , but usually the harder ones, you pay more attention to and are more pleased with the results
Old 04-18-06, 05:44 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mmmmmm.....Dang, I wish I had my IS. I would perform this ASAP. I'll probably hurt myself in the process.

Someone dooo it!
Old 04-21-06, 12:03 PM
cdeslandes
Pole Position

I did mine last week.
The dead pedal and the brake are a cinch. Just make sure you have the rubber lip all round the brake pedal.
For the accelerator, I tried to punch the pin while the pedal was in the car, placing a piece of wood behind the pedal to avoid bending/breaking anything. No luck, you just can't position the punch and hammer properly with the brake pedal in the way.

Removing the whole assembly was near impossible without removing the whole lower dashboard, so I took the 4 screws off and opened the assembly as described in the posts above. Hard enough to reach as it is, when you're a big guy with big hands like I am! DON'T use a phillips screwdriver, use a hex as described above.

When you open it, the spring will fall (jump actually!) out. It's actually two springs, one inside the other. There's also a little rubber sleeve that keeps the spring from rubbing on the housing, you'll have to place it back with the spring to avoid noise.

There are also two little plastic parts that are liable to fall off but only fit one way; they make up the lever that pushes on the spring, for the pedal to come back up.
If you can open the assembly without everything falling out, study the whole thing or bettter yet take picts with an electronic camera to ease reassembly. I wasn't able to take pics to post unfortunately.

Place the pedal in a vise, punch the pin out and the pedal will slide out. To remove the pin, you can buy a punch, or use a nail set like I did. A nail set is used to burry nails in moldings, a few bucks at any hardware stores.

Put the new pedal on, squeeze the pin in with an adjustable wrench, then remount in the car. Be patient, it's always a pain to deal with springs.

Well worth it, the new accelerator not only looks and feels better, it's also wider to allow for throttle braking.

Last edited by cdeslandes; 05-09-06 at 08:14 AM.
Old 04-21-06, 12:53 PM
storm
Rookie

Great post, very detailed.

One question, what rubber sleeve are you talking about? Did it just sit at the end of the spring? I don't remember seeing it, maybe it didn't jump out. Does it cover the complete length of the spring or sit at one of the ends? Is it supposed to keep it from rubbing against the inner part of the housing, or the "cover" part of the housing?

Originally Posted by cdeslandes
I did mine last week.
The dead pedal and the brake are a cinch. Just make sure you have the rubber lip all round the brake pedal.
For the accelerator, I tried to punch the pin while the pedal was in the car, placing a piece of wood behind the pedal to avoid bending/breaking anything. No luck, you just can't position the punch and hammer properly with the brake pedal in the way.

Removing the whole assembly was near impossible without removing the whole lower dashboard, so I took the 4 screws off and opened the assembly as described in the posts above. Hard enough to reach as it is, when you're a big guy with big hands like I am! DON'T use a phillips screwdriver, use a hex as described above.

When you open it, the spring will fall (jump actually!) out. It's actually two springs, one inside the other. There's also a little rubber sleeve that keeps the spring from rubbing on the housing, you'll have to place it back with the spring to avoid noise.

There are also two little plastic parts that are liable to fall off but only fit one way; they make up the lever that pushes on the spring, for the pedal to some back up.
If you can open the assembly without everything falling out, study the whole thing or bettter yet take picts with an electronic camera to ease reassembly. I wasn't able to take pics to post unfortunately.

Place the pedal in a vise, punch the pin out and the pedal will slide out. To remove the pin, you can buy a punch, or use a nail set like I did. A nail set is used to burry nails in moldings, a few bucks at any hardware stores.

Put the new pedal on, squeeze the pin in with an adjustable wrench, then remount in the car. Be patient, it's always a pain to deal with springs.

Well worth it, the new accelerator not only looks and feels better, it's also wider to allow for throttle braking.

Last edited by storm; 04-21-06 at 01:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Sport Pedal Install