IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Sport Pedal Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-06, 09:54 PM
Lupin5
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice detailed write up, Seems peope are having a hard time with the accelerator pedal. Maybe someone can post step by step pic on how they actually remove and installed their pedals.
Old 04-26-06, 09:28 AM
250awd?
Driver School Candidate

In response to uschardcor post#24 on this thread: I wish I could just remove the two screws holding the plate (with L on it in diagram (see diagram in post #7)) BUT the upper right screw of this plate only has about 3-4 inches free room in front of it. This space too small for my hands and available tools to work with. It seems teracon's & cdeslandes (post#29) method is best way. Unfortunately I still need to find hex screwdriver.

Also F.Y.I. to remove the original foot/dead pedal requires pulling quite hard.
Old 04-26-06, 10:19 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

i got the dead pedal and brake. dead pedal required to screwdrivers to pry the plastic connectors/fastenors out of the pulled dead pedal, and the brake pedal was a ***** on the fingers but not really hard to manuever. i have a quite extensive socket set that i plan to use on the accelerator.
Old 05-08-06, 04:19 PM
WillieGS3
Driver

Default Sport Pedals

Is this IS sport pedals will fit second generation GS?

Last edited by WillieGS3; 05-09-06 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-09-06, 08:20 AM
cdeslandes
Pole Position

To answer some of the questions above:

* The "sleeve" I mentioned is a little black rubbery piece of plastic, about two inches longs, with "ears" at each end. My guess was that the two ends are supposed to fit between coils at each end of the spring, so that the middle rests on the side of the spring. When I remounted the unit without it, I could ear a squeeky sound when depressing the pedal. By putting that rubber sleeve on the spring (facing me while the unit was open) the noise sent away.

* One good place to get hex screwdriver bits is a computer store, they are used a lot on PCs and servers. But I'm sure your local Home Depot or Lowes carry them.

* The dead pedal can be removed with brute force, just pull the top end toward you. The new one just clips in place. You'll be amaze how much soundproofing material there is under the carpet! About 2 inches of styrofoam...

I love my sports pedals, you can really feel the difference while driving, it isn't just esthetics. The accelerator is actually larger, with a tab to the lower left allowing for acceleration while braking if you're so enclined.

Last edited by cdeslandes; 05-09-06 at 08:24 AM.
Old 05-09-06, 08:55 AM
Turkoman
Pole Position

I am going to have this done by the dealer after reading all the troubles people have had replacing the accelerator pedal. However, when I called my rep about it, he said the service dept. has never installed them so they will "look at the parts and estimate the amount of labor".

Now, that makes me nervous. It essentially means they don't know how to do it and will try and figure it out. Should I take this risk or not?

Last edited by Turkoman; 05-10-06 at 09:43 AM.
Old 05-09-06, 11:44 AM
cdeslandes
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Turkoman
I am going to have this done by the dealer after reading all th eroubles with the accelerator. However, when I called my rep about it. He said the service dept. has never installed them so they will "look at the parts and estimate the amount of labor".

Now, that makes me nervous. It essentially means they don;t know how to do it and will try and figure it out. Should I take this risk or not?
If you're not mechanically enclined, invite a buddy who is; entice him with a 6-pack (make sure you get him the beer after he installs the pedals!)
Don't waste your money on a dealer.
Old 05-09-06, 11:50 AM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It shouldn't be THAT hard. I already bought a couple of punch tools.

If I can install suspension, no gas pedal pin is gonna hold me back.
Old 05-15-06, 06:38 AM
cdeslandes
Pole Position

Default Illustrated DIY

I've posted an illustrated DIY here .
Old 05-15-06, 09:33 AM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cdeslandes
I've posted an illustrated DIY here .
Thanks!
Old 05-27-06, 06:40 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Just got the 3-pcs sports pedals from Sewell Lexus yesterday. I attempted to install them last night but only could have the brake pedal installed. It's quite a battle with the fingers! :P

For the original dead pedal removal, I am still clueless. So I have the following questions..

Hi uschardcor,

you posted that "i got the dead pedal and brake. dead pedal required to screwdrivers to pry the plastic connectors/fastenors out of the pulled dead pedal"

Where in the dead pedal that you applied the screwdriver? Is that the holes on the top right corner? (the blue circle in the pic) So you need a very long stem screwdriver?

Hi cdeslandes,

I tried to use force and pull the top end of the dead pedal but after trying a few times, I gave up as I was concerned I might break the surrounding of the plastic fasteners, rending the original pedal useless. (see the blue circle in the pic)

Besides, do I need to use or care about the sponge and the screws inside the sports pedal? Are they for the 1IS and so they are dummy for the 2IS? (green circle in the pic)

Any response is greatly appreciated. Feedback from others are also welcome.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Sport Pedal Install-dsc03388_small.jpg  
Old 05-27-06, 06:41 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

More pictures..
Attached Thumbnails Sport Pedal Install-dsc03385_small.jpg  
Old 05-27-06, 06:41 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

One more..
Attached Thumbnails Sport Pedal Install-dsc03386_small.jpg  
Old 05-27-06, 07:09 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AndyL
More pictures..
andy, thats wher ei had to use two screwdrivers. flathead perferablly. i couldnt' get the white connectors out (when i pulled my old dead pedal out, the white connectes stayed attached tot he car so i had to remove the ones from the replacement unit to fit). i used them to depress the tabs holding the white connectors in place
Old 05-27-06, 10:13 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks uschardcor for your quick post. Let me try it tonight.

Quick Reply: Sport Pedal Install