IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250: Snappier Engine Response after Run-in?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-06, 05:33 PM
dsdfan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS250: Snappier Engine Response after Run-in?

I loved the graceful ride and precise handling of the IS250 when I test drove it. I also appreciated the quiet silky smooth engine.

However, I could not help feeling that the engine response seemed a bit sluggish and needed more than a slight nudge on the accelerator for the engine to wake up. There seemed to be a slight lag before the transmission downshifted and the the power surged forth.

I wonder if this is because the test drive vehicle barely had 100KM on it and the engine needs to run in. Perhaps the IS250 is meant to be driven with a gentler style? Perhaps this slowness is a factor of the quiet silky smooth behaviour of the engine?

I did like the IS250 enough to order one. But I'm hoping engine power can be summoned up in more instantaneous, snappy and explosive bursts after the engine has run in, rather than having to lure the power out gently each time I need to accelerate.

Any feedback from IS250 drivers with run-in engines would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-22-06, 07:38 PM
loftus112
Pole Position

Your simple solution would be to place your IS250 in constant ECT PWR mode. That should resolve your issue.
Old 03-22-06, 07:47 PM
dmacneill
Rookie

I agree with loftus112. I have about 1200 miles on the car now, and it definitely performs better in the ECT PWR mode. I have been checking gas mileage between the two settings, and the difference has been less than one-half MPG ( this is filling up at the same gas station and same pump). This represents a mix of about 40% interstate and 60% urban-suburban traffic every week. I have been averaging just about 26 MPG with either setting. So, I plan to keep it in the ECT PWR mode since it is more fun to drive when that is switched on.
Old 03-22-06, 08:25 PM
dsdfan
Driver School Candidate

Default ECT PWR Mode = Sports Mode?

Originally Posted by loftus112
Your simple solution would be to place your IS250 in constant ECT PWR mode. That should resolve your issue.
The model imported into my country does not have the ECT mode button. However I can switch from Drive to Sport Mode by flicking the gearshift sideways. Is Sports Mode equivalent to ECT PWR mode?

Do you also find Drive mode to be sluggish after run-in?

Thanks for your advice!
Old 03-22-06, 08:26 PM
integlikew
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by loftus112
You are correct that would be a simple solution. But the best solution would be to replace the car with one that has a 350 badge on it. LOL
Old 03-22-06, 09:57 PM
C280to250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dsdfan
I loved the graceful ride and precise handling of the IS250 when I test drove it. I also appreciated the quiet silky smooth engine.

However, I could not help feeling that the engine response seemed a bit sluggish and needed more than a slight nudge on the accelerator for the engine to wake up. There seemed to be a slight lag before the transmission downshifted and the the power surged forth.

I wonder if this is because the test drive vehicle barely had 100KM on it and the engine needs to run in. Perhaps the IS250 is meant to be driven with a gentler style? Perhaps this slowness is a factor of the quiet silky smooth behaviour of the engine?

I did like the IS250 enough to order one. But I'm hoping engine power can be summoned up in more instantaneous, snappy and explosive bursts after the engine has run in, rather than having to lure the power out gently each time I need to accelerate.

Any feedback from IS250 drivers with run-in engines would be greatly appreciated.
I Know What you mean. My Last Car Was 96 C280 And i Could Swear that The C Class has more Torque, Until now .
I Barely pass the Break in Period and I'm Openning it up abit .
I Definately feel the Difference and I'm Very Satisfied