IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Anyone with a Service Manual know what this connector is for? -Audio Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-06, 06:08 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone with a Service Manual know what this connector is for? -Audio Upgrade

Hey, I rashly bought a 330W Mark levinson Amplifier for an 06 GS300 on Ebay. My car was still in the shop, So I couldnt check my own amp to see if it would fit.

Well anyway, now that I look at the connection for the 2 amps, It looks like I dont have all the connections I need to hook up the new amp. No worries the amp was cheap.

Well, I still want it to work. though I am missing some cables, I see that there is another connection in the area near the stereo harness... is this harness ML related?

Here are some pics that I took

1) extra Connector

2) the Pioneer amp

3) The ML connection

The amp should be coming to me next week. If I can get it to work, the next step is the speakers. Perhaps Boston Acoustics
Old 03-23-06, 06:20 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

The Extra connector is 4 pins wide, by 2 pins tall.

Only 5 pins are in the connector

__ -#- -#- -#-
__ __ __ __
Old 03-23-06, 06:32 PM
tim817
Intermediate

You might need to contact Chuck, his ID is Cmusic. He knows a lot about those stuff
Old 03-24-06, 04:10 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

does anyone at least know if the pin outs on the amps is in that tech resource?
Old 03-24-06, 04:54 AM
cmusic
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

While I only have the pin configurations on the base amp, I do know there is a digital audio connection between the ML DVD/radio and the ML amp. The blue connector on the far left of the ML amp looks like the digtal input. It looks just like the digital audio inputs on other Pioneer equipment I have seen and installed. I would highly assume all audio in the ML system is carried through this digital audio connection. The base CD/radio does not have a digital audio output going to the base amp. My educated guess is the ML amp will not work with the base CD/radio.

BTW, I installed a set of Boston Acoustics Z6 speakers in my IS250 a few weeks ago. I really like them. Let me know when you are ready to install your BA speakers and I will explain what needs to be done.
Old 03-24-06, 05:37 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Cool
I realized that the ML system has an optical cable intergrated with the system. But, think that the ML still has to have an analog transport.

DVD-A Doesnt support optical, so I dont think analog can be the only transport... though I have also heard that the ML doesnt truly support DVD-A.

Could you possibly send me the pin outs on the Pioneer amp? Also, when you upgraded to Boston Acoustic Speakers, did you use 3-way components?

Last edited by tqlla3k; 03-24-06 at 06:41 AM.
Old 03-24-06, 07:05 AM
Jhoo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually I used that port when installing my XM. There is a "tuner-cable" that connects to that port along with the amp. I did the self instal, Im not all that intouch with what exactly everything does I just followed the instructions and it all worked out. http://www.lexus-parts.com/IS_XM.pdf
Old 03-24-06, 07:16 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Hmmm, thanks for the heads up. Looking at your Picture makes me think the 06GS ML amp has differenct connectors than the IS.

I wasnt expecting that.... CURSES!
Old 03-24-06, 07:30 AM
cmusic
Pole Position

AM/FM radio is an analog signal, and unless there is an analog to digital converter on the radio signal (unlikely but not improbable), the radio audio signals could go to the ML amp in analog form.

There are two DVD-A formats, true DVD-A as outlined by Panasonic and other corporate partners, and DTS DVD-A. For more info on DVD-A, look here: http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/...510035,00.html

DVD-V is the protocol used in Dolby Digital 5.1 and 6.1 DVD movies.

True DVD-A has restrictions on how it is outputted from the “source unit”. The output has to be in analog form. This is to try to prevent digital copying. However the corporate owners of true DVD-A have allowed several companies to include a proprietary digital connection between the DVD-A player and the processing equipment. This proprietary digital connection is different between manufactures to avoid someone from easily hacking into signal and copying it. Technically the player and processing equipment is still one unit electronically, but housed in two separate chassis. My Denon AVR-3805 home theater receiver has a proprietary CD/DVD-V/DVD-A digital input called Denon-Link and can only be used with Denon DVD-V/DVD-A players. For the car Alpine’s F#1 Status line has an in-dash DVD-A player with a digital output going to a signal processor. The player and processor can only be used together and not with any other equipment.

DTS (Digital Theater Systems, a separate audio company not involved with the DVD-A forum or other corporate partners) has 5.1 audio CDs that they call DVD-A, but they are not true DVD-A disks. DTS audio CDs use the same audio protocols as is used on DTS soundtracks on DVD movies. So any DVD player than can play a DTS soundtrack from a DVD movie can play a DTS audio CD (that is incorrectly labeled DVD-A). In fact any regular CD player with a digital output going to a DTS compatible home theater receiver can play 5.1 DTS audio CDs.

So to recap DVD-V, DVD-A, and DTS are three separate audio formats. All three can be transmitted digitally, but only DVD-A has extreme restrictions. All three formats use 5.1-surround sound. DTS audio disks, although sometimes incorrectly labeled as DVD-A, is not a true DVD-A format.

So back the ML system. I believe in another thread on this forum a poster mentioned that his ML system would not play some DVD-A disks but would play DTS “DVD-A” audio disks just fine. Given the above information I would say Lexus paid for the use of DVD-V and DTS formats but not true DVD-A.

I have the pin-outs for the regular amp in .pdf form on my computer at home. I’ll look at them tonight and get back with you.

The BA Z6 set is a 6.5” and tweeter two way set. I don’t think BA has made a 3-way set in a few years. I do remember the old 3-way Pro Series set from several years ago. The current Pro Series speakers are a step below the old Pro Series. The Z6s and Z5s are a step above the old Pro Series.

And besides, the mid in the IS is only 2.5” in diameter and 1” thick. A 3.5” or 4” mid would require the inner door metal to be cut to get it to fit.
Old 03-24-06, 09:47 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

I am going to have to find a way to get the ML for the IS. Looking at the PDF for the XM, the XM intercepts a connection thats on the IS' Amp, but not on this GS ML amp....

I must conclude that connection is also present in the IS ML amp... since the XM has to intercept it. Also, I must conclude that extra connector isnt needed for ML, just for Satelite.

I really think if I put an ML amp in the car, it would plug right in, and work almost properly.

I guess my GS Amp will go on ebay... after I get it =(

Cmusic, thanks for the explaination on DVD-A and V. Do your tweeters fit in the door cups?

Last edited by tqlla3k; 03-24-06 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-24-06, 10:17 AM
cmusic
Pole Position

The Z6 tweeters fit perfectly in the factory tweeter pods. They are held in place inside of the pod with hot glue. Of the speakers I was considering the Z6s has the only tweeter that would fit in the pod and were designed for a vehicle door enviroment.
Old 03-24-06, 03:09 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Hey, I forgot to ask, when you hooked up the BA's did you connect it to the stock amp? Also did you use BA's Crossovers or did you just plug them in, since the IS already has X-overs in the Amp?

Finally, how does the 2-way set up compare to the stock 3-way... and the ML, if you had a chance to listen to that.

Also, even though the GS amp is a failed mission, could you still send me the pin outs?
Old 03-24-06, 06:06 PM
cmusic
Pole Position

I ran jumper wires from the factory speaker outputs to an Audio Control LC8 speaker level to RCA convertor. The LC8 combines the sub, woofer, and mid/tweeter speaker wires together to get one full range RCA output. Currently from the LC8 I am running RCAs to an Alpine amp. I am using the BA passive crossovers.

The factory amp's crossovers are set for sub, midbass woofer, and mid/tweeter. The mid and tweeter in each door are ran from the same channels. A cap on the tweeter acts as a passive crossover. Each woofer has its own amp channel. The sub has two channels. The mid/tweeter speaker output lets too much midrange ouput to be used specifically for a tweeter only. The mibass woofer speaker output cuts the midrange off too low to be effective in a two way setup.

Soon I am adding an Alpine 5.1 surround sound processor, active crossover with digital time delays, and 6 independent 31 band equalizers to go between the LC8 and the aftermarket amps.

Currently with no aftermarket sound processing the two-way BA setup is slightly better than stock sound system, but the stock system is exceptional at that. When I get the rest of the system completed I am sure it will blow away the stock and ML systems.

E-mail me at cmusic at foothills dot net with your address I can send you the .pdf files with the pin outs.