IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

"Vehicle safety discount" on insurance

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-06, 08:11 PM
Langdell
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Vehicle safety discount" on insurance

I got the first premium notice with my IS on the policy (State Farm) today and noticed that it includes a notation saying "Vehicle safety discount added." No further explanation is given, and it doesn't even list the amount of the discount. Well, I won't look a gift horse in the mouth. But I'm wondering if this discount is based just on safety features of the car--which, on paper, are not much different than my old car--or if it's really a pleasant after-effect of the IS's recent high score on crash tests. Any info. or thoughts?
Old 03-23-06, 08:34 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, did you get a free horse from St. Farm when you renewed your policy?

FWIW, I get similar discounts from GEICO:

Seatbelts, Sponsored Group?, Anti-Lock Brakes, Anti-Theft Device, 5-Year Good Driving, Passive Restraint/Airbag.

All of these are listed separately as discounts for the IS on my policy.
Old 03-23-06, 09:03 PM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

The IS recently had fantastic results on their crash tests, so we are getting a reduction in rates.
Old 03-23-06, 09:21 PM
Langdell
Driver

Originally Posted by Kamikaze2b
The IS recently had fantastic results on their crash tests, so we are getting a reduction in rates.
Yeah, that is kinda what I was speculating. The other safety features insurance companies normally discount for--airbags, ABS, anti-theft, etc.--were on my other car, but I don't recall getting a "vehicle safety discount" per se, though I know I did get discounts for those features. Then again, maybe the "Vehicle safety discount" is just what they call the discount for those features.
Old 03-24-06, 06:55 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This is good news, as I also have State Farm. My question is, will having the pre-collision system on the car also contribute to a reduction in cost?
Old 03-24-06, 08:25 AM
Aterrex
Driver

Is pre collision standard ? Does anyoen have parking assist besides the rear camera ? I have always wanted to hear how that works.
Old 03-24-06, 08:38 AM
Langdell
Driver

Originally Posted by Aterrex
Is pre collision standard ? Does anyoen have parking assist besides the rear camera ? I have always wanted to hear how that works.
Pre-collision is not standard. (And I don't have it, so I don't know if it gets a further insurance discount.) I do have Park Assist. There are 6 little buttons on the bumpers (4 across the rear, 2 on the corners of the front). When you are moving at parking speed, they sense when you get within a couple feet of something. They beep to warn you that you are close to something (though I have trouble hearing the beeps over the stereo), and they display a picture on the little display screen by the odo and the Nav screen if you have Nav. The picture shows 1-3 bars around the sensors on the car, indicating the relative distance to an object.

I have found Park Assist to be handy. I especially use it when I want to pull up close to a wall but make sure I don't actually touch it. Haven't had the opportunity to try it for parallel parking yet.

Another feature I like for parking is the auto tilt down side windows you get with the Sport and Luxury packages (Premium? I don't know.). I discovered that these mirrors let you check to make sure you are well inside the lines of a parking spot before you open the door. Cool ding-prevention feature!
Old 03-24-06, 08:41 AM
dfw350
Lead Lap

also comes with factory immobilizer