IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS vs ES....Need Input

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-06, 10:48 AM
upbull340
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My IS350 will be a commuter car and weekend toy. I've never used the backseat in my Volvo other than for my gloves and ear muffs. If you are going to have people back there and you want them to be comfortable go with a GS or ES.
Old 03-26-06, 11:15 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by upbull340
My IS350 will be a commuter car and weekend toy. I've never used the backseat in my Volvo other than for my gloves and ear muffs. If you are going to have people back there and you want them to be comfortable go with a GS or ES.
That pretty much sums up what I use mine for. Except on weekends the back seat gets filled up with boat bags and cooler. My company now has 3 cars for use so I only need to use mine if all three are previously reserved. So the back seat very rarely gets used by passengers.

I think my decision is a little clearer. Thanks folks!
Old 03-26-06, 11:17 AM
BlueOnyx1
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, i agree with all those people who adviced the GS. Yeah its a little more in cost, but i might be what you are looking for because it gives you more room in the back, lexus quality, and a more sleek sports design than the GS. But if you if you had to pick between the the ES and IS, I say ES because i think that it will fit you needs better especially if you need to carry passengers often.
Old 03-26-06, 04:10 PM
jcreech
Pole Position

dont get the GS. Dont get the ES. Get the M5. It has everything you need to pick up timmy from soccer practice and you can press a button for 100 extra hp.
Old 03-26-06, 06:24 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FastGirl
Maybe you should consider a GS instead. You get all of the room you need, it's available in AWD and it's much cooler than the ES.

If I had the extra money and time to wait it out before my car wears out then I would consider to buy then new GS coming out this fall. I have neither option though and I am going for the IS350.
I agree with fastgirl. I'd go with the new GS over the ES. Doesn't sound like the IS is exactly what you are looking for
Old 03-26-06, 06:25 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jcreech
dont get the GS. Dont get the ES. Get the M5. It has everything you need to pick up timmy from soccer practice and you can press a button for 100 extra hp.
Good point...I'm sure Wid IS350 would concur!
Old 03-26-06, 10:53 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

I had a '97ES300 that I could feal in my heart would run forEVER, but I love technology too much to have kept it, I found a good buyer for it and moved on to my first ever new car. The 350 is everything and more I thought it would be. Yes, I was a bit nervous about real wheel drive in the winter, but honestly, it's not all that bad if you just allow extra time, and take it slow. Plus the feeling of having your car pushed instead of pulled in decent weather is amazing. I don't speed often either, but I like to gun it getting on the hwy or getting around a semi on and this power and firm suspension is perfect! Plus it's still the lexus smoothness, technology and reliablilty that I've come to love. All that said, if you need the space, SERIOUSLY consider the GS! Good luck and let us know what you decide!
Old 03-27-06, 04:17 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Thanks ES3! That's just the kind of feedback I was looking for.

Again...I DO NOT want to spend $50K for a car. So I will drive the new ES and IS then make my decision. I know as soon as I do I'm going to want to take one home right away! I was thinking of putting mine in our local paper to see if I could sell it myself. That would make my decision easy.

And who said I need a car to pick up the kids. I don't have any kids, no will I!
Old 03-27-06, 06:23 AM
Lem144
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Macklin

Again...I DO NOT want to spend $50K for a car. So I will drive the new ES and IS then make my decision. I know as soon as I do I'm going to want to take one home right away! I was thinking of putting mine in our local paper to see if I could sell it myself. That would make my decision easy.

And who said I need a car to pick up the kids. I don't have any kids, no will I!
Yes! Sell it yourself. Also use Craigslist. It may take a while (1-2 months) but you'll get more money $1-3k more than from a dealer!
Old 03-27-06, 09:19 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Macklin

Happy to help, let me know if you have anymore questions. BTW, I had the best luck with this website, in fact here's the car I sold if it helps you with the sale of yours!
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...g=en&cardist=0
Old 03-27-06, 10:18 AM
LSUFanMan
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been driving ES300's for 10 years. Bought a 1994 ES300 in 1997; my daughter has it now with 114M miles and it runs great and is still solid. Bought a 2000 ES300 2 years ago and have babied it as well.

Will be selling the 2000 ES as I bought a new IS350 three weeks ago. Was just tired of driving a comfortable, somewhat boring luxury sedan. How about something that is fun to drive, has some HP and looks great? That's the new IS350!

I've found the IS to be plenty spacious enough (I am 6' 2"), I love the ride and the "drivability" of this sport sedan. Great car (as it is a Lexus), a blast to drive and looks great - what more could you want?

If you want a soft ride like your driving a Japanese sofa down the road get the ES. If you want cool and some fun, get the IS!
Old 03-27-06, 10:57 AM
Wid IS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Foxberry
Good point...I'm sure Wid IS350 would concur!
Old 03-27-06, 11:47 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Macklin,

I'm having the same dilemma you are on my next car. I'm thinking about replacing my 'beater car' (a 98 LS400) with either a IS350 or new ES350. I do frequently haul people around in the back of the car so the legroom is important (my seat will be all the way back).

The new ES is likely to be faster than the IS250, but certainly won't handle as well as any 2IS (but will be more luxurious). Similar technology and options in both cars I think except the ES has a cool panarama room in the rear. Wheels and gauges are cooler on the 2IS IMO.

Its a big step down in size from the LS I have today, but huge step up in tech from the HD-based nav, etc. I may end up getting a used LS430 or just doing a few more mods on the current LS to keep me happy until the new LS460 comes out.

I've got my supercharged GS for fun and sport. The new one lives outside and is the 'rain car' which goes to the airport, the groc store, the lake etc. Still needs to be somewhat fun to drive.

Will just have to wait until later in April to see the ES350 to drive both back to back.
Old 03-28-06, 04:40 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Originally Posted by LSUFanMan
If you want a soft ride like your driving a Japanese sofa down the road get the ES. If you want cool and some fun, get the IS!
More great input! But this quote pretty much sums it up doesn't it? I bought my ES 9 years ago when I was driving down to the North Carolina Outer Banks every weekend to ski on my buddy's slalom course. The cops are relentless down there, so it was set the cruise at 62 and just enjoy the ride. This car was perfect for that.

Now my body told me to quit competition skiing....too old.... So it's mostly commuting to work, local weekend romps and an occasional trip. I think I'm leaning towards a more sporty Lexus! But I would like to drive the new ES first just to be sure. The dealer tells me they are not expecting them until late April.
Old 03-28-06, 07:54 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

I think you should get the IS. Unless you are really tall and put the drivers seat far back, the rear seat room isn't that bad. It's smaller than the ES, but for occasional passengers, it's more than fine. I wouldn't let the smaller back seat deter you from this purchase. Check it out a a dealership if you haven't already.

I've driven my IS a few times in the snow. The only time it had trouble was going up a steep, unplowed road in heavy snow and ice conditions. I couldn't get enough traction and had to back down the hill and go another way. But it was a traction issue, not a steering or braking issue. I have never lost control even in pretty bad storms, and the VDIM is fantastic for keeping you on the road in bad conditions. I would say in Virginia, you will be fine. If you lived in New Hampshire and commuted through the White Mountains every day, it would be a different story.

As far as the GS, I know you already ruled it out due to price, but I also like the styling of the IS better, and believe it or not, the IS has much better passenger headroom. I was more comfortable in the IS back seat than the GS for this reason - in the GS, I couldn't sit up straight in the back seat.

Good luck with your decision!

Quick Reply: IS vs ES....Need Input