IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Curbed the front passenger wheel on my IS350

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-06, 03:37 PM
Scooter24
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Curbed the front passenger wheel on my IS350

I was pulling into a spot on the end of a row in a parking lot and was trying to park away from the car next to me and nailed the curb with the front passenger wheel. Can it be repaired? If so, what type of shop would do it? It is about a 2 inch scrap along the perimeter of the wheel.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !!!!
Old 03-26-06, 03:43 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter24
I was pulling into a spot on the end of a row in a parking lot and was trying to park away from the car next to me and nailed the curb with the front passenger wheel. Can it be repaired? If so, what type of shop would do it? It is about a 2 inch scrap along the perimeter of the wheel.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !!!!
It can be repaired. Check out Wheels America's web site at www.fixrim.com. I've never used them, but I hear they do very good work (but only on OEM painted rims -- I'm assuming that's what you have). It costs $129.99 for a complete tire-off restoration. If it's not too bad of a scratch, you might consider swapping the curbed one for the full size spare in the trunk (assuming you have one -- I don't know much about the IS350). Hope this helps.
Old 03-26-06, 03:52 PM
Scooter24
Rookie

Originally Posted by e-man
It can be repaired. Check out Wheels America's web site at www.fixrim.com. I've never used them, but I hear they do very good work (but only on OEM painted rims -- I'm assuming that's what you have). It costs $129.99 for a complete tire-off restoration. If it's not too bad of a scratch, you might consider swapping the curbed one for the full size spare in the trunk (assuming you have one -- I don't know much about the IS350). Hope this helps.

Thanks for the information!!! It doesn't appear as though there is a Wheel America location in Phoenix. I do like you idea of getting a full size spare and swapping it with the scratched rim.

I'll have to do some more checking in my area to see if there is a good rim repair place in Phoenix.
Old 03-26-06, 03:56 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter24
Thanks for the information!!! It doesn't appear as though there is a Wheel America location in Phoenix. I do like you idea of getting a full size spare and swapping it with the scratched rim.

I'll have to do some more checking in my area to see if there is a good rim repair place in Phoenix.
Does the IS350 come with a full size spare in the trunk? If so, you're all set. Also, check with your local Lexus dealership. They usually have guys that come in to clean up the wheels on used cars they put on the lot. My dealership has a guy that charges about $50 per wheel. It looks great for a while, but then his work starts to wear off. If possible, you're better off going with a place that refinishes the entire rim rather than just touch up. One other thing. Why not wait a few days to see if you get used to it? Although it's the first, it most likely won't be the last, and after a while, you probably won't even notice it. Anyway, just my .02.
Old 03-26-06, 03:58 PM
bnet504
Driver School Candidate

Does the IS350 come with a full size spare in the trunk? If so, you're all set. Also, check with your local Lexus dealership. They usually have guys that come in to clean up the wheels on used cars they put on the lot. My dealership has a guy that charges about $50 per wheel. It looks great for a while, but then his work starts to wear off. If possible, you're better off going with a place that refinishes the entire rim rather than just touch up. One other thing. Why not wait a few days to see if you get used to it? Although it's the first, it most likely won't be the last, and after a while, you probably won't even notice it. Anyway, just my .02.
IS with the summer tires don't come with a full size spair because they have a staggered set up, so each tire can only be place on a certain corner of the car.
Old 03-26-06, 06:12 PM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, none of the new IS's come w/ a full size spare. They call come w/ donuts
Old 04-05-06, 09:58 PM
Badman Forever
Lead Lap

i just curbed the same wheel coming from a similiar parking situation.. i couldn't believe it. oh well! if i curb enough wheels.. it'll tempt me to go aftermarket? =|