IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

anyone had LPS adjusted to where 'AUTO' headlites don't come in the garage!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-06, 08:10 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default anyone had LPS adjusted to where 'AUTO' headlites don't come in the garage!?!?

on a bright and sunny day, with my car in my garage, the lites on AUTO, I start the car and the headlites come on. I back out of the garage and start down the driveway and they shut off.

I like AUTO but I don't want my HID's coming on for 30 seconds then shutting down.

I know LPS can be adjusted where the lites won't come on unless its darker;
its a numbered scale from 1 2 3 4 5, standard is 3....anyone done had this changed? and are you happy with the setting?

thanks for the input.
Old 03-27-06, 01:22 PM
teejnut
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm curious as well too. The interesting is that during the day if I'm out and then drive into the garage the headlights won't turn on, but if the car is already parked in the garage the lights will turn on even if it's daylight outside.
Old 03-27-06, 02:02 PM
yellowssm
Lead Lap

Just curious, why does it matter if your HID's come on for only 30 seconds. Its not like they will break or something, and if they do thats what your warranty is for.
Old 03-27-06, 02:55 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Supposely having the HID's turn on and off for short periods of time is bad for the ballast. But then again, I'm not a rocket scientist, so I wouldn't know.

But there is nothing you can really do about this. Since the car THINKS it's in a dark area with no light, it will naturally turn on the HID's because you set it on AUTO

I dont know if the LPS setting would help much if you are in the garage.
Old 03-27-06, 03:09 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by yellowssm
Just curious, why does it matter if your HID's come on for only 30 seconds. Its not like they will break or something, and if they do thats what your warranty is for.
like DLP TV's, HID bulbs go through a voltage spike during start-up. Frequent turning on/off of the lamp for short duration can shorten its lifespan.
Old 03-27-06, 07:08 PM
L-Tuner
Driver School Candidate

Turning them on and off without letting them warm up properly is not good for the bulb. If it happens to many times the bulb can shatter in the headlight housing.
Old 03-27-06, 08:39 PM
yellowssm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by L-Tuner
Turning them on and off without letting them warm up properly is not good for the bulb. If it happens to many times the bulb can shatter in the headlight housing.
Shouldnt this be covered under warranty though?
Old 03-27-06, 08:49 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowssm
Shouldnt this be covered under warranty though?
yea if it breaks down during warranty, what if premature failure happened outside of warranty because of frequent on/offs
Old 03-30-06, 02:04 PM
inecstaz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by teejnut
I'm curious as well too. The interesting is that during the day if I'm out and then drive into the garage the headlights won't turn on, but if the car is already parked in the garage the lights will turn on even if it's daylight outside.
If you're out during the day, and then drive into the garage, they headlights wont turn on because they are on a timer; meaning, once it senses darkness, it waits a certain amount of time before turning the headlights on. This is to avoid turning the lights on and off whenever you pass under a short overhead pass or bridge.

The lights will turn on right away if you start the car up in the dark, because it assumes its night time.

Hope that helps!
Old 03-30-06, 04:47 PM
upbull340
Pole Position

My Volvo is set to auto and the lights come on and off all the time. Had it for 2 years and 10 months without any bulb problems. I don't think its that big of deal.
Old 03-30-06, 06:13 PM
accelerate
Lead Lap

Yea this really does suck, my previous car Murano, I was able to change these setting easly with a little joystick on th dash.
Old 03-30-06, 06:21 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

My dad has has an 01 LS430 with HID's thats been garaged since day one with no problems to the bulbs or ballasts. Thats not to say the on and off is "good" for it, but I think its a fairly neglagable concern. It's not like they're constantly being cycled on and off. They simply turn on one time and then they're off.
Old 04-30-06, 10:32 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

I dont have HIDs but I get annoyed that the head lights come on when I go under the bridge of a freeway over pass and turn back off after i get out from it 5 secs later.

I think I need to turn down the sensitivity...
Old 04-30-06, 11:09 PM
larsdenner
Driver School Candidate

Anybody know how to get to the "personalized settings"? Number 13 is a sensitivity adjustment for the headlights there 1=Very light 5=very dark
Old 05-01-06, 07:29 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Bagwell,

Would a back-in help? Then the headlights are always facing outside. Again it is a preference and how much stuff you have in the garage.

Quick Reply: anyone had LPS adjusted to where 'AUTO' headlites don't come in the garage!?!?