IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Huper Optik Tint...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-06, 03:25 PM
darrelld
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Huper Optik on my IS350 at Alta Mere in Plano Texas for $375.
Old 03-28-06, 03:31 PM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JKStylez
For the cars that dont have an actual antenna on their car it means that there antenna is on the back wind shield (i think it runs along the heated back windshield... not sure about this) and from my experience it did mess up my radio reception a bit on my old x5 when i got metallic tint
antenna for the new IS is on the front windshield. those little dots up front. i know 95 accord coupes had those antenna dots on the rear windshield.

sorry to hear that about your X5. maybe you lost reception quality because it was BMW
Old 03-28-06, 03:37 PM
sbasinger
Rookie

I have metallic tint and it DOES NOT INTERFERE WITH RECEPTION IN ANY WAY.
Old 03-28-06, 03:42 PM
onihc
I heart Honda

Originally Posted by sbasinger
I have metallic tint and it DOES NOT INTERFERE WITH RECEPTION IN ANY WAY.
then it must be BMW
Old 03-28-06, 03:42 PM
DirtySouth
Rookie

Ok, so.....several of you have mentioned you paid bucu bucks for this fabulous tint, but haven't said a word about whether or not it was worth it or whether you noticed a big difference in anything....

Sounds like a waist of money if you ask me, but thats just my 2 cents.
Old 03-28-06, 04:09 PM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I paid $400 for Huper Optik Ceramic 30 all around. It definitely cuts down on the heat transferrance (?) into the car. Unfortunately, it's very thick. The thickness makes it very difficult to install. Installers tend to use too much heat to shrink it into place which causes "ghosting". I was warned about this before I got it and alas, it came true. It looks like haze in spots from the outside in the sun. Nothing you can do about it once it's done. Second, it's so thick that there seems to be some "orange peel" texture to it. When inside and looking out, if you look VERY carefully you'll notice it. It doesn't bother me too much. Lastly, it gets bubbles very easy. For some reason because of the thickness they have a difficult time getting them all out. I've had some pin ***** sized bubbles start popping up on the sides. I like the look. However, if I had to do it over again I would have probably gone with 3M tint. Much easier to install and I probably wouldn't be complaining about these issues.

One final thing, when my installer installed the Huper they dinged up all four inside door window garnishs (the flat black plastic piece that goes up and around the window on the inside). They're having to replace two of them ($180). Still haven't received the money for it.

It's not that the guys weren't good installers (well, maybe a little questionable). I mean to be a Huper dealer you have to be certified and they're a bit selective. Instead, I think that it's just a little difficult to install. My recommendation would be to go with a different tint.
Old 03-28-06, 04:16 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by minger1179
Well ceramic tint is better than metallic tint since it won't interfere with the antennas in our rear windows as well as it is better at heat rejection. Supposedly, Huper is the best out there... german engineering and what BMW uses on most of their high end cars. Thank you for the feedback though.

No arguement that it may be one of the best, but can you tell? Did they show you what the difference is?

My Tint guy of 20 years sells Huber, but he tells me for most people, it's not worth paying the xtra money for what?

If you can appreciate the difference then go for it.

If you can't tell, but feel good spending money because those who know say it's better, that's up to you.

Let's not talk about the personal service they offer, you don't think that's free do you?
Old 03-28-06, 04:34 PM
onihc
I heart Honda

thanks ahohnstein for sharing your experience. $250 is the max i would pay for tint. i don't understand how huper optik tint may be better than metallic tint.

everyone's excuse here is that ceramic lined tint will not decrease radio/sat radio reception. will ceramic tints decrease in cabin temperature more than metallic? this should be the main reason tint film A is better than tint film B. reason should not be because of unproven reception issues.

this goes back to my point of marketing ceramic tints as better for reception rather than better for heat rejection.
Old 03-28-06, 04:38 PM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

It is my understanding that ceramics are the best heat reducers and have the best optical clarity when finished. That's what my tint man said, even though he tried to stear me to a metalic for the side windows.....
Old 03-28-06, 06:58 PM
buhda
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by onihc
i got suntek all around for $120. where are you located?
San Jose....arg dam character limits
Old 03-28-06, 07:24 PM
darrelld
Driver

Originally Posted by unit74
It is my understanding that ceramics are the best heat reducers and have the best optical clarity when finished. That's what my tint man said, even though he tried to stear me to a metalic for the side windows.....
I will find out about the heat rejection this summer. A typical Dallas day in July or August can easily hit a 100 degrees or more.

Here is an interesting Fox News story Huper Optik posted on their site.

http://www.huperoptikusa.com/videos/HO_Autofilm_sml.wmv
Old 03-28-06, 10:57 PM
onihc
I heart Honda

the film demonstrated on this footage is metallic. as described, their film has different alloys to react to the suns heat. that film is not the ceramic lined tint that you guys are putting on. for all you owners with ceramic tints, remember to keep us informed about heat rejection come summer time.

thanks
Old 03-29-06, 12:28 AM
emissivity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have experiences with Huper or any kind of tint, but I did look around the Bay Area and found this place http://www.automalltintfactory.com/270511.html . Check out their gallery section, it looks like they use both Suntek and Huper on some cars.
Old 03-29-06, 12:39 AM
buhda
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by emissivity
I don't have experiences with Huper or any kind of tint, but I did look around the Bay Area and found this place http://www.automalltintfactory.com/270511.html . Check out their gallery section, it looks like they use both Suntek and Huper on some cars.
That's who I got my tint from
Old 03-29-06, 12:45 AM
imaputz
Lexus Test Driver

how much did it cost bhuda?? how many windows did you do?

Quick Reply: Huper Optik Tint...