IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS 350 Stalled this morning...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-06, 02:43 PM
wawawa
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, good idea to start a poll. Everyone should report their model (250, AWD, MT, 350), how many times their cars have stalled, how long they've had their cars, etc.
Old 03-29-06, 02:49 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

My 350 hasn't stalled as of yet (knock on wood)

Right around 6500 miles on mine.
Old 03-29-06, 06:46 PM
ra1n
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ramon
My 350 hasn't stalled as of yet (knock on wood)

Right around 6500 miles on mine.

haha now THATS more like it!
Old 03-29-06, 07:18 PM
daveortega
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wawawa
yeah, good idea to start a poll. Everyone should report their model (250, AWD, MT, 350), how many times their cars have stalled, how long they've had their cars, etc.
My 350 is up to 2,500 miles over 2 months. The car has stalled a few times. If this turns out to be a widespread issue (and it looks like it is), this will hurt the IS's quality ranking.
Old 03-29-06, 08:10 PM
storm
Rookie

Originally Posted by daveortega
My 350 is up to 2,500 miles over 2 months. The car has stalled a few times. If this turns out to be a widespread issue (and it looks like it is), this will hurt the IS's quality ranking.
Initial quality means nothing, expect a few bugs with a new model with brand new engines. The important part is how the manufacturer will deal with the problem. Toyota won't risk their reputation for quality, i'm sure they'll deal with the problem.

Hopefully it will be a software update and nothing more.
Old 03-29-06, 08:55 PM
bnet504
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ra1n
Good God, is there ANYONE who HASN'T STALLED YET? All these posts about how everyone's had stalls are making me anxious and worried. Could stalling lead to further complications? I have yet to wait for my 250 to arrive.
I think you're kinda over reacting. There have only been a couple people post on this forum about stalling, while several thousand 250's have already been sold and I doubt everyone has stalled. People are more likely to come online to report a problem with their car than to come here and say they have no problems.
Old 03-29-06, 08:59 PM
Jhoo
Rookie

Going in for 5k service tomorrow, no stalling as of tonight!
Old 03-29-06, 09:40 PM
storm
Rookie

Originally Posted by bnet504
I think you're kinda over reacting. There have only been a couple people post on this forum about stalling, while several thousand 250's have already been sold and I doubt everyone has stalled. People are more likely to come online to report a problem with their car than to come here and say they have no problems.
Agreed, and even if there is a problem, do you really think Toyota isn't going to fix it? Worst case scenario, you have Lemon Buyback. That would be a PR nightmare for Toyota/Lexus.

To be honest, i'm surprised we didn't see more teething problems with the new IS. On the original model, you must remember it was sold in Japan starting in 1999, so there were a few years to work out the bugs before releasing it in the US. The new model had its worldwide launch in late 2005, and so far we haven't had reports or any serious issues.
Old 03-29-06, 09:51 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by storm
Agreed, and even if there is a problem, do you really think Toyota isn't going to fix it? Worst case scenario, you have Lemon Buyback. That would be a PR nightmare for Toyota/Lexus.

To be honest, i'm surprised we didn't see more teething problems with the new IS. On the original model, you must remember it was sold in Japan starting in 1999, so there were a few years to work out the bugs before releasing it in the US. The new model had its worldwide launch in late 2005, and so far we haven't had reports or any serious issues.
Not to mention the engine on the previous model was around well before the IS even came into existance.
Old 03-29-06, 10:09 PM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ramon
Not to mention the engine on the previous model was around well before the IS even came into existance.
Had my 350 since late Janurary and it hasn't stalled.
Old 03-29-06, 10:19 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Has anyone received any recall notices in the mail for Lexus/toyota for the new IS??
Old 03-29-06, 11:04 PM
storm
Rookie

I believe the only actual recall was for the IS250 AWD. There was a problem with the accelerator pedal sticking, I believe it was caused by carpet being too thick (the AWD models have a hump somewhere in the interior that the regular models don't have).

Pretty minor, and if you brought it in for the recall, Lexus mailed you an iPod Nano.
Old 03-30-06, 09:55 AM
Amber
Driver School Candidate

I have had 350 for 3 months, drive it every day, never has stalled. *knocking on some wood as I type this*
Old 03-30-06, 10:43 AM
sailing217
Pole Position

Default Past Yotas stalling

Probably not related, but I've owned a few toyotas in the past and all had the problem of stalling even when new or after a fresh tune up. It usually was after the car was warm, coming to a stop, the Tach would bounce and it would stall. Toyota would adjust the idle cable to spec settings of 1100 RPM when warm and it would be fine for a few years, then happen again. Now this is a new car and not sure if it's a idle setting via a cable or computer, but just my 2 cents. It happened on my corrolla, celica, 4runner. I haven't seen the other posts to see if it happens when the engine is cold. Maybe add that to the poll?
Old 03-30-06, 11:41 AM
IS350_F1
Driver School Candidate

Actually, it is good info to have specifically for the majority 250 owners, however the mention of the CPU Update is huge to tackle a "250" only issue-- seems abit rash. I would certainly want any and all CPU/ECU updates that become availible on my ride... even though I have not had any issues whatsoever. I would think the coverage issue would have to include the 350 as well... whether or not there are as substantial numbers (if any-- in comparison to the 250s) as there are with the 250 variants. At any rate... we have dropped avg. 35K, I know I for sure would not be waiting around for the check up to get it scoped out.

No Issues with stalls here in TX!!!
Knocking on wood like a wood pecker with rabies and a craving for flying tree bark in a tree farm!!

Quick Reply: IS 350 Stalled this morning...