IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS 350 Stalled this morning...

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-06, 05:55 AM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One would think that when it stalls on engine start, it would record in details the information of all the individual sensors at that time so a mechanic can tell what when wrong (with lots of error codes). So this problem can be easily traced. Right? I hope it is not the same as what you have described lubuxracer. That definitely sounds like a hardware problem. Like a bad cylinder o-ring.

I'm coming from a 1991 Volvo with not much electronics to it. I want to believed that with all the advancement in engine technology, new engines have more electronics parts not just to increase efficiency or horsepower. But also allow a mechanic with the right tools to stop playing guessing games when it comes to troubleshooting engine problems.
Old 07-26-06, 11:59 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,997 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Originally Posted by phatboyc
One would think that when it stalls on engine start, it would record in details the information of all the individual sensors at that time so a mechanic can tell what when wrong (with lots of error codes). So this problem can be easily traced. Right? I hope it is not the same as what you have described lubuxracer. That definitely sounds like a hardware problem. Like a bad cylinder o-ring.

I'm coming from a 1991 Volvo with not much electronics to it. I want to believed that with all the advancement in engine technology, new engines have more electronics parts not just to increase efficiency or horsepower. But also allow a mechanic with the right tools to stop playing guessing games when it comes to troubleshooting engine problems.
The no DTC recorded means it didn't capture data. It didn't see a fault or failure. While it would be great to record everything, there's no memory system large enough, reliable enough, and most importantly, cheap enough to do this.

It sounds like a problem with the evaporative emissions control. Fuel only gets into the engine through the injectors and the purge on the evap system. If the evap system were to be overwhelmed for some reason and liquid fuel collected in the charcoal filter sufficient to cause stalling, it might also be the root cause of the gasoline in the oil. That's my first thought anyway.

As I said, I need to look at TIS for the details of how the evap system works. ULEV II has very difficult to attain goals, and meeting those goals has far more to do with evaporative emissions than tailpipe emissions. This means the evap system is fairly complex and has quite a few moving parts. It is where I would start my investigation.
Old 08-01-06, 12:19 PM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back from dealer...

Well I brought my car in yesterday instead. Exactly what I was afraid of. No error code recorded so the mechanics said there is nothing they can do. I already had the latest CPU version. Since this is my first Lexus I’m very disappointed. I guess I’ll just keep an eye on the problem and see if it will happen again.

I was very proud last time it happened at a family reunion while everyone was watching me leave.