IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Pre-Collision System worth $2800?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-06, 12:26 AM
h777
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pre-Collision System worth $2800?

Just wondering for those of you that think the Pre-Collision System is worth the $2800 price tag? Also, those of you with the option, would it have been a deal breaker if you did not get it? Are there any problems with the Pre-Collision System reported?
Old 03-29-06, 12:32 AM
emissivity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my humble opinion, I think it's not worth it. I may be wrong until I see real world tests and feedback from people who have used it. In 1990, I thought the Honda Prelude with 4 wheel steering was an important option...I guess they canned that technology.
Old 03-29-06, 05:49 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I ordered it on my car, because I decided that safety is something I couldn't take for granted.

The photo below was the result of a 87yr old lady deciding to take an illegal left turn into oncoming traffic (night), as I was proceeding at 40mph through a green light. The first impact to the side fender was where the cars collided, while the frontal impact was the car deflecting head on into a wall.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-...SXWRECK001.JPG
^^ The damn thing had less than 5,000 miles on it too.

Luckily I was okay in general, but I did suffer neck and lower back injuries from suddenly being jolted forward by the sudden stop; enter the lexus pre-collision system. Had the RSX been equipped with this, it would not have necessarily stopped within that distance (who is to say, it depends on the tires), but it would have prepped the safety belts to restrain me BEFORE the impact, so that when I did hit, I would not have jolted forward hurting my lower back. In retrospect, I'd say $2,800 is well worth the price of avoiding the potential for such injury, not only to myself but other passengers riding with me. Better yet, I hope its a system I won't ever need to use, but as the saying goes- when you've avoided something, you usually never know you did.

Just my .02

oh, and I will be asking the insurance for a safety discount
Old 03-29-06, 07:55 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's worth it if you drive with cruise control most of the time. I guess if you use the IS to travel a lot, it would be worth it.

Since I drive in L.A. traffic everyday, I feel that it is not worth it for me.
Old 03-29-06, 11:57 AM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Every single time I set the cruise my jaw drops in disbelief. I just can't believe how wonderful it truly is. No more "coasting and then resuming". The first time I used it the car in front slowed down and then my Lexus slowed down I thought "ok, this is cool". Then when the car in front REALLY slowed down and my IS put on the brakes and IT really slowed I was in awe. Then, when all was clear, back up to the pre-set speed my car went. Gotta love it.

As for the PCS, I'm with Shinobi-X. Only takes that one time where I'll be so glad I spent the extra $2850. Check out the Lexus web site and read carefully what PCS does. I do believe it can be a lifesaver.

Besides isn't it cool to show off a car with "everything"?
Old 03-29-06, 02:58 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

something cool to have I think. I can't make a judgement cuz i don't have it. Who has it here???
Old 03-29-06, 03:38 PM
Lexustom
Advanced

Originally Posted by shaolin
something cool to have I think. I can't make a judgement cuz i don't have it. Who has it here???

I got it. And I'm so glad.
Old 03-29-06, 04:01 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I don't have it but had it been available without the need for me to wait 4+ months for delivery I probably would have got it.
Old 03-29-06, 04:23 PM
mwaull
Lexus Test Driver

I have it ordered on mine. . . I drive a lot on the highway traveling so I think it owuld be convenient. It would be nice if some kind of discount was available from our insurance . . .
Old 03-29-06, 05:08 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

I think I probably would have got it but here's what I was thinking. I never even use the regular cruise control on my cars. Because I drive way too fast. For those who have it, do you engage at normal speeds? When you get up in the 90s, would you still use it? I just never find myself cruising at or just about the speed limit.
Old 03-29-06, 05:27 PM
federalman
Rookie

how does the system work, anyone got picture of the sensor or a site with info on it.

thank you.
Old 03-29-06, 05:35 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I don't believe you need to actually be using cruise control for the pre-collission system to work.
Old 03-29-06, 05:38 PM
Lexustom
Advanced

I just set it at 125 mph and off I go. (just kidding) I find that setting it at about 75 (the limit has been 65 on the freeways I've used so far) works fine. If the cars in front of me are going 75 then so do I. Or of course if there are no cars in front of me I go at that pre-set speed. If the freeway is conjested and flowing between 65 and 70 for example, then the IS just trails along at that speed. I just pick the fastest lane (without jumping from lane to lane to lane).

As for cruising along at 90? Well maybe in my younger day. I just don't have the intestinal fortitude to go that fast. Not sure how I'd explain it to the CHP. AND I know that sooner or later I'd be facing that meeting.
Old 03-29-06, 07:27 PM
Turkoman
Pole Position

I ordered it on mine. More than the ACC, I wanted it for the PCS. I hope I never make use of the PCS but when I was deciding on which car to get, it was in the plus column for the IS.
Old 03-30-06, 06:41 PM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

Sounds like a cool feature, just beyond my price point. Anyway, here's my question:

Will the radar cruise control set off a radar detector? Put another way, would I constantly looking over my shoulder thinking the cops were behind me, when in fact it was actually the radar cruise control?

Quick Reply: Pre-Collision System worth $2800?