IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: How often do you disable the VDIM system?
Always -- Even going to the grocery store or post office.
2.44%
Frequently -- Whenever I get on the freeway.
5.69%
Sometimes -- For the weekend warrior.
37.40%
Never -- Why disable a safety feature?
54.47%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-07-15, 12:45 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Do you turn off VDIM?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-06, 09:40 AM
Jimmer350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxberry
I disabled it once just to see if the cheat code worked. Other than that, it stays enabled.
Ditto.

Point - Even on the track it shouldn't make that much of a difference. Haven't had the IS on the track yet but as we always pointed out to "newer" drivers with the BMW Club and the Exotic Auto Group, if you are smooth enough (which you should be) the traction control / VDIM or whatever shouldn't sense you are in "danger". Therefore it shouldn't really get in the way. On city roads, if it's getting in the way, you don't know what you are doing and should slow down....
Old 03-30-06, 10:45 AM
yellowssm
Lead Lap

Wow, I am the only one that turns it off all the time. I remeber once I turned it off when it was raining, talk about a good time.
Old 05-14-06, 09:15 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not turned it off yet..
Old 05-14-06, 11:28 AM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Can someone clearify all this for me?

What does the traction control button on the dash really disable?

What does doing the pedal dance do?

From reading this thread it sounds like

The Trac button allows for wheel spin below 30mph only? It will not allow the car to slide?

and the pedal dance allows you to slid the car around? Say drift the car?

If anyone is familiar with BMWs is it like DTC and DSC? Pushing the DTC button allows for some wheel spin to get you out of snow and holding the DTC button for more than 3 seconds disables Dynamic Stability Control and lets you slide the car around all you want?
Old 05-14-06, 07:51 PM
larsdenner
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jimmer350
Ditto.

Point - Even on the track it shouldn't make that much of a difference. Haven't had the IS on the track yet but as we always pointed out to "newer" drivers with the BMW Club and the Exotic Auto Group, if you are smooth enough (which you should be) the traction control / VDIM or whatever shouldn't sense you are in "danger". Therefore it shouldn't really get in the way. On city roads, if it's getting in the way, you don't know what you are doing and should slow down....
I'm not sure I agree. A skilled driver can stop faster than the average ABS on dry pavement. The same can be said for VSC/TRAC. The TRAC may kick in coming out of a corner if the car is unsettled and then turn off the throttle and that pretty much kills exit speed from the corner.

The Trac off button turns it off for speeds under 35mph (on my car). The pedal dance turns it off permanently for the driving session.

Hmm, I wonder if the button works like the BMW via holding it for 3 seconds. I thought I tried that but wouldn't hurt to do it again.
Old 05-14-06, 08:18 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by larsdenner
The Trac off button turns it off for speeds under 35mph (on my car). The pedal dance turns it off permanently for the driving session.

Hmm, I wonder if the button works like the BMW via holding it for 3 seconds. I thought I tried that but wouldn't hurt to do it again.
So its basically the same thing but one is turned off for only under 35 mph and the other is off for any speed.
Old 05-14-06, 09:03 PM
Style2k6
Pole Position

I read in another thread that the pedal dance is not neccesary

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=216622

Last edited by Style2k6; 05-14-06 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05-15-06, 05:38 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by larsdenner
I'm not sure I agree. A skilled driver can stop faster than the average ABS on dry pavement.
Perhaps at the advent of ABS systems, but not anymore. Grassroots motoring did both dry and wet test concerning this very test, and found the fronts have far too much brake bias for consistent stopping, without locking. While at the autoX, one of my buddies found himself pulsing the brakes before entering turns (as he was accustomed to street driving), when the instructor observing simply told him, "you've got ABS?" -yes- "then use it". This was in an 06 MX-5. I agree for the other stability and traction control systems though- as they are intendid for street use, they slow you down on the track, often stepping in before the tires have exceeded their traction limit.
Old 05-15-06, 09:22 AM
keeeeez
Pole Position

I answered Never - but not because "why disable a safety feature". It would be a hypocracy to say I don't disable it because I don't disable safety features when I don't even have TPS working on my car (sensors in the wheelbarrow hack).

The correct answer is Never - it seems unecessarily complicated for everyday, non-racing driving. I do press the Xtra-power button though (mods... please help me out with the correct term for this)
Old 06-05-06, 09:07 AM
monkeyfarm
Driver

Originally Posted by keeeeez
I answered Never - but not because "why disable a safety feature". It would be a hypocracy to say I don't disable it because I don't disable safety features when I don't even have TPS working on my car (sensors in the wheelbarrow hack).

The correct answer is Never - it seems unecessarily complicated for everyday, non-racing driving. I do press the Xtra-power button though (mods... please help me out with the correct term for this)
The button doesn't provide any extra power. The engine provides 306hp regardless of where the button is. What it changes is throttle mapping and shift points.
Old 06-23-06, 08:55 PM
FITYSCENTS
Rookie

Default Experience

i HAVE DRIVEN MY CAR TO THE LIMITS SEVERAL TIMES WITH IT ON AND OFF AROUND CORNERS.

WITH VDIM ON IT IS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO GET INTO TROUBLE THE THROTTLE CUTS OUT AND SLIGHT BRAKES IS APPLIED WHEN YOU ARE LOSING TRACTION AROUND A CORNER.

WITH VDIM OFF. THE CAR TURNS INTO A BEAST. YOU CAN TAKE CORNERS AT MUCH FASTER SPEEDS. ALTHOUGH YOU HAVE TO BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TOO SPIN OUT WITH ALL THAT TORQUE AND POWER TO THE REAR WHEELS. WHILE PRACTICING DRIFTING I LOST CONTROL ONCE. THE CAR JUST GOT TAIL HAPPY!!!!!!

ALL IN ALL FOR 98% OF DRIVERS THE VDIM IS DEFINITELY A GOOD THING. I ALLOWS YOU TO DRIVE THE CAR TO 90% OF ITS LIMIT IN A VERY CONSERVATIVE SAFE MANNER. THE OTHER 2% OF US CAN ENJOY 100% OF THE CAR'S POTENTIAL WITH IT OFF!!!
Old 06-23-06, 09:05 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FITYSCENTS
ALL IN ALL FOR 98% OF DRIVERS THE VDIM IS DEFINITELY A GOOD THING. I ALLOWS YOU TO DRIVE THE CAR TO 90% OF ITS LIMIT IN A VERY CONSERVATIVE SAFE MANNER. THE OTHER 2% OF US CAN ENJOY 100% OF THE CAR'S POTENTIAL WITH IT OFF!!!
for the 2%