IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Does the IS250 lack horsepower?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-06, 06:51 AM
dfw350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the IS350 without options.
Can always add NAVI/ML when you get money but you'll have the power.
Old 03-31-06, 06:54 AM
heasyrider
Rookie

I currently drive an 04, 4cyl TSX, which is probably the same engine as in the Accord for all I know. I will not be purchasing a new car until at least towards the end of this year and I also wondered if I would feel more power with the 250. I will test drive the 250 latter in the year. Most of the time, I am OK with the TSX's power, except when I am slowing down and then immediately try to speed up.
Old 03-31-06, 06:59 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tracerit
my choices now is basically the is250 or acura TL.
You already drive a FWD car, so unless you're after RWD or AWD, I'd go with the Acura TL. Its an excellent car by any means, has more power than the 250, more standard features, you can haggle the already cheaper price more effectively as its now older, and it has more space. My main gripes with the vehicle are its lack of road feel, over-assisted power steering, and inability to handle, coupled with a huge turn radius. Otherwise, its a potent vehicle thats a great value. Dive both cars and see for yourself.
Old 03-31-06, 07:44 AM
C280to250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Turkoman
I am getting the 250. When I first went to Lexus to look at the IS, I looked at the specs on paper and I wrote off the 250 as being weak. 204 really sounds anemic for today's standards. I was impressed with the 350 but no AWD available so I decided to wait. About 4-5 months later, I got my car itch again so I started looking at the M35x, BMW 5 and the RL. All great cars and none felt right. So while I stopped by Lexus again to take a look at the GS300 AWD (which to me felt more like an ES), I asked the rep to bring out a 250 for comparison. I can tell you, it felt great! In fact, it felt as peppy as the M35 and the RL although in a drag race, those would win.

As I am waiting impatiently after I placed my 250 AWD order, I kept wondering if I should have gotten the 350. So to put the question to rest, I have actually done what 4Teh has suggested. The Lexus rep brought over a 250 AWD and a 350. Took them around winding back roads with fast and slow corners and highway ramps and a stretch of highway. Used the same route for both, back to back. I can tell you, the 250 still feels like it has a lot more than 204 horses (It is also rumored that Lexus down played the horses on the 250 by 20-30). In windy roads, the difference was barely noticeable to me, especially in slow corners, where the AWD felt better. On the highway ramp, my wife in the 250 took off so fast while I was in the 350, it took me a few more seconds to catch up than I anticipated (In fact I would say that for the first 2-3 seconds the AWD had the edge because it must be just gripping and going). Once we were on the open highway though, the 350 really showed itself and before we knew it I flew past her at 110 mph (which honestly felt like 50 by the way).

To make a long post short, the 350's hp difference is clearly noticeable, esp when you are taking off a highway ramp of drag racing with another car from a red light. No ands, ifs or buts. The IS 250 definitely feels very sporty (probably sporty enough for most mortals) and definitely worth a look. I can guarantee you that most who have bought 350s have done so without trying the 250 based on the anemic appearing figures on paper. What is important is how you feel when you drive the car. If you drive it and it feels anemic to you, then get the 350. If it feels just right, get the 250.

As they say, "don't knock it till you have tried it". I did not change my order and I am sticking with teh 250 AWD.

My long 2 cents worth.
AMEN 2
Old 03-31-06, 08:31 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by heasyrider
I currently drive an 04, 4cyl TSX, which is probably the same engine as in the Accord for all I know. I will not be purchasing a new car until at least towards the end of this year and I also wondered if I would feel more power with the 250. I will test drive the 250 latter in the year. Most of the time, I am OK with the TSX's power, except when I am slowing down and then immediately try to speed up.
i drive my bros 04 TSX, great car, the IS250 has more torque tho being a V6 and around the same hp as the TSX. I think the TSX has more road feel being more of a sports sedan and the IS leans more towards luxury. Test drive will answer many questions, test drive a 250 before any 350, not the other way around
Old 03-31-06, 10:57 AM
shox
Pole Position

I will say this, if you have money and you know you'll use 306 HP, then get a IS350.

Me, I didn't have that much money. And, as much as I would love a IS350, a IS250 AWD was somewhat more practical where I live. It all depends on how you use your car.

I've just test drove the IS350 last week, and I will admit, the IS250 is slow compared to the IS350. But you can't compare the speed (or rate of acceleration) of the two cars, they're in totally different categories. Test drive both, and see which you like.

I've never test drove the 2.0T, or the C-Class, but from what I've heard and been told by friends and relatives that have owned Audi's, Benz's, BMW's, Lexus has far better service. But, that's just where I live too, could be different elsewhere.
Old 03-31-06, 01:12 PM
dfw350
Lead Lap

Is250/350 whatever both nice luxurious cars.
Old 03-31-06, 07:48 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tracerit
I'm currently driving an 04 accord 4cyl. the 4cyl works for me, but i'd like to have something a bit more powerful. by next year i'll be able to afford a nicer car, and was looking at leasing an insanely powerful is350 or a 330i. but i'd rather own my car, and that means i'll have to get something less expensive. my choices now is basically the is250 or acura TL.

my main question is: has anyone gone from a +205hp car to the IS250 and concluded that the IS250 isn't quite that powerful?

or should i just spend a little more and finance the is350 fully loaded? because i'm going to keep either of these cars for at least six or so years, and would deeply regret owning the is250 when i can afford something stronger.
My last car was a '00 Maxima. I was ready for something faster/more powerful, so the 250 wasn't going to cut the mustard for me.
Old 03-31-06, 08:18 PM
CodyLexus
Driver

tracerit,
I had a 2000 Accord with AEM V2 intake, high flow catalytic, and full Greddy cat back. All this no doubt upped the performance of the stock Accord but can no way compete with how my 250 feels and drives. I believe the stock horsepower for the "04 Accord 4 cyl is 160 hp, so I believe you will be pleased with the 250. The 350 is powerful yes, but if you can't afford it what's the sense.
Old 04-01-06, 04:43 AM
federalman
Rookie

IS250 is more than enough for daily use. you have to consider gearing too.
You can have lot of HP but not able to use it cause of gearing and engine power band.

go Test drive the car, get the feel of it, IS got more than enough HP for daily use for sure.

and there is no such thing is enough power, soon you will get used to the power, and you will need more power to get the feel of the speed.
Old 04-01-06, 07:04 AM
Bobs SC
Driver

I just finished my lease of 39 months on an SC430 and now I am in a IS250AWD. I must say I am pleasantly surprised with the power. Of course it is not in the same category of speed as the SC but when the winter comes I sure wish I had that all wheel drive vehicle over the sports car. I guess if you can have 2 cars one for the winter months and one for the rest of the year I would of got the 350. Since I dont want to insure 2 vehicles just to have the safety of the snowstorms the IS250 was more practical
Old 04-01-06, 07:20 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by federalman
IS250 is more than enough for daily use. you have to consider gearing too.
You can have lot of HP but not able to use it cause of gearing and engine power band.

go Test drive the car, get the feel of it, IS got more than enough HP for daily use for sure.

and there is no such thing is enough power, soon you will get used to the power, and you will need more power to get the feel of the speed.
You'd have a point about the gearing if the 350 had poor geering, thats not the case however so its a non-issue as far as the 250 vs 350 power is concerned.
Old 04-01-06, 07:28 AM
jettie1767
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why does everyone seem to just say if you have the money go for the 350? To me, it was more a question of what was practical for me. Since I'm in the northeast, I wanted to get an awd since I was trading in my suv and I needed a snow car. So, the 250 awd was my chice. Power was not a big issue. While it's good to know how much hp your car has, do you really need all of it and use all of it everyday? I didn't buy my car to race other cars on the road. So, hp was definitely not the main reason I chose the 250.
Old 04-01-06, 11:05 AM
antics22
Driver School Candidate

When we got our IS, we test drove both, and the 250 felt extremely anemic compared to the 350.... on the 250, you hit the gas, and the car slooooly ramps up to pick up speed.... on the 350, you hit the gas and it goes...

We also made the mistake of test driving the 350 BEFORE the 250, so it made the feeling even worse...

My fiance would not settle for the 250 after that, and we ended up choosing the IS350....

Best advice would be for you to try both and make the determination yourself. After that, you will have to JUSTIFY the cost and once you work that out, id say, get the 350
Old 04-01-06, 11:20 AM
LexAppeal
Rookie

I've been originally planning on getting the 250 with options but now will get the 350 if I can find a base model without any of the packages. I found out the insurance difference isn't too much for me. I don't speed but the thought of all that power is intoxicating. Just test drive both and make a decision. It really depends on what car your coming from to see if it's adequate power. I'm coming from a car with a 0-60 time of 11secs on a good day so a 250 or a 350 would be a drastic improvement. The 250 is more than enough speed for alot of people it seems from what I'm reading on here.

You have to remember the 350 is rediculously quick. Fastest in it's class. If I can't find a base 350 then I'll be more than content with a 250 with some options. Either way good luck and we'll both be in the Lexus IS club soon enough

Quick Reply: Does the IS250 lack horsepower?