IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Doubts to be clarified: 1st post

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-06, 08:12 AM
nirvana257
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doubts to be clarified: 1st post

This is my first post..So forgive me if this question of mine has already been asked a 1000 times...

I went to the dealer yesterday and he said that since i have ordered a Black Lexus IS 250 , it would be advisable if i did the Auto Armor Teflon Finish with them. This will supposedly ensure that i won't have to wax the car for 5 years and it will combat acid rain , tree sap, fading and flaking..Its even backed up by a 5 year guarnatee.. This procedure will cost about 400$. Is it worth the money?? has anyone done this before???...

Also , Does all regions have the IS250 AWD come standard with the spolier . My dealer in CT, said it was standard atleast in the Northeast region

Also , i've been reading this post for sometime now , can someone please clarify for this layman what IMO stands for..i see it used in many of the posts..

Last edited by nirvana257; 04-02-06 at 08:16 AM.
Old 04-02-06, 08:32 AM
DagsIS350
Driver School Candidate

Welcome! Congrats on the new car. I hope it comes soon. When I got my 1999 Land Cruiser it already had a Teflon coating installed (I refused to pay for it). But, it made the paint very slick (but, the paint on a new car should be) for a while. Honestly, I dont think it's worth the money. I still have the Land Cruiser and the paint looks great. I guess it all depends on how you take care of it. Its parked in the garage and detailed about twice a year. Teflon coating is designed as a cash cow for the finance department ie. interior fabric protectant, lojack, extended warranty. Dont get it! I would wax it when needed and make sure to remove any debris such as bird droppings immediately. The paint on the lexus is very thin.

I don't know the answer in regards to the AWD IS250s. I'm on the West Coast and have not seen that many on the lot. I've seen maybe 3 and they didn't have a spoiler. It doesn't rain or snow much in San Diego or LA. I had my spoiler put on after it came in.

IMO- "In My Opinion", IMHO- "In My Honest Opinion"

Last edited by DagsIS350; 04-02-06 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-02-06, 08:52 AM
IS250-AWD
Driver School Candidate

"Also , Does all regions have the IS250 AWD come standard with the spolier . My dealer in CT, said it was standard atleast in the Northeast region"

Got my IS 250 AWD in Warwick, RI and it didn't come with the spoiler. I have seen a number of IS 250's in their lot and have yet to see a spoiler on any of them.
Old 04-02-06, 08:54 AM
IS250-AWD
Driver School Candidate

"Also , i've been reading this post for sometime now , can someone please clarify for this layman what IMO stands for..i see it used in many of the posts."

I believe IMO stands for " In My Opinion".
Old 04-02-06, 09:37 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The spoiler is not standard equipment. It's an accessory. And yes, you're right about the IMO
Old 04-02-06, 10:00 AM
BlitzIS350
Pole Position

dont bother with the teflon stuff. its a complete waste of money. the actual product costs between $10-20 for all the material. i spoke with an independant body shop for lexus and the owner told me that it was a waste of money and that he would even give me the product if i wanted it.
Old 04-02-06, 11:12 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the only thing you should consider when buying the teflon is the warranty piece. if there is a 5-year warranty on the paint, you might want to consider if that is worth the $$$ to you. I don't think it is worth $400 but maybe $200. four years down the road, i promise you there will be people here that say the paint on their car is crappy and looks horrible even though they've washed and waxed weekly. if you buy the teflon, you might just be able to get new paint after 4 years. read the terms of the warranty and then decide.
Old 04-02-06, 11:53 AM
antics22
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kensteele
the only thing you should consider when buying the teflon is the warranty piece. if there is a 5-year warranty on the paint, you might want to consider if that is worth the $$$ to you. I don't think it is worth $400 but maybe $200. four years down the road, i promise you there will be people here that say the paint on their car is crappy and looks horrible even though they've washed and waxed weekly. if you buy the teflon, you might just be able to get new paint after 4 years. read the terms of the warranty and then decide.
KENSTEELE,

You are absolutely correct. Don't let ANYONE tell you that there is this miracle product that creates a magic bubble around your vehicle... There is no such thing.

Yes they are going to put a product on your vehicle, and yes it might even work to a certain extent, but what you have to keep in mind is that you are actually paying for a WARRANTY that will pay for any damage during the 5 years.

If I were you, I would inspect the warranty portion of it and find out exactly WHAT's covered, WHAT's NOT covered. and most importantly, WHAT VOIDS IT.

If its rather comprehensive, $400 or so is DEFENITELY worth it because they basically guarantee that the car will look just as new as when you purchased it for 5 years. This would come in superhandy if you were to trade or resell the vehicle during that time, because you would have this "wear & tear" warranty to revert things to factory new conditions.

If the warranty coverage is spotty, or vague... then I would pass because chances are you will have to jump through hoops to get them to cover any damages not outlined by the warranty...

As an autobroker for the credit union here is California, we sell something called Final Seal wich covers leather, vinyl, and the exterior paint for 6 years. But when members purchase this, they are educated on what exactly it is they're buying.. which is a "wear & tear" warranty... We cover EVERYTHING in writing except for acts of vandalism. They also get a renewer kit that you apply once every year to keep the products on the vehicle (because I guarantee you that the product will not stay on your vehicle for 5 years straight).

We have not had any problems in the 35 years weve been offering this...

Last edited by antics22; 04-02-06 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-02-06, 12:24 PM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMHO stands for in my humble opinion. dont get caught up in internet acronyms. they arent worth the hassle and some people think that its the AOL-isation of the net.
Old 04-02-06, 01:38 PM
BShears
Rookie

What dealer in CT did you buy your car from? I went to three in CT and not one IS had a spoiler, nobody even mentioned it. I ordered my car from McDermott of New Haven.
Old 04-02-06, 02:20 PM
NotFatBoy
Pole Position

DO NOT get the coating. it's a waste of money.
Old 04-02-06, 02:32 PM
nirvana257
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BShears
What dealer in CT did you buy your car from? I went to three in CT and not one IS had a spoiler, nobody even mentioned it. I ordered my car from McDermott of New Haven.
i ordered my car from lexus of greenwich .. after reading allthe replies i'm really beginning to wonder if the salesperson was pulling a fast one on me.. i have to revalidate it with him again ..

That poses another question !! is the SPOLIER WORTH AS an ACCESSORY ???
Old 04-02-06, 03:08 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

depends if you like the look and want it for that price, you can get the OEM spoiler pre painted cheaper from sponsors other than the dealer
Old 04-02-06, 03:11 PM
LexAppeal
Rookie

Spoiler is for looks. Is it worth it to you for looks?
Old 04-02-06, 04:28 PM
BShears
Rookie

Originally Posted by nirvana257
lexus of greenwich

I dealt with John Annunziato there. Without much negotiation they offered me $2,200 below MSRP on an IS 250 AWD. He was great. I ended up getting $3,000 below MSRP at McDermott in New Haven.

Quick Reply: Doubts to be clarified: 1st post