IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Who is or will be the primary driver for your IS?
Male Driver with 350
63.69%
Female Driver with 350
8.38%
Male Driver with 250
23.46%
Female Driver with 250
4.47%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Ratio of males to females driving the IS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-06, 05:41 AM
Lem144
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had to add a Lake Tahoe picture.

I was out there last month. Fun times. I miss living in the bay area.
Attached Thumbnails Ratio of males to females driving the IS?-squaw3.jpg  
Old 04-05-06, 05:43 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll be the primary driver of an IS 350, but the lady will also have her setting (#2) on the memory seating.
Old 04-05-06, 06:34 AM
jasoncd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SportyStar
Wow, FANTASTIC pics, Sexi! Just watch, the number of thread views are gonna skyrocket!! I guess I've been so busy driving the car, haven't had the chance to take any pictures (well, no "decent" ones anyway ). But I *do* have a nice scenic shot of snow-capped mountains and myself. Let me see if I can resize it to post. I'll definitely have to try snowboarding one of these days! Sounds like fun!
No kidding, those are awesome pictures Sexi!

I'll continue to stay on-topic by going off-topic
Definitely recommend snowboarding. We were out at Squaw during February. Mostly skiers there. Not having to carry around all the ski gear alone is worth boarding I found it alot easier than skiing. After the first couple dozen falls...

Oh, I'm male
Old 04-05-06, 06:37 AM
Lem144
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jasoncd
No kidding, those are awesome pictures Sexi!

I'll continue to stay on-topic by going off-topic
Definitely recommend snowboarding. We were out at Squaw during February. Mostly skiers there. Not having to carry around all the ski gear alone is worth boarding I found it alot easier than skiing. After the first couple dozen falls...

Oh, I'm male
All of what equipment? Two poles? Come on, all I hear are snowboarders *****ing about having to walk on the flats. "Oh, I wont do that trail - it's too flat". LOL. Then they all sit right down in the middle of the trail, usually 5 or 6 of you!

Ok, I feel better now.
Old 04-05-06, 07:26 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Off-topic:
I agree that snowboarders are annoying! Not only do they complain about flat trails, push all the good snow off the trails, and stop in the middle of trails, but they also have to stop at the top of every lift to strap in. Skiing with them is such a hassle! But all of my friends snowboard, so I have no choice...

On-topic:

In this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=206167 it gives Lexus marketing information stating that 75% of IS buyers are male. It also says that 50% are under 40, and 68% are first-time Lexus buyers. I am all three.

Now that the original question has been answered, you can all go back to posting pictures of handbags, firearms, and ski resorts...
Old 04-05-06, 07:29 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by S54toIS350
Financial Consultant - loans and investments.

Heres a tip, your car payment should not exceed 8% of your gross monthly income. Some stray to say 5% but I like to indulge and say 8%

For guys we have our nice Rolexes, for girls they have their duffle bag to carry their goodies
5% seems a little strict... For people making $700 lease payments, that would mean you have to make $168k per year... 8% would require $105k, which still seems a little high.

I don't think there should be a general rule - it depends on a lot of other things in your life, like other expenses, how old you are, what else you are saving up for, etc.
Old 04-05-06, 07:42 AM
Lem144
Intermediate

Originally Posted by diablo1
5% seems a little strict... For people making $700 lease payments, that would mean you have to make $168k per year... 8% would require $105k, which still seems a little high.

I don't think there should be a general rule - it depends on a lot of other things in your life, like other expenses, how old you are, what else you are saving up for, etc.
$700 lease payment?!?! WTF. On an IS? My car payment will be less than that. Financed with $1500 down.
Old 04-05-06, 07:50 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

On-topic:

In this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=206167 it gives Lexus marketing information stating that 75% of IS buyers are male. It also says that 50% are under 40, and 68% are first-time Lexus buyers. I am all three.
Same here. This is not my first car in the Toyota family though...

I think the 250 will definately appeal to men and women 50:50. The 350 will most likely appeal to men: women 75:25.
Old 04-05-06, 07:57 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sexi_Lexi
I was lucky enough to be able to hit the slopes twice this year. Once at Tahoe (Squaw Valley) and once at Big Bear. I haven't been to Mammoth yet but definitely want to go! I've heard that once you ski and try snowboarding, it's harder vs. the other way around. I haven't tried skiing yet so I can't tell you whether it's harder or not. But you should try snowboarding sometimes Sporty...it's really fun!
Ahh I'm so jealous. I wish I lived on the west coast so I could enjoy all that powder you guys get. I just went to Stratton this past weekend to go snowboarding and it was very patchy and slushy. I've been going boarding almost every weekend since December to various mountains in NY, PA, NJ, and VT, but have yet to venture over to the west and experience real pow. As you can see from the pic below, there isn't much left, but that won't stop me from going to Killington this weekend!

BTW, that's my board on the left... Burton Vapor!

I went from skiing to boarding and I won't be going back b/c the latter is just a lot more fun, albeit challenging at first. Once you get the hang of it, you get a feeling of euphoria like no other.
Old 04-05-06, 08:09 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lem144
$700 lease payment?!?! WTF. On an IS? My car payment will be less than that. Financed with $1500 down.
Go to lexus.com and option out a 350 with sport and nav. MSRP = $43,069. Go to payment estimator, select "very good" credit, no cap reduction, 36 month lease, 12k miles/yr. You will get a payment of $676. Add 8% sales tax and you have $730.

On the other hand, if you finance with $1500 down over 60 months, and add in the sales tax, your payment will be $904.

Payments on a 250 will obviously be substantially lower.

Last edited by diablo1; 04-05-06 at 08:14 AM.
Old 04-05-06, 08:19 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Lol, we agree on something.
Old 04-05-06, 08:26 AM
Lem144
Intermediate

Go to lexus.com and option out a 350 with sport and nav. MSRP = $43,069. Go to payment estimator, select "very good" credit, no cap reduction, 36 month lease, 12k miles/yr. You will get a payment of $676. Add 8% sales tax and you have $730.

On the other hand, if you finance with $1500 down over 60 months, and add in the sales tax, your payment will be $904.

Payments on a 250 will obviously be substantially lower.
That is a lot of money to basically rent a car. I'm doing mine at about $35,500. 60 mo comes in around 670-680 a month. 72 mon comes around 590/mo.
Old 04-05-06, 08:35 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

That is a lot of money to basically rent a car. I'm doing mine at about $35,500. 60 mo comes in around 670-680 a month. 72 mon comes around 590/mo.
Leasing is quite different from renting a car, and for many people, it can make more sense than financing.

For about an extra $20/month I am driving a car that is $8,000 more expensive. If I want to buy the car at the end of the lease, I can. If not, I just give it back, without the hassle of finding a buyer, negotiating a selling price, etc.
Old 04-05-06, 08:51 AM
Lem144
Intermediate

Leasing is quite different from renting a car, and for many people, it can make more sense than financing.

For about an extra $20/month I am driving a car that is $8,000 more expensive. If I want to buy the car at the end of the lease, I can. If not, I just give it back, without the hassle of finding a buyer, negotiating a selling price, etc.
Ok, not to turn this into a discussion on leasing v. financing. At the end of 3 years I'll have some equity built into mine and over the 3 years won't worry as much about issues they could ding me for at the lease end or keeping my miles down, especially in a car as nice as the IS. Oh, and sticker on my car is $39 and change, so yours is just $4000 more.

Anyway, it's a lot of money to pay for a lease, IMO. Especially if and when they have special lease deals they should be around $399 or $499. A RX400h is now $499/mo on lease. That isn't bad, for a $48k car, with $2k down.
Old 04-05-06, 09:01 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, not to turn this into a discussion on leasing v. financing. At the end of 3 years I'll have some equity built into mine and over the 3 years won't worry as much about issues they could ding me for at the lease end or keeping my miles down, especially in a car as nice as the IS. Oh, and sticker on my car is $39 and change, so yours is just $4000 more.

Anyway, it's a lot of money to pay for a lease, IMO. Especially if and when they have special lease deals they should be around $399 or $499. A RX400h is now $499/mo on lease. That isn't bad, for a $48k car, with $2k down.
This thread hasn't had a "topic" since page 3, so I wouldn't worry about going off topic.

That's fine if you think financing is better than leasing. The reason they offer both choices is that different options appeal to different people.

When you buy a car, you are buying a depreciating asset. When you lease, you pay for only the value that you "use up" through depreciation during the term of the lease. When you buy, you pay for the whole thing. If you consider someone who leased for 3 years, they paid only for the value of the car they used up during that time. Someone who bought and then sold it after 3 years has paid for the entire value up front, but then gets back the depreciated value after 3 years. To me it sounds like pretty much the same thing.

If you are planning to keep the car for 5+ years, then I agree with you that buying is better. Personally, I'm hoping to be able to upgrade in 3 years.

Quick Reply: Ratio of males to females driving the IS?