IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Who is or will be the primary driver for your IS?
Male Driver with 350
63.69%
Female Driver with 350
8.38%
Male Driver with 250
23.46%
Female Driver with 250
4.47%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Ratio of males to females driving the IS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-06, 09:18 AM
Lem144
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by diablo1
This thread hasn't had a "topic" since page 3, so I wouldn't worry about going off topic.

That's fine if you think financing is better than leasing. The reason they offer both choices is that different options appeal to different people.

When you buy a car, you are buying a depreciating asset. When you lease, you pay for only the value that you "use up" through depreciation during the term of the lease. When you buy, you pay for the whole thing. If you consider someone who leased for 3 years, they paid only for the value of the car they used up during that time. Someone who bought and then sold it after 3 years has paid for the entire value up front, but then gets back the depreciated value after 3 years. To me it sounds like pretty much the same thing.

If you are planning to keep the car for 5+ years, then I agree with you that buying is better. Personally, I'm hoping to be able to upgrade in 3 years.
I agree, mostly, and this is why I am considering leasing. But only if it comes in at least $150/mo lower than my payment. On the other hand, there hasnt been a car that I lusted after (lost sleep even) until the IS. All my other cars I did not hold such passion for. That said, I dont know if I'm keeping it over 3 years. Anyway, I will know more when I sit down with the finance guy and find out what my numbers are.
Old 04-05-06, 10:46 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lem144
I agree, mostly, and this is why I am considering leasing. But only if it comes in at least $150/mo lower than my payment. On the other hand, there hasnt been a car that I lusted after (lost sleep even) until the IS. All my other cars I did not hold such passion for. That said, I dont know if I'm keeping it over 3 years. Anyway, I will know more when I sit down with the finance guy and find out what my numbers are.
I thought you already had your car (according to your signature)?
Old 04-05-06, 11:04 AM
Lem144
Intermediate

I thought you already had your car (according to your signature)?
Soon. So soon.

=)
Old 04-05-06, 11:44 AM
zomg!11
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sexi_Lexi
Ask and you shall receive. I'll post a few of my car. The rest are in my gallery...
great pics. i guess i have to post some pics of my car too. i'll try to get around to it today.
Old 04-05-06, 11:48 AM
Kipperm13
Driver

Go to lexus.com and option out a 350 with sport and nav. MSRP = $43,069. Go to payment estimator, select "very good" credit, no cap reduction, 36 month lease, 12k miles/yr. You will get a payment of $676. Add 8% sales tax and you have $730.

On the other hand, if you finance with $1500 down over 60 months, and add in the sales tax, your payment will be $904.

Payments on a 250 will obviously be substantially lower.

Are you guys crazy I have the 350 with Lux PA and HW... MSRP=43,669. I up nothing down just taxes up front and my payments are $540 for 36 months. I don't know where or why someone would pay $700
Old 04-05-06, 11:52 AM
Lem144
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kipperm13
Are you guys crazy I have the 350 with Lux PA and HW... MSRP=43,669. I up nothing down just taxes up front and my payments are $540 for 36 months. I don't know where or why someone would pay $700

That sounds reasonable. If I could get my payment at $400-450 I will lease it.
Old 04-05-06, 11:54 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

I'm glad that you feel you got a good deal. Part of the reason your payments are so low is that paying taxes upfront is equivalent to a down payment of almost $2000. If I had paid that much up front my monthly payments would be much lower too.

You also probably got a really good money factor on your lease.

Last edited by diablo1; 04-05-06 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-05-06, 12:06 PM
Kipperm13
Driver

I'm glad that you feel you got a good deal. Part of the reason your payments are so low is that paying taxes upfront is equivalent to a down payment of almost $2000. If I had paid that much up front my monthly payments would be much lower too.

You also probably got a really good money factor on your lease.

Even with taxes in my payment its till would be in the high $500, but then again i did get 3,000 off the MSRP.
Old 04-05-06, 12:07 PM
zomg!11
Rookie

Originally Posted by SportyStar
Wow, FANTASTIC pics, Sexi! Just watch, the number of thread views are gonna skyrocket!! I guess I've been so busy driving the car, haven't had the chance to take any pictures (well, no "decent" ones anyway ). But I *do* have a nice scenic shot of snow-capped mountains and myself. Let me see if I can resize it to post. I'll definitely have to try snowboarding one of these days! Sounds like fun!
haha cute pic. yeah i know, since i got the car i haven't taken a single picture of it because i'm so freakin' busy all the time.
Old 04-05-06, 12:10 PM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Even with taxes in my payment its till would be in the high $500, but then again i did get 3,000 off the MSRP.
That explains it then.
Old 04-05-06, 12:25 PM
Lem144
Intermediate

That explains it then.
So based on the discussion, having a lease rate of $425 sounds somewhat reasonable. If I am leasing $35,500 OTD. Also, I get waived security deposit since I am a recent college grad. Maybe $450/mo. This with about $1500 down total at signing. Am I a bit off?
Old 04-05-06, 12:33 PM
SportyStar
Driver

Originally Posted by SGT
I went from skiing to boarding and I won't be going back b/c the latter is just a lot more fun, albeit challenging at first. Once you get the hang of it, you get a feeling of euphoria like no other.
NICE board! Something interesting I noticed last time I went skiing, even the ski patrols were on snowboards instead of skis. Hmm, I wonder can you actually go as fast on a board vs. skis? Seems like skiing would be faster (depending on the skier, of course), but then again, I've seen some boarders zooming by faster than me sometimes.
Old 04-05-06, 12:40 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SportyStar
NICE board! Something interesting I noticed last time I went skiing, even the ski patrols were on snowboards instead of skis. Hmm, I wonder can you actually go as fast on a board vs. skis? Seems like skiing would be faster (depending on the skier, of course), but then again, I've seen some boarders zooming by faster than me sometimes.
Thanks, I still think skis are faster. Why, I'm not sure... not exactly great in physics. You should give it shot, but I highly recommend taking a few lessons. Some of my friends refuse to take lessons but then they just end up being able to only do toe or heel turns. Plus you'd definitely be able to pick it up faster with an instructor guiding you.
Old 04-05-06, 01:07 PM
SportyStar
Driver

Originally Posted by SGT
Ahh I'm so jealous. I wish I lived on the west coast so I could enjoy all that powder you guys get. I just went to Stratton this past weekend to go snowboarding and it was very patchy and slushy. I've been going boarding almost every weekend since December to various mountains in NY, PA, NJ, and VT, but have yet to venture over to the west and experience real pow. As you can see from the pic below, there isn't much left, but that won't stop me from going to Killington this weekend!
Time to move to the west coast! Yes, the snow gods have been good to us, with plenty of fresh powder this season (although I haven't been able to enjoy much skiing thanks to work and bad luck, i.e., on my days off it was storming, so much that the resort had to close the gondola). My fave ski trip of all time was in Park City, UT (Deer Valley and the Canyons). I'm surprised how different the landscaping and atmosphere looks at east coast vs. west coast ski resorts (i.e. here we mostly see lush green pine trees, but in UT and from the pics I've seen of east coast resorts, it seems more airy, with thinner, graceful trees in earth (tan / brown) toned colors.
Old 04-05-06, 01:20 PM
SportyStar
Driver

Originally Posted by SGT
Thanks, I still think skis are faster. Why, I'm not sure... not exactly great in physics. You should give it shot, but I highly recommend taking a few lessons. Some of my friends refuse to take lessons but then they just end up being able to only do toe or heel turns. Plus you'd definitely be able to pick it up faster with an instructor guiding you.
Thanks, that's a good idea about taking lessons. With skiing, I did it the hard way and never took lessons ... so I'm sure I've developed bad habits which I may never overcome ... although I can ski the black diamonds, somehow I always still feel like a novice. I've seen how nice the ski patrols ski, and wish I could at least ski like them one day. Or maybe I should just switch to snowboarding and see what happens.

Well, I don't remember ever getting higher than a "B" in college physics , so I can't explain either why skis are faster than boards other than obviously it's got something to do with surface area, edge control, and weight distribution

Happy boarding! Oh, just to get back "on" topic of the IS (or Lexus, anyway), what do you think of the "pass-thru"? Do you use it when you go skiing? Or do you drive an SUV? I don't use my IS for skiing (got an SUV), although I have used the pass-thru for a mop once. The GS comes with a pass-thru too, right?

Quick Reply: Ratio of males to females driving the IS?