IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Anybody thought of Nitrous yet?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-06, 05:22 AM
dnszoom
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ra1n
Come on dude. Its a Luxury Sport Sedan by Lexus. Why use nitrous oxide to ruin the life of such a nice car? Its already a 5.1'er.
Some of you guys are missing the point.

I was merely researching the possibility but probably won't because of the high compression of the motor.

A properly implemented nitrous system will not ruin the life of a car - especially when I switch cars every 2-3 years; we're talking proper plugs, jets, activation switches/thresholds, etc. I wouldn't entertain the kit that was suggested by Holly without several key 'optional' components.

Yes, I intend on supercharging and yes, I spend stoopid amounts of money on cars and motorcycles but hey, if you're not going to push the limits of your car don't knock the others that do.
Old 04-06-06, 09:13 AM
powders2k
Driver School Candidate

Amen brother!!!!!!!

I will end supercharging my IS350 too....

The reason why I started this thread was to see if any one started researching it.

Because of the compression on the car supercharging will be a problem also....
So researching now for nitrous will help out for supercharging later....

Please no more "why would you want to put nitrous on a luxury sedan for" posts.
I'm getting a little tired of reading those posts...

It is a really nice sedan, but quit acting like the car cost hundreds of thousands of dollars.....

Just my rant...

Also does anybody have more information on the fuel-injection system for the IS350?

I would like to find out a little more about it to see if this car really does run that lean..

Joe

Originally Posted by dnszoom
Some of you guys are missing the point.

I was merely researching the possibility but probably won't because of the high compression of the motor.

A properly implemented nitrous system will not ruin the life of a car - especially when I switch cars every 2-3 years; we're talking proper plugs, jets, activation switches/thresholds, etc. I wouldn't entertain the kit that was suggested by Holly without several key 'optional' components.

Yes, I intend on supercharging and yes, I spend stoopid amounts of money on cars and motorcycles but hey, if you're not going to push the limits of your car don't knock the others that do.
Old 04-06-06, 01:47 PM
rys
Pole Position

My last car was sprayed. I designed the kit from the ground up. It was installed on a 1999 Mitsubishi Galant. See it by clicking here. Secondary Link

It IS possible to build a kit safely. Mine had RPM window and TPS based activation. It was a lot of fun because it really would blow the doors off of many cars. (Mostly because it would pull hard off of the line - Muscle cars don't have the low end power, their power typically lies in the top RPM ranges). I probably ran more than 8 orr 9, 10lb bottles through that engine, with NO problems at all..

Anyways, first, since our engines are approximately 12:1, it makes me nervous to juice the IS. As many people have pointed out, it would be a waste to blow the engine and find out the hard way.

Here in California, Nitrous isn't legal for street, atleast not any of the applications that would be appropriate for our cars. (I believe that NOS brand Nitrous kits are CARB certified on some of the american cars models).

Personally, I'd wait for a CARB legal Supercharger from TRD.

-Brian
Old 04-07-06, 07:17 AM
powders2k
Driver School Candidate

That would be nice if TRD came out with one....

ANy ideas on how to lower the compression?

Joe

Originally Posted by rys
My last car was sprayed. I designed the kit from the ground up. It was installed on a 1999 Mitsubishi Galant. See it by clicking here. Secondary Link

It IS possible to build a kit safely. Mine had RPM window and TPS based activation. It was a lot of fun because it really would blow the doors off of many cars. (Mostly because it would pull hard off of the line - Muscle cars don't have the low end power, their power typically lies in the top RPM ranges). I probably ran more than 8 orr 9, 10lb bottles through that engine, with NO problems at all..

Anyways, first, since our engines are approximately 12:1, it makes me nervous to juice the IS. As many people have pointed out, it would be a waste to blow the engine and find out the hard way.

Here in California, Nitrous isn't legal for street, atleast not any of the applications that would be appropriate for our cars. (I believe that NOS brand Nitrous kits are CARB certified on some of the american cars models).

Personally, I'd wait for a CARB legal Supercharger from TRD.

-Brian
Old 04-07-06, 12:31 PM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by powders2k
That would be nice if TRD came out with one....

ANy ideas on how to lower the compression?

Joe
probably the only solution to lower compression is by using a thicker headgasket or swapping to lower compression pistons. honestly, the IS can be supercharged, turbocharged, or nitroused.. but the amounts of boost or spray cant be very excessive and extremely precise tuning will be key to make sure the motor lasts. with higher compression your margin for error in tunning is extremly slim.
Old 04-07-06, 02:02 PM
rys
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS_250
probably the only solution to lower compression is by using a thicker headgasket or swapping to lower compression pistons. honestly, the IS can be supercharged, turbocharged, or nitroused.. but the amounts of boost or spray cant be very excessive and extremely precise tuning will be key to make sure the motor lasts. with higher compression your margin for error in tunning is extremly slim.
The thicker headgasket trick has had a tendancy to work poorly on most japanese engines. (I am sure that it does work, but in most cases I've heard or problems doing this) .I would go exclusively with lower compression pistons.

I'm not as concerned with the ability to install the system, or even getting the correct tune. (Can be done on a dyno with a wideband O2 sensor).

I'm more concerned with the interactions with all the technology in the engine and engine control electronics. The variable timing could end up bending a valve during detonation. Detonation may occur if the ECU has the timing advanced too far.

Traditionally, when one floors (wide open throttle) a modern can, the ECU goes into a mode where it ignores it's fuel maps and uses a baseline map for power. One would assume that since this has been the way it has been done for years, the IS would be no different. However, it would be a very expensive mistake if the ECU tried to adjust the engine's timing or fuel in response to the O2 sensors reading too lean or too rich under nitrous spray.

-Brian
Old 04-07-06, 06:00 PM
keeeeez
Pole Position

Yes I considered it. I was even consider supercharging it, just to make sure it loses it's classiness