IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus storing snow/summer tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-06, 11:15 AM
VitB6
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus storing snow/summer tires

I am about to put a deposit on an IS 350 on Saturday. I negotiated a good deal ($2000 off) and when I asked them that I wanted them to store my summer/snow tires for free, they said that they do that if I buy snow tires through the dealer.

My question is: how much more money does the dealer charge for snow tires over tirerack?

In addition, are you limited to a specific tire when ordering tires through the dealer?

Should I bite the bullet and just go with the flow or demand that they store my tires for free even if I buy them from tirerack.

Thanks for the input.

Vit
Old 04-07-06, 06:41 AM
Turkoman
Pole Position

Haven't checked prices yet but my dealer said the same when I bought my snow tires elsewhere and would not store it. Their choices for tires are limited and you will pay significantly more for the tires. You have to choose between lugging your tires to the dealer each time and saving money or paying a good bit for the storage. I am inclined to do the latter as I don't want to put tires on my back seats to carry them over to Lexus.
Old 04-07-06, 07:06 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

dealers are limited to the selection they arent gonna store all possible tide makes and models for the IS size, tirerack definately will be a LOT cheaper than the dealer
Old 04-07-06, 07:11 AM
Lem144
Intermediate

Originally Posted by VitB6
I am about to put a deposit on an IS 350 on Saturday. I negotiated a good deal ($2000 off) and when I asked them that I wanted them to store my summer/snow tires for free, they said that they do that if I buy snow tires through the dealer.

My question is: how much more money does the dealer charge for snow tires over tirerack?

In addition, are you limited to a specific tire when ordering tires through the dealer?

Should I bite the bullet and just go with the flow or demand that they store my tires for free even if I buy them from tirerack.

Thanks for the input.

Vit
The dealer doesnt HAVE to do anything for you. You shouldn't expect them to take up their real estate for your personal garage. They are doing you a favor by storing your tires if you buy their snow tires.
Old 04-07-06, 07:18 AM
mtnduc
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not driving mine in the winter and my spare stock 18" are under the workbench in my garage.
Old 04-07-06, 07:22 AM
Traturn
Driver

Storing summer/winter tires is a major pita as a dealer. The responsibility for a ~$1,000 set of snow/summre tires outweighs any profit made selling sets of tires.

we put some blizzak 18"'s on a few IS350's here. attained thru Tire Exchange.

We store about 40 sets of tires for customers (which is probly very low vs large dealers). Its a pain in the butt.

but anything for the good CS i guess!
Old 04-07-06, 08:28 AM
DirtySouth
Rookie

Am I missing something simple here? Why do you need to take your tires to the dealership to get them swapped? Can't you just get your own jack & change them yourself?
Old 04-07-06, 04:41 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DirtySouth
Am I missing something simple here? Why do you need to take your tires to the dealership to get them swapped? Can't you just get your own jack & change them yourself?
That's what I was wondering, too.

Also if you are concerned about tires in the cabin, there are tire bags that you can use that are safe and clean enough for the Lexus. Also some tires do fit in the IS trunk.
Old 04-07-06, 06:11 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DirtySouth
What they mean is replacing the rubber tire on the metal wheel. That requires machinery to balance the tires properly.