IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Best DVD-A/SACD to show off ML sound?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-06, 06:57 PM
casey225
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best DVD-A/SACD to show off ML sound?

Any advice on music to show off/enjoy the full ML experience. I like pretty much anything mainstream from country -> rock. My guilty pleasure is still 80's hair metal.
Old 04-06-06, 07:15 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The Eagles Live DVD is really good... they do a live version of Hotel California that's just astonishing with sound quality.

Also try this awesome DVD called "Animusic"... I saw it on display at this store nearby called Abt Electronics and haven't seen it anywhere else. Great sound quality and beyond entertainment. It's basically a big Rube Goldberg experiment that plays music, all computer animated of course.
Old 04-06-06, 10:04 PM
Fire Chief
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TheRupp
The Eagles Live DVD is really good... they do a live version of Hotel California that's just astonishing with sound quality.

Also try this awesome DVD called "Animusic"... I saw it on display at this store nearby called Abt Electronics and haven't seen it anywhere else. Great sound quality and beyond entertainment. It's basically a big Rube Goldberg experiment that plays music, all computer animated of course.
I have not tried it, but the manual clearly says NO SACD's....
The Eagles Live is good, but a PAIN to load in a hurry as you have to wait for all the video copyright screens to load, you can't go straight to menu. Remember with a VIDEO audio disc, you have to be in Park AND the Emerg Brake ON for the video menu image to show.
So, what to buy is an audio only DVD-A disk. Amazon and Tower Records sites have them, no video, you can dial it up while driving! One of the best rated DVD-A disks is the remastered for 5.1 surround Eagles Hotel California. Several audio sites rate these disks. Some re-releases are poor stereo conversions and not worth the money....
Old 04-07-06, 01:02 PM
Toyota_F1
Pole Position

Also most 5.1 DVD-A audio streams do not decode properly in our cars and you lose part of the rear... it's noticeable in surround effects (in the event an instruments sound moves around you from channel to channel) or when a whole part of a track is designated to a back channel and it's just gone. Major complaint of mine when it comes to the system as it's not fully DVD-A compatible.

You can however force most of these discs to play in Dolby Digital or DTS to gain proper surround decoding, but at a lower quality, as the DVD-A stream is usually of a much higher bit-rate. If you listen to two tracks back to back comparing DVD-A to DTS you'll notice the difference, as DD/DTS seem much muddier sounding.

I've tried:
Frank Zappa: Halloween
Frank Zappa: Quadiophiliac
Nine Inch Nails: The Downward Spiral
Nine Inch Nails: With Teeth
Stone Temple Pilots: Core

in DVD-A and they're all high quality with varying degrees of effects showing the surround (again not in DVD-A mode though). I recommend checking at

acousticsounds.com

They seem to have a pretty good selection and fair prices. Feel free to message me if you have any other questions.
Old 04-09-06, 07:10 PM
casey225
Pole Position

I'll check them out. I have looked at Amazon and only saw a couple that remotely interested me. Then the customer reviews were horrible, as they were stereo remasters. I was really hoping for some Def Leppard, or something along those lines, but looks like no dice. So far, The Eagles sound like my best bet.
Old 04-10-06, 07:12 AM
mort
Lead Lap

I would also agree with the Eagles...use the Hotel California cut often for demo
Old 03-19-07, 01:22 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tried my first ever DVD-A disc. It was good, but not as amazing as I'd hoped. Will have to look for some more.
Old 03-19-07, 01:55 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Good thread. Can everyone also please say if you've actually used the disc in our 2IS personally, that way we don't waste any money experimenting. Earlier someone told me the Santana video was awesome and I bought it and it's a coaster in our car....doesn't work. I would like to get at least one working that I can try out for a demo...Eagles Live sounds great!
Old 03-19-07, 04:04 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kensteele
Good thread. Can everyone also please say if you've actually used the disc in our 2IS personally, that way we don't waste any money experimenting. Earlier someone told me the Santana video was awesome and I bought it and it's a coaster in our car....doesn't work. I would like to get at least one working that I can try out for a demo...Eagles Live sounds great!
You're saying you've tried dvd-audi discs without success or dvd-video discs without luck?

I definitely tried the DVD-A with no problems in my IS350.
Old 03-19-07, 04:28 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ES3
You're saying you've tried dvd-audi discs without success or dvd-video discs without luck?

I definitely tried the DVD-A with no problems in my IS350.
This does not work in my car: http://www.musicdirect.com/products/...CARISTDVA51054

Old 03-19-07, 10:44 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Shux. Have you talked to Lexus about it? Also, did you try it with your E-brake depressed? I aske because tonight I tried a sweet DVD-A demo disc, that missed several tracks, until I put my food on the E-brake.
Old 03-20-07, 06:08 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll have to second that. I've personally tried the Santana DVD-A disc, and it does not work in my 2IS with ML.
Old 03-20-07, 08:58 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

why dont they have a demo disc when you get the car? when i got the TL back in 05 they had a pretty good demo disc for when you picked up the car. was surprised that Lexus didnt do the same unless they just didnt give me one...i have yet to go get any discs as i use my Ipod so i never got any for my TL either.
Old 03-20-07, 09:55 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

There is a Lexus Demo disc that I got at "Taste of Lexus" called "Lexus Accelerations". It sounds amazing but the music is not in my taste.

Koz
Old 03-20-07, 11:11 AM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

I have a few DVD-A's in mine like Sting/Police/Metalica...

I’m not really amazed either, Ill stick with 6 MP3 CD's

Quick Reply: Best DVD-A/SACD to show off ML sound?