IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

HowTo: Hardwired Valentine 1 or other radar detectors (merged threads-read full post)

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-07, 09:30 PM
Audiofan2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bass Mech
i just hard wired mine to the power in the auto dimming mirror, no fuses needed, wires run only about 12 inches, all i had to take out was the dome light, took me about 5 minutes to find the switched power to the mirror and T tap into that wire and telf tap a 1/4" screw into the metal that the dome light screws into for a ground.. the radar detector uses so little power the mirror circut won't even know its there.
simple.
As shown previously in this post, you don't even have to take out the dome light. Just undo small mirror trim pieces, unclip the rear view mirror wiring harness, take mirror to a table, solder in the phone cord for the detector, then re-clip the harness into the car, and replace small trim pieces. The wire to the detector can be nice and short <4 inches and then you are not screwing around with any dome lights or A pillar trim to a fuse box. When/if you sell the car just take off the soldered wire.
Old 08-13-07, 07:47 AM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Audiofan2
As shown previously in this post, you don't even have to take out the dome light. Just undo small mirror trim pieces, unclip the rear view mirror wiring harness, take mirror to a table, solder in the phone cord for the detector, then re-clip the harness into the car, and replace small trim pieces. The wire to the detector can be nice and short <4 inches and then you are not screwing around with any dome lights or A pillar trim to a fuse box. When/if you sell the car just take off the soldered wire.
Yeah, I haven't understood why everyone is doing it the long and hard way. it's been covered over and over. Just tap in right at the rear-view mirror. No reason to mess with dome or running it down the pillar.
Old 08-13-07, 10:58 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Running down the pillar and so forth isnt that hard, all the pieces just pop off. In my case I dont want to alter any wires so I like the Add-A-Circuit
Old 09-25-07, 08:58 AM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
Running down the pillar and so forth isnt that hard, all the pieces just pop off. In my case I dont want to alter any wires so I like the Add-A-Circuit
Good job.....
Old 09-25-07, 09:28 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks buddy! haha
Old 10-06-07, 08:54 AM
blajoieSG
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Tuxlex - Just did the mod, works great!!
Old 12-25-07, 07:08 PM
JCIS250RWD
Rookie

nothing like installing stuff while family is over for x-mas. Just got this V1 after wanting it for years and had to do the hard wire install before driving camping on thur. **** is sweeeeeeeet!!
Old 12-29-07, 09:04 AM
GWT3
Driver School Candidate

Default Christmas present arrived...Just installed :)

Ordered a V1 using my Christmas money. It came yesterday as well as mount ordered. Took my time following this thread and I couldn't be happier. Now to go out and test it out. Mount is designed for a Corvette C6 but works great on my IS.

FYI the V1 wires need to be blue to red and green to orange, seen in post #32 or it will not fire up. I had reversed these at first and it did not come on. Switched to blue-red , green-orange and bingo.

Old 12-29-07, 10:20 AM
darrelld
Driver

Originally Posted by GWT3
Ordered a V1 using my Christmas money. It came yesterday as well as mount ordered. Took my time following this thread and I couldn't be happier. Now to go out and test it out. Mount is designed for a Corvette C6 but works great on my IS.

FYI the V1 wires need to be blue to red and green to orange, seen in post #32 or it will not fire up. I had reversed these at first and it did not come on. Switched to blue-red , green-orange and bingo.

What is the name of the mount?
Old 12-29-07, 12:29 PM
GWT3
Driver School Candidate

What is the name of the mount?
Go to this site:

http://www.greatlakestrophies.com/

Follow the link for Corvette C5 & C6 parts then what I used is the "new" C6 mirror mount. When you look at the pictures there is no bend to the mount allowing for mirror adjustment, however you will get a mount that has a bend so when you adjust your mirror the V1 is straight ahead. I had to adjust the mount slightly to suit my liking.

Just got back from test drive worked like a charm. Now to figure out how to configure V1 for my local area.

Old 12-30-07, 07:30 AM
darrelld
Driver

Originally Posted by GWT3
Go to this site:

http://www.greatlakestrophies.com/

Follow the link for Corvette C5 & C6 parts then what I used is the "new" C6 mirror mount. When you look at the pictures there is no bend to the mount allowing for mirror adjustment, however you will get a mount that has a bend so when you adjust your mirror the V1 is straight ahead. I had to adjust the mount slightly to suit my liking.

Just got back from test drive worked like a charm. Now to figure out how to configure V1 for my local area.

Thanks, I'll check this out.
Old 12-30-07, 11:53 AM
HoityToity
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tuxlex
There is no need to remove the overhead J/B and risk breaking
the plastic clips or introducing rattles. The ignition power is
also available going to the rear view mirror.
The rear view mirror is easily removed by loosening the T-20
torx screw securing it to the metal shoe glued to the windshield.
Lift up on the mirror and it will just lift off. There will be a connector
revealed behind the wire cover. The blue wire going to the mirror
is the negative and the orange wire is the positive ignition switched
wire. Carefully strip a small section of the mirror wires and
then wrap your Valentine One power wires around it. Soldering
the connection is recommended for a good reliable connection.
To finish the job, wrap each wire that you attached to with a
piece of electrical tape.
This is a real easy installation. You don't even have to worry about
getting the wires connected backwards because the Valentine
One unit is built to withstand reverse polarity in case of a misswire.

This is the method we chose to use on my '08 IS350. We didn't solder though...just inserted the wires directly into the connector box and secured them well. This way I can move my V1 to another car or completely remove it to keep it from getting stolen, and my car remains intact. Thanks Tuxlex!!
Old 12-31-07, 07:03 AM
darrelld
Driver

Originally Posted by HoityToity
This is the method we chose to use on my '08 IS350. We didn't solder though...just inserted the wires directly into the connector box and secured them well. This way I can move my V1 to another car or completely remove it to keep it from getting stolen, and my car remains intact. Thanks Tuxlex!!
I tried to do this at first but the Texas summer caused the suction cups to give way and the V1 bounced around my interior.

Fortunately as the rj11 plug broke the V1 landed in my seat instead of gouging the dash or wood console trim.

Good luck.
Old 12-31-07, 07:47 AM
HoityToity
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, mine, too. I keep a supply of the small cups on hand because of that. Just ordered four more pairs from Valentine.
Old 02-08-08, 11:37 AM
AznJason
Lead Lap

Anyone know if you can mix what TuxLex did and this? I searched the boards and couldn't find any mention of "stealthcords". Wondering if this is a possible solder-less option.

Quick Reply: HowTo: Hardwired Valentine 1 or other radar detectors (merged threads-read full post)