IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Transmission help

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-06, 05:56 PM
james6290
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission help

Im kinda new hear, so this might have been addressed in the past but: I have a IS350 and I love it but the only thing that annoys me, is when I shift into sport mode, it automatically goes into 4th gear, and going 80 I dont like how high that makes the RPM's go. Is there anyway that you can change it so it goes into 6th when starting sport mode?

Thanks

O and just to make sure theres no misunderstanding, by sport mode, i mean when you shift from drive, so you can use your paddle shifters...
Old 04-10-06, 06:04 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by james6290
O and just to make sure theres no misunderstanding, by sport mode, i mean when you shift from drive, so you can use your paddle shifters...
You are confused then. Shifting from D to S is manual mode. Sprort mode has a separate button.
Old 04-10-06, 06:25 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TimboIS
You are confused then. Shifting from D to S is manual mode. Sprort mode has a separate button.
ECT Power has a button, but there isn't a sport mode button...
But the whole idea of switching to "manual" mode is to shift yourself and keep your rev's up there so you have more power when you need it. So to answer James6290's question, no, when you switch over your put into 4th so you'll be in more of a power gear. there's no reason for it to go into 6th because your already in 6th.
Old 04-10-06, 07:33 PM
MadIS
Driver School Candidate

I'm with James on this one. When shift from D to S it should default to 6th gear max and give you the option of pulling it back to 5th or 4th. It wouldn't necessarilly mean that the car would shift into 6th since the sport mode only limits the max gear the car can be in (if I'm reading the manual right)
Old 04-10-06, 07:50 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Payam
ECT Power has a button, but there isn't a sport mode button...
But the whole idea of switching to "manual" mode is to shift yourself and keep your rev's up there so you have more power when you need it. So to answer James6290's question, no, when you switch over your put into 4th so you'll be in more of a power gear. there's no reason for it to go into 6th because your already in 6th.
I meant ECT. I rarely use it, so forgot the EXACT name.
Old 04-10-06, 08:19 PM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Default manual shift mode

James: yeah, I kinda found it annoying too. It must be the way the ECU /Transmission was programmed, to always go to fouth gear.
On my previous car, Mitsubishi Eclipse, if you were in Third or Fourth gear in automatic, and put it in manual shift mode, that is the gear it would be in. You could then shifted up or down.
I think I liked that better, cause there was no jump in RPM, it made the trasition to manual mode seamless. I can't help thinking, at 65mph, shift to manual mode, and those synchronising[sic] gears screaming and trans fluid being stressed as the engine is dragged up to 3000(or whatever RPM it jumps to). Just dosen't feel right, I find myself slowing to shift into manual. I don't know what the rarional is behind always going to fourth.

I think your sport mode just moves your shift points up in the RPM range, in all gears,thats all.

If I may mention, two other quirks:
Lets say your in manual shift mode, and come to a stop. But you forget too, downshift from fourth gear. Now(correct me if I'm wrong) I think I noticed the car going down into first gear, shifting into second, then third and fourth, but the indicator display stays at fourth gear. The transmission will go no higher than fourth, but did downshift? Is this what you all see?
In my old Eclipse, it would actually go down through the gears, and indicate as such. Then when you came to a stop , it will stay in first gear. It would not upshift unless you moved the shifter or went into automatic mode. So you would take off in first, but stayed in first. I kinda liked that better. let me know if this is what you all see.

Also you didn't have to lift your foot from the accelerator to get it to shift in manual mode. When you told it to shift from second to third, by god, it shifted. Even if your foot was buried. I liked that. Lex don't do that , you have to lift your foot.
I'll get use to it. I really like the car though, have you looked up under it? It is very well built.
Enjoy
Old 04-10-06, 09:39 PM
Mrbig
Lead Lap

Default ?

When in sport mode do any of you forget to shift for whatever reason or shift late and it bogs at the rev limiter ? Is that harmful for the engine ? It happened to me 2 times when test drving the car while in sport mode going into a turn, wasn't use to it !
Old 04-10-06, 10:13 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Hmmm... so you're saying that the letter "S" stands for Manual?

In any case, mine also goes to forth when going to "S" although I haven't done it at too high of a speed so I have not had it bounce off the limiter.
Old 04-10-06, 10:36 PM
Kailua250
Driver

GreyHound,
The gear indicator tells you what maximum gear you are allowing the car to be in. If you want to see what gear the transmission has selected you have to change your display option (using the steeringwheel button) to the "Gear Position" setting. The max allowed gear will be indicated by dots if you are in a gear lower than fourth (using your senario) and the actual gear will be displayed:
. 2 . .

Last edited by Kailua250; 04-10-06 at 10:39 PM.
Old 04-11-06, 10:31 AM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Yep, your right , Kailua250. Thanks.
Technology is grand