Old 04-11-06, 12:12 PM
IS350_PHIL
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is what I am going to try:

Charger/Line out LINK

Noise filter LINK

Cable LINK

The monster charger appears to have a direct line out on the dock connector which would certainly provide better sound quality than the belkin which appears to use its own amplifier in the adapter. If you read the specs on the belkin it says "Controls your iPod device's volume level with adjustable amplifier". To me this is the ML/Lexus stereo's responsibility. No use having more circuitry than you have to...
Old 04-11-06, 04:12 PM
gstois
Rookie

folks, it's really not that difficult. First, charge your ipod in the house (if you can), or charge it in the car when you are not listening to it.

When you are listening to it, unplug the power adapter and turn the volume on the ipod to 3/4 of the max. My ipod sounds great in my is. I am using monster cable and get no interference as long as I'm not charging it.
Old 04-12-06, 11:43 AM
ptmIS350
Rookie

Originally Posted by storm
Try the cable that connect from the iPod's lower dataport and has a headphone output jack. This should give you much better sound quality than a standard headphone type cable.
which one are you using storm and where did u get it?
Old 04-12-06, 12:25 PM
storm
Rookie

Originally Posted by ptmIS350
which one are you using storm and where did u get it?
I actually haven't tried the iPod connector yet, but can understand why it would sound terrible. There was a similar thread on my.is where the following products were mentioned, you should probably research them to see which one would work the best:

Simple Noise Filter, personally I think the less stuff between your signal (iPod) and your amp (stock radio) the better)
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-uMUyLOR...+loop+isolator

This device jacks right into the dock/DIN connector:
http://www.sik.com/ram_din.php

Another DIN/Dock connector:
http://www.sendstation.com/us/produc...neout-usb.html

I just burn my music onto MP3/WMA CDs, seems much more convenient.
Old 04-12-06, 12:30 PM
BShears
Rookie

Using the iPod power with the dock connector is important. When you shut down the car, your iPod pauses. Before I used the connector, there were many times I would return to my car to find my ipod's battery dead because it was playing continuoulsy (I like shuffle play) after I left the car. You can easily forget to pause it especally since the sound stops when you turn off the car.
Old 04-12-06, 12:37 PM
IS350_PHIL
Pole Position

The monster iCharger also has the line out on the dock connector. I like the compactness of the two listed above, but does anyone know if someone makes a USB or Firewire car charger? Never mind I should have looked myself...
Old 04-12-06, 12:40 PM
is4me
Driver School Candidate

SIK Makes one with the firewire.
Old 04-12-06, 01:33 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BShears
Using the iPod power with the dock connector is important. When you shut down the car, your iPod pauses. Before I used the connector, there were many times I would return to my car to find my ipod's battery dead because it was playing continuoulsy (I like shuffle play) after I left the car. You can easily forget to pause it especally since the sound stops when you turn off the car.
True, if you don't have the best memory or car to keep shutting off your ipod manual (which is somewhat a pain), just use a [permanent] car charger.
Old 04-18-06, 12:33 PM
middy
Driver School Candidate

Default Other Ipod solutions

I didn't like the clutter in the center console. Here are some solutions:

First I installed a product from mp3yourcar that creates a virtual CD changer that lets you navigate playlists on your steering wheel. Look up my discription on the myis site in the 350 owner's forum.

I put the unit in my glovebox ran the cables to the backk of the nav unit and put the ipod cable into the ashtrey. I'll post a how to soon. It works very well.

There are a couple of other options.

1) You can use the monster cable which has a sound output in the jack. Remove the ashtrey, pull the whole assembly out of the console along with the nav unit. Cut the plug from the end of the monster cable and solder it to the adjacent lighter. Running the cord through the hole for the ashtrey light.

Run a 1foot sound cord connected to the monster cable from the ashtrey through the same hole, connect it to the ground loop isolator and plug it into the aux in port on the back of the nav unit. I immagine you could put a splitter on the port so that you could still use the aux in in the console.

Now you can just plug in your ipod at the connector which is where the ashtrey used to be.

2) Pull the nav unit and plug the ground loop isolator into the back of the unit and connect it to the aux in line. This would at least eliminate the isolator from the center console and give you a clean aux in line. Haven't tried this one, but I expect that it would work.
Old 04-18-06, 12:52 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

I just charge my iPod at home, bought a Monster Cable, and connected AUX to headphone port. Sound quality is great. I don't see why it really needs to be more complicated than that.
Old 04-18-06, 01:56 PM
BShears
Rookie

Originally Posted by middy
First I installed a product from mp3yourcar
I've been waiting for someone on this forum to confirm that the Neo iOn SP works in the IS. I'll check out your thread in the 350 owners forum (do you have a link for that?). If you're talking about the owners forum at lexus.com I can't see it because my car is still on order (it requres a VIN).

Last edited by BShears; 04-18-06 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-18-06, 02:40 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by middy
I didn't like the clutter in the center console. Here are some solutions:

First I installed a product from mp3yourcar that creates a virtual CD changer that lets you navigate playlists on your steering wheel. Look up my discription on the myis site in the 350 owner's forum.

I put the unit in my glovebox ran the cables to the backk of the nav unit and put the ipod cable into the ashtrey. I'll post a how to soon. It works very well.

There are a couple of other options.

1) You can use the monster cable which has a sound output in the jack. Remove the ashtrey, pull the whole assembly out of the console along with the nav unit. Cut the plug from the end of the monster cable and solder it to the adjacent lighter. Running the cord through the hole for the ashtrey light.

Run a 1foot sound cord connected to the monster cable from the ashtrey through the same hole, connect it to the ground loop isolator and plug it into the aux in port on the back of the nav unit. I immagine you could put a splitter on the port so that you could still use the aux in in the console.

Now you can just plug in your ipod at the connector which is where the ashtrey used to be.

2) Pull the nav unit and plug the ground loop isolator into the back of the unit and connect it to the aux in line. This would at least eliminate the isolator from the center console and give you a clean aux in line. Haven't tried this one, but I expect that it would work.
Hehe, this I gotta see....
Old 04-18-06, 05:19 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by knihc2008
I just charge my iPod at home, bought a Monster Cable, and connected AUX to headphone port. Sound quality is great. I don't see why it really needs to be more complicated than that.
This is exactly what I do now. I did however get out of the car the other day and left it running. When I came back out 6 hours later, the Ipod was still running and the battery was almost dead.
Old 04-18-06, 06:23 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ecr527
This is exactly what I do now. I did however get out of the car the other day and left it running. When I came back out 6 hours later, the Ipod was still running and the battery was almost dead.
if you open your door while the car is still running, doesn't it chime incessantly? i guess it doesn't but it should beep at least once so you know something is out of the ordinary.
Old 04-18-06, 06:49 PM
phish2112
Driver

Originally Posted by storm
Try the cable that connect from the iPod's lower dataport and has a headphone output jack. This should give you much better sound quality than a standard headphone type cable.
Does anyone have a link to where I could buy one of these types of cables instead of the headphone to headphone cable? I've searched but can't find anything online that has them.

Quick Reply: Is anyone having major IPOD issues