Is anyone having major IPOD issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-06, 06:13 PM
YYZlexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is anyone having major IPOD issues

Hi,
I have an 06 IS250 and have had really bad luck with the AUX connection and ipod.

I get major whine through the speakers and the volume has to be at max on the stereo to be even moderately loud (I would say max sounds like 20).

I have used a cheap cable, an expensive cable (which worked fine in a Chrysler 300 I rented) and sound like crap in the Lexus.

Does anyone think there is an issue with the car? Am I going to get the "everything seemed fine" from the service dept?

The whole set up is pretty bad considering you need the stupid L connector to close the lid, but to also have bad sound quality...come on this is 1980 tech in a 2006 car...
Old 04-10-06, 06:43 PM
IS350_PHIL
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a thread somewhere on this board that talked about some sort of circuit isolator that helped with the ipod...

here it is link
Old 04-10-06, 08:23 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

I use an Ipod in my car an have not had any problems as far as sound quality goes. I have not been using a power adapter in the car, so maybe that's why I don't have the whining sound that everyone else seems to be experiencing.

But like Phil said, there are other threads on this board discussing this issue.
Old 04-10-06, 08:57 PM
iainthim
Driver School Candidate

I have an older IPOD that I inherited from a friend....the sound quality is terrible. It is definitley the IPOD itself because my friend's new IPOD sounds awesome. So, i burned some CDs until I decide to shell out the cash for a new IPOD.
Old 04-10-06, 09:02 PM
IS350_PHIL
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ecr527
I have not been using a power adapter in the car, so maybe that's why I don't have the whining sound that everyone else seems to be experiencing.
Thats exactly what everyone seems to be pointing to. The outlet in the center cosole is not grounded (or designed) real well and you get the whine and noise...
Old 04-10-06, 09:46 PM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

I had my mp3 cd in and the ipod to test. The IPOD sounds like crap strait up. I had to crank it to get any noise. No reason to use it... just burn the MP3's to CD. i love the quality and sound of the stock system but I also think the surround isnt any thing special. I bought a few DVD-A disks and they are in my home system now where you can really enjoy them the best.
Old 04-10-06, 11:25 PM
storm
Rookie

Burn MP3s to CD. Why bother with the iPod?

-You don't have steering wheel controls, so you have to look at the iPod to navigate through your music

-Sound quality will be inferior since you're taking an amplified signal and then amplifying again (unless you get the adaptor that fits into the bottom through the data connector and has a headphone type output)

-If you leave it in the car, it just gives someone incentive to break in and take it

assuming 100 songs per CD x 6 CDs = 600 songs in the changer at one time. 600MB x 6 = 3.6GB, more than enough for most trips, and you can always swap in/out CDs.
Old 04-11-06, 12:15 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by storm

-You don't have steering wheel controls, so you have to look at the iPod to navigate through your music

-Sound quality will be inferior since you're taking an amplified signal and then amplifying again (unless you get the adaptor that fits into the bottom through the data connector and has a headphone type output)

-If you leave it in the car, it just gives someone incentive to break in and take it

assuming 100 songs per CD x 6 CDs = 600 songs in the changer at one time. 600MB x 6 = 3.6GB, more than enough for most trips, and you can always swap in/out CDs.
^ I agree, but having to re-buy CD's gets expensive after a while.

Are you guys turning the volume up too high on the iPod itself? I know if you jack the volume on the iPod it will sound distorted.
Old 04-11-06, 05:22 AM
G35TOIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Picked up Monster cable from Best Buy and its worked great so far! My FM modulator woked fine in my G35, but not so great in the IS. Thats why I went with the cable.
Old 04-11-06, 05:45 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by storm

I don't believe that leaving your ipod in the center arm rest out of sight is an incentive for someone to break into your car....is an issue.

Also I think the whole idea is so many of us already own ipods, we're just looking for ways to use what we already have. My music is already labeled and organized (on the ipod), it takes up very little space unlike a dozen CDs, and I use the dock connector so the output sounds pretty good. It is painful to nagivate your ipod without a playlist? Sometimes but there are aftermarket items coming soon that will help.

I mix it up quite a bit and it takes me seconds to go from one song to another song, which could easily take you two minutes to find if you have to change out cds. There's no way I'm going to burn a bunch of worthless CDs full of random music, that's so 90s, I will however put some of my favourite albums on cd and leave those in the changer, but my changer is mostly full of music videos and movies.
Old 04-11-06, 06:21 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

ill stick with the CD even tho i have a nano, i update my CDs once a month, CD-R cost isnt a factor there
Old 04-11-06, 08:20 AM
YYZlexus
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the input. Its a total joke though. I can't see why its so hard to do this without stuffing my entire console full of RadioShack parafanalia...

Total waste of time.
Old 04-11-06, 08:48 AM
storm
Rookie

Try the cable that connect from the iPod's lower dataport and has a headphone output jack. This should give you much better sound quality than a standard headphone type cable.
Old 04-11-06, 09:01 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by YYZlexus
Thanks for the input. Its a total joke though. I can't see why its so hard to do this without stuffing my entire console full of RadioShack parafanalia...

Total waste of time.
I agree it's a lot of effort but it's a one time deal and requires little to no maintenance and if you are a true Ipod owner who only wants to have your music collection in one place, it's valuable and we are thankful for the auxillary connector....although it could be better. I really do understood how non-ipod owners or those who don't care much for the ipod and itunes really think this is worthless and a pain.
Old 04-11-06, 09:59 AM
YYZlexus
Driver School Candidate

If its the Belkin you are talking about, I already have it. No go.

Its really the whine through the speakers thats the issue...I give up.

Quick Reply: Is anyone having major IPOD issues