IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Thinking of trading in my 350...

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-06, 10:06 AM
Seattle350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of trading in my 350...

I have TP/blk with nav and Sports package, spoiler. I was at the dealer on Saturday - sat in and listened to the ML - I decided I need the ML - the dealer can get the same color combo + ML + PA fairly soon - we haven't spoken figures yet - what sort of bath can I expect? Also, should I wait for an '07? Any difference besides XM/shark fin in '07?
Old 04-11-06, 10:08 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

no facts yet on 07, im waiting for 07 because of a possible coupe. So youre just trading in because of the ML with Nav?
Old 04-11-06, 10:09 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would rethink that. you are better off waiting 6-9 months maybe a year and try again next time to get it right ('07). ML is awesome but you can live without it for a few months, right?
Old 04-11-06, 10:10 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

that cmusic guy said swapping the factory speakers out for aftermarket helped out a lot over the stock system, just another simplier option rather than totally trading in the car, but it wont be as good as the ML of course but its another option
Old 04-11-06, 10:16 AM
yon
Driver

Originally Posted by Seattle350
we haven't spoken figures yet - what sort of bath can I expect? Also, should I wait for an '07? Any difference besides XM/shark fin in '07?
Bath? Heh heh, more like boiling oil. For starters, subtract invoice from what you paid, and then at least 10-15% more off the invoice price. I would be surprised if you could get any more than that on trade.

As others have pointed out, you are far, far better off waiting another year so that (a) you amortize some of that depreciation hit you are taking, and (b) dealers will more likely be giving discounts off the 07 models.
Old 04-11-06, 10:18 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

The dealer just became your bestest buddy. You paid for all the depreciation the first year, put almost no miles on it, and now want a different one.

It won't be a bath, it'll be a massacre. That being said, if you're made of money, who cares? Do whatever makes you happy.
Old 04-11-06, 10:19 AM
lexus27
Pit Crew

You wanna trade in your 350 for another 350 with ML? Why not just spend the money you will lose in trading to upgrade the system you have now with aftermarket stuff? surely a few thoudand dollars can make the system better. if you want the extra thump, add a sub like the basslink for about $200.00. Yes the ML sounds good. Im my GX470, it surely bumps but that's the only difference I can tell (I know it's not the IS ML). But my point is, I am not a PRO, I really can't tell the difference that much. I wanted the ML too in the beginning and the 1000-1500 extra cost was not even a factor, but waiting was. When I heard the stock system, I was like ***** that's good enough. Save you money bro, unless of course, that is not a factor. Good luck.
Old 04-11-06, 10:29 AM
yellowssm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexus27
You wanna trade in your 350 for another 350 with ML? Why not just spend the money you will lose in trading to upgrade the system you have now with aftermarket stuff? surely a few thoudand dollars can make the system better. if you want the extra thump, add a sub like the basslink for about $200.00. Yes the ML sounds good. Im my GX470, it surely bumps but that's the only difference I can tell (I know it's not the IS ML). But my point is, I am not a PRO, I really can't tell the difference that much. I wanted the ML too in the beginning and the 1000-1500 extra cost was not even a factor, but waiting was. When I heard the stock system, I was like ***** that's good enough. Save you money bro, unless of course, that is not a factor. Good luck.
I agree. Although the ML is awesome, take half the money you would lose trading your car in and buy some new speakers (MB Quart, Focal, etc..) amps, and your aftermarket system will make the stock ML look like it was put together by walmart. I have spent way to much money on aftermarket systems in the past and that is definately the way to go if that is your only gripe with your car.
Old 04-11-06, 10:32 AM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck with that .
Old 04-11-06, 10:33 AM
Lenscap
Driver

Any difference besides XM/shark fin in '07?
It is pure speculation whether or not the 2007 IS will have factory-installed XM and a shark fin. Factory-installed XM is coming in 2007, but we do not yet know which Lexus models will offer this option. The IS may not be one of them. And, if it is offered, nobody knows if the antenna will in fact be the shark fin (although we know the LS will have it based on the photos).
Old 04-11-06, 10:48 AM
G-SharK
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I do agree with others, Don't wait for the 07' cost of the new car will probably be more but with the discount it might be the same as your original purchase. Regarding the shark fin, I know that BWM has the option to get XM installed later. Lexus might have the same. Can't wait to get my 350 Black/black, nav. ML. luxury. Good luck on your decision, keep us updated.
Old 04-11-06, 11:00 AM
vicpai
Pole Position

Exclamation I Do Not Agree With You At All!!!......

Originally Posted by yellowssm
............and your aftermarket system will make the stock ML look like it was put together by walmart..........
.....I have listened to many of these so called "aftermarket" systems and spent A TON of money at one point (taking advise from the "audiophile" forums). These components were nothing but a WASTE OF MONEY.....absolutely BS. The "highs" were too screechy, the base was too boomy. The sound was not at all "WELL BALANCED" and "FULL". The high end OEM systems such as the ML, are designed and engineered with the car's acoustics in mind. The sound is "just right" and "very well balanced". Besides the SURROUND SOUND ML system in the IS and GS are simply astounding (very much similar in audio quality and fidelity, to the DVD-Audio SURROUND SOUND systems in the Acura TL and RL).

....of course it also depends on your taste in music. If you primarily listen to Rap and the like, then an aftermarket system will be just fine. However, if it is important for the "fine details" of instruments to be "heard" and "felt" then the OEM ML will blow an aftermarket system out of the water.
Old 04-11-06, 11:15 AM
Seattle350
Rookie

You're right on the number with the aftermarket stuff - I have a buddy with a 330ZHP that has abt 8k in sound and besides mind blowing base, it sounds like cr@p - I was in awe when I heard the ML in the 350 - just perfect - I'm an old dawg (40), so not too much rap for me. I think I'll wait until the '07's come along, see if I can find a private buyer for the '06, then wheel and deal again...
Old 04-11-06, 11:23 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I don't have ML and wish I did. The dealer happened to have the exact IS350 I wanted on the lot. Lux, nav, and the color, the only thing it didn't have was the ML, but I didn't want to wait 4+ months for an order to I just bought it right then. I'm waiting for the IS500 before I do a trade in, then i'll be sure to get the ML.
Old 04-11-06, 11:26 AM
vicpai
Pole Position

Lightbulb Other options.

I have TP/blk with nav and Sports package, spoiler. I was at the dealer on Saturday - sat in and listened to the ML - I decided I need the ML - the dealer can get the same color combo + ML + PA fairly soon - we haven't spoken figures yet - what sort of bath can I expect? Also, should I wait for an '07? Any difference besides XM/shark fin in '07?
If you don't mind some extra hassle, you can try and sell the car yourself, which could save you a ton of money. The difference between trading it in to the dealer and selling it yourself could be as much as $6,000 to $8,000 or more. Stealerships....oops....Dealerships salivate at the thought of making a killing on a "nearly new" car. "Nearly new" cars are in great demand in the marketplace because one can get a car that is virtually new for signifcantly less than a new one.

Case in point: when I tried to sell my one-and-a-half year old MINT CONDITION 2003 Acura MDX with 28K miles (which I paid about $43K for brand new in Dec '02), the dealer offered me $29K for it, Carmax offered $30.5K. eventually, I advertised on autotrader and ended up selling it for $36.3K!!!!

....Of course, if you're LOADED and don't want the hassle, then it's a different story.

Last edited by vicpai; 04-11-06 at 11:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Thinking of trading in my 350...