IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

**PICS- Rear of NON-Nav/ NON-ML Head Unit***

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-06, 08:26 AM
^saint
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I as promissed I took the whole thing apart and we will be screwed trying to put an aftermarket headunit in. I was hoping the AC and Stereo were not integrated, well my doom came a reality today.

However, there still appears to be a possibility to swap a NAV system in, but as for an aftermarket stereo, the only place would be where the Hazard button is and relocate that cluster, or where the CD changer is. If someone knows a lot of circuit board design, please make one that controls the AC and is single DIN size.

Enjoy the PICs.
Connector for LCD's of Radio and AC Sorry for Flash
ht

CD

Whole thiing pulled.

Apart

Old 04-13-06, 08:27 AM
^saint
Rookie

Connectors for CD

AC and Stereo PCB

The green board is the Hazards

Well let me know what you guys think. Looks like an aftermarket sub/amp to upgrade the system, will most likely be stuck with the headunit.
Old 04-13-06, 08:51 AM
cmusic
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I had some extra time yesterday so I removed my base CD/radio from my IS, and just like Saint, found out the A/C no longer worked. I did see some Japanese IS pics that had Alpine head units installed with the factory CD/radio relocated to the glove box. I'm not going to that level of work just to install an aftermarket deck just yet.

Maybe one day some company will offer a factory radio by-pass module that tricks the electrical system into thinking the factory radio is still hooked up. The by-pass modules are already made for GM and Honda vehicles.

Also the factory amp turns on when the start button is pushed (to ACC, ON, or engine start) regardless if the CD/radio is on or not.

I have added an Alpine amp, new front door speakers, and an 8" sub to my IS. I have noticed the factory CD/radio has a very audible noise floor (hiss). When I turn the CD/radio off and the amps (both the factory and Alpine) stay on, the hiss is gone. I'll have to experiment more to find out what is going on.
Old 04-13-06, 08:59 AM
^saint
Rookie

cmusic as you did...I am looking to add another amp and sub, with some possible speaker upgrades. Do you know on the stock amp if there is a 12v signal wire I can tap in to to trigger the new amp to turn on/off??
Old 04-13-06, 11:15 AM
cmusic
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Looking at the schematics for the amp and CD/radio, there is a wire labled "mute" that is light blue at the amp and is brown at the CD/radio. In some other papers I got off of the Toyota/Lexus technical website the mute wire is to mute the amp to keep noise out. I have not checked this wire yet but it may be used as a turn on wire. I may get around to checking the wire this weekend.

There are four other wires that are labled R+(red),R-(green), L+(black), and L-(white) that may carry the audio signal from the CD/radio to the amp. These wires are small, maybe 20 or 22 gauge in size, and should be in the same plug as the "mute" wire. The other speaker wires coming out of the amp are larger 16 gauge wires. I may check these wires also to see if I can T-tap RCA cables onto them to run directly to my aftermarket amp.
Old 04-13-06, 11:42 AM
mr.BeboT
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in Socal and take delivery of a NON-Nav ML equipped car in May. I am willing to team up with someone in the area to test out combinations. Since it was too late for me to change to a NAV/ML setup I also eagerly wait news of the possibility of integration when the oem navs become available in other channels.
Old 04-13-06, 11:52 AM
varok
Driver

Originally Posted by ^saint
cmusic as you did...I am looking to add another amp and sub, with some possible speaker upgrades. Do you know on the stock amp if there is a 12v signal wire I can tap in to to trigger the new amp to turn on/off??
I used the orange wire in group of wires with smaller diameter (22 guage). It turns on when the radio is on.
Old 04-13-06, 11:59 AM
^saint
Rookie

Originally Posted by varok
I used the orange wire in group of wires with smaller diameter (22 guage). It turns on when the radio is on.
Ok sweet, thank, as this is what I was looking for. Anyone have the pic of the car with the customer box on the side of the trunk??? I had this idea before I saw the pics, but I want to take a look at his setup.
Old 04-13-06, 12:18 PM
totti
Driver School Candidate

Default I was going to do the same thing & then...

I saw the nuvi garmin nav system. The pros for me far outway the cons with this system compared to lexus. You can mount it anywhere,its cheaper,can take it to any car, and it has a pedestrian mode on it to walk around with it. Its much better in my mind.
Old 04-13-06, 01:08 PM
^saint
Rookie

Originally Posted by totti
I saw the nuvi garmin nav system. The pros for me far outway the cons with this system compared to lexus. You can mount it anywhere,its cheaper,can take it to any car, and it has a pedestrian mode on it to walk around with it. Its much better in my mind.
I hear you on this. I actually have a garmin, but I am a aftermarket stereo system freak and like to take things apart. Just a wish that we would be able to put an aftermarket HU in there. Oh well.
Old 04-13-06, 05:37 PM
2Fast0
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by varok
there are actually two orange skinny wires. are u talking aobut the one on the edge or kind of in the middle?
Old 04-13-06, 06:33 PM
lenk
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus Tech

I am a newbie to this forum and to Lexus. I bought the only IS350 that the dealer had in stock which was gold. I recieved $3000 discount on the vehicle. Generallythis dealership does not discount, however I have bought many cars from the parent organization and have done legal work for several executives in the organization.

I typically like to do techy like upgrades.

for a $10.00 a day fee you can get a full blown to the Toyota,Scion, Lexus website (the same one the dealer uses) and download instruction to make ALL repairs and wiring diagrams. You can even get the directions to install accessories, TSB, and part numbers Here is the Web address: techinfo.toyota.com .

I am not an engineer but it seems that wiring harness is the same no matter the options on the vehicle. Making a change from non ML to ML or Non-Nav to Nav relatively simple (but not necessarily cheap). As evidence of this pull the center speaker grille off in a non ML car and the speaker wire for the center speaker is there.

I would post the wiring diagrams showing this however as a lawyer I know this would be a license violation
Old 04-14-06, 08:24 AM
rys
Pole Position

I have access to the Lexus tech site. I've reviewed the documents for a while, and I've done a few things to my vehicle based on them (Valentine 1 Hardwire, and soon a Guidepoint GPS (Stolen Vehicle Locator) Install).

It IS possible to purchase all of the components to do the GPS install. In fact, most of the components are at the front of the vehicle. GPS Antenna next to the Rear View Mirror, Microphone in the Overhead J/B, Main Nav Unit. Exception being the backup camera in back, but I'd venture to guess that this will work without the camera, it just won't display a rear view.

The concern is that certain wires may not be hooked up, or might need to be run manually. The section for the NAV does show connections to the Vehicle Skid Control, and other systems.

As you mentioned, I (or anyone else) with access, cannot just post the documents online since they are copyrighted.

-Brian
Old 06-19-06, 07:45 AM
kramo
Rookie

any updates on this? Can a non-nav be converted to a nav? Anyone succeeded yet?
Old 08-02-06, 11:06 PM
c5mtl
Rookie

any updates???

Quick Reply: **PICS- Rear of NON-Nav/ NON-ML Head Unit***