IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How did you negotiate price of IS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-06, 03:32 PM
h777
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How did you negotiate price of IS?

I was looking at the poll on the other thread and was surprised to see that how many people have gotten over $2000 dollar MSRP. I was wondering if some of those people can shed some light as to how they went about negotiating a good price and what they originally asked for? I am sure it is more than just saying I want $3000 dollars off MSRP or I am leaving. Any tips I can get to negotiating a good price, I would like to know. If it matters, I live in the Northern Virginia area.
Old 04-12-06, 03:34 PM
dfw350
Lead Lap

find another dealership in town and tell your dealer that they giving you 3000 off and free tint.
ask if they can match it.
worked for me
Old 04-12-06, 04:03 PM
ihkskim
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dfw350
find another dealership in town and tell your dealer that they giving you 3000 off and free tint.
ask if they can match it.
worked for me
My Charm

i got mine for about 2500 off msrp when 9 dealerships i called woudln't touch MSRP. 31900 otd is250 manual
Old 04-12-06, 04:06 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll be getting a great deal on my IS in about a month.

I went in and told them that X is what I wanted to pay and that I could bring up clublexus.com and show him the thread on it. He did the 'gotta talk to the manager' thing a few times, tried to get me to trade in my G for KBB trade in value, etc., but he finally caved in.

I just let him know that I wasn't in a terrible hurry to get into the IS and could wait longer if I had to.

I could probably play them off of another dealership but I got an acceptable price to me and we shook on it. I didn't have to leave a deposit or anything. They said to give them 10 days notice and they could get the one I wanted (blk/blk nav, ml, sport.)
Old 04-12-06, 05:20 PM
S L I C K
Lead Lap

Don’t sound desperate and don’t let them take too much of your time.
Old 04-12-06, 06:19 PM
armored350
Driver School Candidate

It sucks here in Columbus, the 2 Lexus dealers in town are owned by the same guy.
Old 04-12-06, 06:23 PM
Lem144
Intermediate

Originally Posted by al503
I'll be getting a great deal on my IS in about a month.

I went in and told them that X is what I wanted to pay and that I could bring up clublexus.com and show him the thread on it. He did the 'gotta talk to the manager' thing a few times, tried to get me to trade in my G for KBB trade in value, etc., but he finally caved in.

I just let him know that I wasn't in a terrible hurry to get into the IS and could wait longer if I had to.

I could probably play them off of another dealership but I got an acceptable price to me and we shook on it. I didn't have to leave a deposit or anything. They said to give them 10 days notice and they could get the one I wanted (blk/blk nav, ml, sport.)
You "shook on it'? You never a leave a dealership without something in writing. That is rule #1. Good luck getting them to get you a car when you want it. They don't work that way.

I got $3900 off by submitting my order to about 8 dealers via the Lexus web site. One got back to be and offered 3% over invoice. He was further away, but then one nearby called and asked how they could earn my business. I told them to match the 3% and I'd do it. They agreed, and when I went in spent 10 minutes at the table to leave the deposit.

Easy.
Old 04-12-06, 09:10 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lem144
You "shook on it'? You never a leave a dealership without something in writing. That is rule #1. Good luck getting them to get you a car when you want it. They don't work that way.
I've purchased from them before and they know I'll purchase from them again. Besides, I think when I walk in there with a check in the amount agreed upon, I doubt they'll turn me away.

I'd be more than willing to give you 2 to 1 odds, sir.
Old 04-12-06, 10:39 PM
Badman Forever
Lead Lap

this didn't occur on a lexus, but the technique would probably work:
i heard this story from someone who moved from hawaii to texas.
they kept their cell as a hawaii number.
emailed a local tx dealer to get a quote.
they called up the texas salesguy using a hawaii number (when in actuality they were in tx).
since the salesguy thought there was no way in hell the person would come get the car, he gave a ridiculously low quote.
the guy printed out the email, showed up at dealership next day and got the bargain of the century.
Old 04-13-06, 12:42 AM
paeko73
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Badman Forever
this didn't occur on a lexus, but the technique would probably work:
i heard this story from someone who moved from hawaii to texas.
they kept their cell as a hawaii number.
emailed a local tx dealer to get a quote.
they called up the texas salesguy using a hawaii number (when in actuality they were in tx).
since the salesguy thought there was no way in hell the person would come get the car, he gave a ridiculously low quote.
the guy printed out the email, showed up at dealership next day and got the bargain of the century.
How did that someone get the salesguy to transcribe his telephone conversation onto email to print out? If I understood you correctly, you said that the customer "called" to obtain the "ridiculously low quote", then the guy "printed out the email". I live in Hawaii, so perhaps I should use the same technique vice versa, using someone's Texas cell number.