IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Tint Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-06, 08:15 PM
inecstaz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tint Issues

I just got my windows tinted today. Wanted 35% all around. However, they were only able to tint the rear 3 windows. He said they tried 4 times to tint the 2 front windows, but that the window seal was soooo tight, it kept sliding the tint off and wouldnt stick.

Did anyone else have this problem.

He recommended another place nearby that can try to tint the front ones... otherwise I dont know what I'm gonna do. I like it when all the windows are tinted. It looks a lot cleaner.
Old 04-14-06, 08:28 PM
Fire Chief
Driver School Candidate

Get a better tint installer. My long time installer did our fronts just fine and the whole car looks OUTSTANDING. They did not whine at all about seals, or saying it was hard...
Old 04-14-06, 08:56 PM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds like he needs more experience........

My tinter had the entire car done in about 2 hours and it looks perfect. He was doing ceramic film......
Old 04-14-06, 09:03 PM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

I agree with the others. Your installer needs remedial training. I just had all mine done at 35% two weeks ago. They did a great job.

Old 04-14-06, 09:28 PM
IS350Sport
Rookie

Originally Posted by inecstaz
I just got my windows tinted today. Wanted 35% all around. However, they were only able to tint the rear 3 windows. He said they tried 4 times to tint the 2 front windows, but that the window seal was soooo tight, it kept sliding the tint off and wouldnt stick.

Did anyone else have this problem.

He recommended another place nearby that can try to tint the front ones... otherwise I dont know what I'm gonna do. I like it when all the windows are tinted. It looks a lot cleaner.
I just got mine tinted 20% yesterday looks great. My installer had no problems. No pics raining always raining. Just find out what brand of film he used so the other shop can match the tint. He needs more experience.
Old 04-14-06, 09:33 PM
Dj Rando
Pole Position

Look for people who use Formula 1 tint. ITs absolutly the best. I have 35% ceramic tint...formula 1 Pinnacle series. Expensive, but very nice.
Old 04-15-06, 08:33 AM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

That's what I'm running too.........

Not as expesive as Huper Optik though............ My car was $350 all the way around for Pinnicle. Huper was $500+.........No thanks.
Old 04-15-06, 09:24 AM
Dj Rando
Pole Position

You got pinnacle cheep. I payed 450 all the way around. But they did a fantastic job.
Old 04-15-06, 09:53 AM
inecstaz
Pole Position

The tinter I went to has 12+ years of experience, and has done the IS250 4 other times. He said that mine was particularly hard. Could it have been due to the rain? It was raining and there may have been a lot of moisture in the air. dont know?
Old 04-15-06, 12:08 PM
evotolexus
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on finding a new tinter.

Had Formula One Pinnacle series 35 on side windows and series 15 on back window.
Took about 2 1/2 hours. They quoted $319, but negotiated to $300 including tax.
Attached Thumbnails Tint Issues-img_0066.jpg  
Old 04-15-06, 01:04 PM
knox_sport
Driver

Default tint covering 3rd brake light?

Was your tint applied covering the 3rd brake light?

I wasn't sure if they could do that in case it was a law or something...

Thanks!
Old 05-11-06, 10:14 AM
glilly
Pole Position

Originally Posted by knox_sport
Was your tint applied covering the 3rd brake light?

I wasn't sure if they could do that in case it was a law or something...

Thanks!
I have the same question!!

I called my tint guy, he said if the 3rd brake light is flush w/ the rear glass, he cuts around it. I hate that look, so I asked if he could remove the light, tint it, then re-install the light. He asked that I do this ahead of time. When I looked under the trunk/deck lid, ...theres alot of carpet and have no idea on how to remove the light assembly. Is it needed? Have your tint guys been able to tint over it w/o removal?

Greg
Old 05-11-06, 10:19 AM
mwaull
Lexus Test Driver

how many different tint kinds are there??? Jees I didnt know tint could be so complicated . . . which ones do not interfere with the sat. radio also?
Old 05-11-06, 02:55 PM
VanIS350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by glilly
I have the same question!!

I called my tint guy, he said if the 3rd brake light is flush w/ the rear glass, he cuts around it. I hate that look, so I asked if he could remove the light, tint it, then re-install the light. He asked that I do this ahead of time. When I looked under the trunk/deck lid, ...theres alot of carpet and have no idea on how to remove the light assembly. Is it needed? Have your tint guys been able to tint over it w/o removal?

Greg
Yeah, I want to know too.... how many of your cars has tinted the 3rd brake light?? Can someone show some pic please?? Thx!!
Old 05-11-06, 11:42 PM
inecstaz
Pole Position

Sadly I dont have pics yet.... but the 3rd brake light was tinted as well...and I'm fairly sure they didnt have to remove anything. Not sure though, didnt watch them do it... but they didnt mention anything.

Also, I went back on a sunny day and there was no problem for them tinting the front windows. They figure it must have been the rain that day that was affecting it somehow. Makes sense.

Quick Reply: Tint Issues