IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How fast have you taken your IS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-06, 10:35 AM
G35TOIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

145 last week. prob the only time i'll do it. hit 155 in my G coupe when i had it. have to try it at least once
Old 05-04-06, 11:46 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 264 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by cdeslandes
I only go fast (>80) between 4 and 5 AM when there's little traffic and no cops.
120 can be achieved just by passing a couple of trucks, above that you need a lot of space. That's why I haven't exceeded 130 yet.
Be careful during those hours; 4-5AM is prime time for deer collisions. It's more of a problem during mating season (October - December), but it can happen any time of year.
Old 05-04-06, 11:47 AM
IS350_PHIL
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bichon
Be careful during those hours; 4-5AM is prime time for deer collisions. It's more of a problem during mating season (October - December), but it can happen any time of year.
Boy, hitting a deer at 80+ will ruin your whole day (not to mention your car...)
Old 05-04-06, 11:50 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by diablo1
There are plenty of ways to use the power and capabilities of the IS350 without breaking the law. For example, I love accelerating from an onramp up to highway speeds in no time. This is almost even a "safety feature" because those old ladies in their slow 4-cylinder sedans that take 20 seconds to get up to highway speed just break the flow of highway traffic and make an accident more likely. The faster you can merge into highway traffic at highway speeds, the better.

Accelerating out of a toll booth is also pretty fun. One of the only times you can really do 0-60 in the real world...

I agree that going 100+ on a deserted road in Nevada is ok... But out here in the Northeast, there are very few, if any, places where that kind of speed would be safe. I've never been over 95, and I've also never been on a straight, open highway with no traffic. I need to take a roadtrip to the Midwest.

Your onramps dont have speed limits? In VA, the on ramp normally has a posted 25MPH or 35MPH
Old 05-04-06, 11:54 AM
teracon
Driver

About 138 - going downhill - while under the break-in period.... less than 500 miles on it....
Old 06-13-06, 01:41 AM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Well it was 1:30 am and I decided to go out, the freeway was pretty empty, 1 to 2 cars. got it to 144mph and the revs were still under 5k, probably around 4k, this car can probably do 160. If anyone want video that isnt shaky as the one on you tube right now, I can try to get it up.
Old 06-13-06, 06:09 AM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

About 105mph.
Old 06-13-06, 06:11 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Our cars feel fast until about 70or 80mph.. I don't think these cars pull hard
after 100.. I never really pushed it too hard on the highway, but thats the impression I get..
I think an LMS exhaust would help top end on these cars tremedously

Last edited by Tony1; 06-13-06 at 06:27 PM.
Old 06-13-06, 06:33 AM
KOOLFELLA
Advanced

Received 120 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Hartawan
Well it was 1:30 am and I decided to go out, the freeway was pretty empty, 1 to 2 cars. got it to 144mph and the revs were still under 5k, probably around 4k, this car can probably do 160. If anyone want video that isnt shaky as the one on you tube right now, I can try to get it up.
I WANT VIDEO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
Old 06-13-06, 06:53 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hartawan
Yes post it!!
Old 06-13-06, 06:59 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

You're in your new IS, you're on a country road with no one around, the road is a straight line for miles, you get the car up to 130 mph.....then a deer jumps in front of you. Either you panic and roll your car off the road or you keep it together but your front end is smashed. I guess that's a chance you have to take to see how fast your car is.

My point is, at 130 mph, you can take your reaction time and throw it out the door. And even if you can react in time, the car may not be able to handle the evasive action at those speeds. The chance of this happening to you may be low, but is it really worth your life? I guess it is for some.

Now if you're on a track, that's a different story. It's still dangerous but at least it's somewhat a controlled environment.
Old 06-13-06, 07:05 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Flipsonic
You're in your new IS, you're on a country road with no one around, the road is a straight line for miles, you get the car up to 130 mph.....then a deer jumps in front of you. Either you panic and roll your car off the road or you keep it together but your front end is smashed. I guess that's a chance you have to take to see how fast your car is.

My point is, at 130 mph, you can take your reaction time and throw it out the door. And even if you can react in time, the car may not be able to handle the evasive action at those speeds. The chance of this happening to you may be low, but is it really worth your life? I guess it is for some.

Now if you're on a track, that's a different story. It's still dangerous but at least it's somewhat a controlled environment.
130 is nothing, cruising speed in germany where I lived for a few years.

Come on dont spoil the fun for others! You have a 306hp car, you have to test out the speed at least ONCE. I hate it when people buy a Porsche TT, M3, etc and they are doing 60mph on the right lane of the freeway. I just knod my head.
Old 06-13-06, 07:28 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
130 is nothing, cruising speed in germany where I lived for a few years.

Come on dont spoil the fun for others! You have a 306hp car, you have to test out the speed at least ONCE. I hate it when people buy a Porsche TT, M3, etc and they are doing 60mph on the right lane of the freeway. I just knod my head.
Well it wasn't my intention to spoil it for others. Who am I to tell people what to do? I'm just speaking from my own point of view. If you're a dad and care about your wife and two kids very much, you would know what I'm talking about regardless if you're in Germany or whatever kind of exotic car you drive. All that speeding, been there, done that. I guess maturity plays a big part behind what I say.

So you nod your head when people are driving safe and obeying the law?

Last edited by Flipsonic; 06-13-06 at 07:36 AM.
Old 06-13-06, 12:13 PM
chubbymike
Driver

90! (maybe 91 or 2) woo hoo!!

I'm a big chicken, don't want to get tickets and wreck my car. I'm too old (30) to stay out until 3 AM to test how fast I'm willing to go
Old 06-13-06, 12:46 PM
Wid IS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Flipsonic

Not to mention the deer coming through the windshield and killing the driver! happens more often than people think.

And get a little squirrely at those speeds, and the car will take to flight quicker than a single engine cessna.

There's plenty of track days and group events for testing cars on a closed circuit.

Quick Reply: How fast have you taken your IS?