IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Car shopping tips on 2IS - Out of State

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-06, 11:24 AM
evotolexus
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car shopping tips on 2IS - Out of State

It's not an exact science and I know we all have our opinions. Here's my suggestions on purchasing from out of state. I've been receiving many PM's since I posted my experience on purchasing my IS from out of state. Feel free to add any tips you may think of.

The process was fairly simple. I was in search of a 350 in Smokey Granite with Nav & Levinson and Luxury Package. I couldn't find any in Texas nor the East Coast. After further research, it seems the configuration I wanted was being allocated to the West Coast. I was in search of an allocation vehicle rather than special ordering and waiting 3 - 4 months. Also, not any dealer in Texas was willing to negotiate on pricing, MSRP only.

I contacted MANY dealers via their website from this link Elite Dealers Link I preferred contacting them via the website rather then a phone call because I could detail exactly what I was looking for so they could research and then email me back. This eliminated being placed on hold, searching the allocation list, hearing a long sales pitch, them convincing you on another color/package if they didn't have your preference, etc... Also, since they all use the same form, you can type your email once and then cut/paste onto each dealer form. Specify the interior color, exterior color, options in your preferred order so you don't waste each others time. For example I said I only wanted Smokey Granite/Black/Blue Onyx exterior with Black interior and Nav/ML; other than that I will not be interested. I was able to contact 20+ dealers within 10 minutes. Usually within hours or 1 day at most, you will receive many responses to your request.

You can generally receive a better deal on the internet because they know you're contacting multiple dealers across the nation. It also helps to let them know you're wililng to ship the vehicle in from anywhere as long as the price is right and they have what you want.

Then once I found the right vehicle, I had the dealer fax me the "Vehicle Inquiry Report". This will detail everything about the vehicle from the VIN, options, any damage via shipping (which dealers will never volunteer), shipping date, allocation number, shipping vessel, dealer code, engine code, ignition number, etc... I may be ****, but I passed on several vehicles which were damaged in shipping. This damage doesn't mean an accident, but says something had to be "adjusted" once it arrived at the port and went through inspection. I also used this to confirm the colors and options were EXACTLY what I was asking for. This also helps for recourse in the event you don't receive exactly what you asked for. Lastly, used this form for insurance paperwork(VIN).

Last step was negotiating the price, which you should use the leverage that you're speaking to many dealers and are willing to ship the vehicle for the right price. So rather then just competing with a few local Lexus dealers, they're competing with all Lexus dealers. Actually I didn't even really negotiate, I simply said "I don't want to negotiate. I have cash in hand and am dealing with many dealers across the nation. I'm looking to purchase the vehicle now so let me know your best price. Then if you come out with the best offer, I will purchase from you. Tell me what's the best you can do." Then write down their offer and continue down the list. Don't accept nor decline any offer at this time.

Don't allow them to have you name your price or reveal what other dealers are offering. Also, don't allow them to match another dealer. This forces the dealer to give their best price with only one opportunity. If they decide to gamble and not give you their best price, then they lose your business.

Last step was discussing the details on shipping and other incentives they include with the deal. I managed to have the dealer pay for the shipping costs as part of the deal. Also, rather than have them throw in the usual offer of tint, I had them deduct price of tint so I can tint myself. That way I could get the exact tint I wanted, especially since tint rules vary from state to state.

Ask them their experience with shipping out of state, open or closed container for shipping, how long will it take to ship, how they prep the vehicle for shipping, who is responsible for any damage during shipping, are you able to refuse delivery if any damage, will they register the vehicle for you in your local state, etc... Very important note, get IN WRITING or write on the contract that you're paying your local state taxes and not the state taxes from where you purchased vehicle. This will eliminate a lot of headache if you have to register the vehicle yourself. Almost forgot, find out exactly how many miles are on the car from PDI. You should receive a "truth of odometer" form.

Speaking of paperwork, be sure to discuss how they handle the paperwork. Mine was Fed-Ex'd to me and contained a prepaid Fed-Ex envelope to return. Ask how long do they take to process the paperwork and how long will it take to arrange shipping. I asked them to arrange shipping prior to processing the paperwork. My car went out within 24 hours of receiving the paperwork rather than waiting days to ship after payment is received.

It's not as daunting as many think when shopping out of state. I had a bad experience with the customer service of Kuni Lexus, but as far as the car and the overall experience, it went very well. Car arrived exactly as I expected and have been very happy since. Hope this helps.

Good luck!
Old 04-17-06, 11:35 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Good info, but you always run the risk when buying something sight unseen. Sure, you have you bases covered in writing, but in actuality could end up being a whole lot of headaches trying to get any "misunderstandings" corrected.
Old 04-17-06, 07:07 PM
evotolexus
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Good info, but you always run the risk when buying something sight unseen. Sure, you have you bases covered in writing, but in actuality could end up being a whole lot of headaches trying to get any "misunderstandings" corrected.

I agree; there's always some risk when purchasing a vehicle not seen. However, I help mitigate those risks with the "Vehicle Inquiry Form" , "Truth in Odometer", inquiring about damage during shipping, and ability to refuse upon delivery.