IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I just got the finger...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-06, 10:46 AM
DirtySouth
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Not sure why that comment is being made, I'm sure you like the rest of us have been taught to be respectful of other cultures/nationalities/races and if it's an offensive statement someone has the right to speak up about it.

The story would have been just as meaninful without describing the truck as mexican as it had no point to the story.
Well, then why don't we go a step further?. There is no point in mentioning the fact that it was a pickup or that the pickup was white. According to you, he should have just said, "A human being in an unidentified vehicle gave me the bird."

Adjectives =
Old 04-19-06, 10:50 AM
linh811
Lead Lap

what is wrong with using "mexican" as a description? Like "big, small, tall, short?"
Old 04-19-06, 10:52 AM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
(No difference in the story) so why offend someone unnecessarily

Why be PC........? That's the problem withthis country. Everybody is so worried about what someone lese thinks, it clouds their real feelings and judgement to the point our society is becoming sterile-minded.

Mexicans, blacks, asians, indians, middle easterns..............everyone has their biases and prejudices. Anyone who tells me they are not are only fooling themselves.

So why offend someone unnecessarily?.........Because not everyone feels the need to sugar coat your ears and allow you to live in a bio-dome world of perfection........
Old 04-19-06, 10:54 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OK guys. Let's not turn this into a race debate. (We have a debate forum if you guys want to get into it. ) The OP has explained himself and alluded to an apology when he said he did not mean to offend. If you have comments about him getting the finger, feel free to post. Otherwise, this thread will run its course and we can all go back to discussing other things.

Thanks.
Old 04-19-06, 10:54 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ahohnstein
give me a break. go whine somewhere else. there was nothing in the post that was not factual or derogatory.
Would you make the statement in a staff meeting at your workplace?

Edit: Sorry....these posts come so fast.
Old 04-19-06, 10:58 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, then why don't we go a step further?. There is no point in mentioning the fact that it was a pickup or that the pickup was white. According to you, he should have just said, "A human being in an unidentified vehicle gave me the bird."
It's called having respect for others and knowing how to speak in a public forum. You are entitled to your opinion, racist views, thoughts, comments, etc but to have simple common courtesy isn't too much to ask for is it?

What if the conversation were the same and it was your mom, sister, child who is disabled, would you feel any different if the convo was posted here and you had to read

"So yea I have had my IS 350 for just 2 days now and i was driving down the street with almost no one around me and this white pickup (with a little retarted boy/old lady with big t*t, etc) comes hauling up behind me"

Your comment above is correct, the person driving the car was human as we'd all assume so why not address it as such. Some guy in a truck flipped me off for no reason is the point of the story, why not state is at such and EVERYONE can enjoy the story and provide feedback?
Old 04-19-06, 11:00 AM
edman688
Rookie

For all you know, the driver could've been of Puerto Rican or Dominican descent. So why even mention it when it really has no relevance to your story?

Yes, you got flipped off and maybe it made you mad and really had to point out what you thought was the driver's cultural descent. But you probably wouldn't have mentioned the driver's race had it been a white person.
Old 04-19-06, 11:04 AM
mr.BeboT
Driver

I'm gonna try to put this in to perspective for you guys, look at the locations of where these posts are coming from and you will see. Where the term 'ricer' is pretty much national now a days 'mexican truck' is probably something that us west, south-west members will know and understand and instantly get a visual. It's much like when I first came here during high school and I asked my class mates for a 'rubber', now I came from a british education system and rubbers are eracers. They weren't wrong to laugh at me they just had a different image in their head when i said 'rubber'.

/end rant.
Old 04-19-06, 11:05 AM
kenne74
Rookie

<Yawn>

Looks like someone doesn't like the word mexician......its just a word people in a story, it doesn't mean anything. We all remember how to write a short story? We use words to describe the situation to capture the audience and heh it looks like it did just that!

Now go read the newspaper they use the word mexician and nobody else seems to mind. hrmmmm maybe we should all complain...........
Old 04-19-06, 11:09 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kenne74
<Yawn>

Looks like someone doesn't like the word mexician......its just a word people in a story, it doesn't mean anything. We all remember how to write a short story? We use words to describe the situation to capture the audience and heh it looks like it did just that!

Now go read the newspaper they use the word mexician and nobody else seems to mind. hrmmmm maybe we should all complain...........

I would agree with this. As long as it is not derogatory, it's fine.

"I would like to spend my money at a mexican establishment."
"My parents came back from Cabo and they are able to perform mexican dances quite well."

apparently "mexican truck" is common place. in kansas, we don't have them so i wouldn't know.
Old 04-19-06, 11:14 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm gonna try to put this in to perspective for you guys, look at the locations of where these posts are coming from and you will see. Where the term 'ricer' is pretty much national now a days 'mexican truck' is probably something that us west, south-west members will know and understand and instantly get a visual. It's much like when I first came here during high school and I asked my class mates for a 'rubber', now I came from a british education system and rubbers are eracers. They weren't wrong to laugh at me they just had a different image in their head when i said 'rubber'.
You are 100% correct in that it probably is a term that is popular on the West Coast but this isn't a West Coast Forum, you adapt to your environment when speaking in PUBLIC, so that everyone hears your message. You post a story or experience on this board for everyone to enjoy so why go out of your way to exclude a particular group? He never mentions the driver so we can assume that he didn't see him so what relevance does 'Mexican' have to do with the story. I can understand your point somewhat (being derogatory even if it's an accepted idiom doesn't make it right) if this post was in the West Coast Forum but it isn't. If the original poster was in El Barrio by himself or with his family, I'm sure he would ask someone where he can find a White Mexican Truck out of fear of offending someone. Why change it up now?
Old 04-19-06, 11:20 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You don't seem to get the message. Please take it to an appropriate forum. Since no one seems to be interested in the finger (which is the topic of this thread) any longer,