IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Hunting tranny at low speeds....?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-06 | 11:44 AM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

Default Hunting tranny at low speeds....?

Been noticing recently that in light traffic the tranny seems to hunt for gears, or make an abrupt upshift which is very noticable. At first I thought I might have hit a bump or pot hole, but after paying attention to it, It's the tranny.....

Car is a 350 with 1200 miles.

Any thoughts or others who might be seeing this?
Old 04-19-06 | 11:53 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by unit74
Been noticing recently that in light traffic the tranny seems to hunt for gears, or make an abrupt upshift which is very noticable. At first I thought I might have hit a bump or pot hole, but after paying attention to it, It's the tranny.....

Are you sure it's hunting (which means shifting back and forth between gears constantly) or just shifting when you don't think it should be? I noticed immediately on my test drive that the shifts were pronounced. I like that about the car. Others likely don't.
Old 04-19-06 | 11:59 AM
jasoncd
Pole Position

I've had similar experiences with the 250. It's as if the car can't seem to decide which gear it should be in. Doesn't happen often enough or last long enough for me to diagnose it.
Old 04-19-06 | 12:05 PM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

Ehh.....well........I'll be driving along, usually in the residential areas and all of the sudden it up shifts with a thunk for no apparent reason. Steady thottle.

Notchy would also discribe it. I have not noticed it downshifting really. Just on the upshift. It's pretty apparent when it does it.
Old 04-19-06 | 12:06 PM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

psh thats what u get for having a auto 250. if u don't pop for the 350 you should at least get a manual!

i've noticed in automatic mode on the 350 the first gear is kind of jumpy if you're not carefull with the throttle. in S though its much more natural. so not sure what you mean by hunting
Old 04-19-06 | 12:14 PM
Jimmer350
Driver

I've noticed coming home when I turn onto my street I have to slow right down. Car will be in 2nd and I have to slow down just enough for it to drop into 1st but then usually touch the gas right away again. It searches in 1st for a second (revs for a second without engaging 1st gear) then makes an abrupt jumps into 2nd. If I don't hit the gas right away when it downshifts all is fine, but if I'm touching the gas right after it decided to move into 1st it seems to get confused.
Old 04-19-06 | 12:22 PM
C280to250
Pole Position

250 does the same thing at first . 80% traffic for 30miles and after 1 month 2200miles it seems to know what gears it should be on now

i dont feel the shifting that much anymore either that or i got used to it.

hang in there maybe the car needs alittle more time to adjust
Old 04-19-06 | 12:42 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

350 doesn't appear to have these problems.
Old 04-19-06 | 01:06 PM
cmusic
Pole Position

When pulling on to the main road in front of where I work there is a slight bump upwards from the parking lot to road from where the road was re-paved a few years ago. It's a busy two lane road and I have to usually make a sharp 90 degree turn and then accelerate quickly when pulling out. When in automatic shift mode my 250 wants to shift from 1st to 2nd just as I am rising up on the bump and pushing the gas down. The car hesitates to take off. I have to mash the gas to the floor and then the transmission computer takes a second for it to realize it should shift back down to 1st. It's annoying more than anything. The only way I have found around this problem it to put the transmission into manual shift mode and keep it in 1st gear. Then I look like I am trying to drag race out of the company parking lot.
Old 04-19-06 | 01:21 PM
GSE25
Lead Lap

I don't have this problem even when I drive 99% city 1% highway...
Old 04-19-06 | 01:24 PM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Ehh.....well........I'll be driving along, usually in the residential areas and all of the sudden it up shifts with a thunk for no apparent reason. Steady thottle.

Notchy would also discribe it. I have not noticed it downshifting really. Just on the upshift. It's pretty apparent when it does it.
Up or downshift? Are you going up a hill? Down a hill? What RPM is the motor at when the shift happens?
Old 04-19-06 | 01:29 PM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

Slow speeds........sub 45 and usually after a steady speed for 8-10 seconds on level road. Then it thumps into a higher gear out of the blue.

Now that Jimmer mentioned it, that kinda sounds like something I have been experiencing as well.
Old 04-19-06 | 01:33 PM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Slow speeds........sub 45 and usually after a steady speed for 8-10 seconds on level road. Then it thumps into a higher gear out of the blue.

Now that Jimmer mentioned it, that kinda sounds like something I have been experiencing as well.
The issues are similar. You're at the threshold for a gear change as far as your ECU is concerned. So when it decides to make the shift, it's right at the should/shouldn't line. One of the reasons I've always preferred manuals. Curse my knees.
Old 04-19-06 | 01:54 PM
IS350_PHIL
Pole Position

Completely off topic... When I read the thread title my first thought was "is it tranny season already?"
Old 04-19-06 | 02:04 PM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

Weather nice here in SoCal and the trannys are coming out.....you bet the season is starting. There's still a little winter coat on them, but that will be shed closer to summer when they are ready for a little hard driving.

Quick Reply: Hunting tranny at low speeds....?