IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

6sp Manuel,a mind if it own??

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-06, 09:07 AM
Advent
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6sp Manuel,a mind if it own??

I was driving to work this morning,I was in second gear going about 23mph,slowed down to about 15,decided to switch to first cause I knew I was going to go even slower with traffic,but it wouldnt let me switch to first.I dont think I was at high RPM's.On a 6 speed manuel does it have some kind of safety thing where it knows that if you downshift it wont let you b/c of high RPMs(safety for a blown engine).I downshift all the time from 4 to 3,3 to 2 and so forth.I'll try it again when I go home but I thought to myself"a 6 speed is what it means I shift when I want to shift regardless if I tend to blow my engine".
Old 04-21-06, 09:09 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

on manual transmissions there is interlocks on at least gear 1 and reverse gear, not sure about the other gears
Old 04-21-06, 09:10 AM
Lvangundy

Sorry, had to laugh at title..
Old 04-21-06, 09:15 AM
Advent
Rookie

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
on manual transmissions there is interlocks on at least gear 1 and reverse gear, not sure about the other gears
Thats why you are the man 4Teh..Quick response I like that.I didnt know that about the interlocks.Maybe thats what it is then.Thanks for the Info:::::I love this Website:::::::Anyone else try this with the manuel??
Old 04-21-06, 09:16 AM
Advent
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lvangundy
I guess it is kinda funny..Its even funnier without the s after "its"..
Old 04-21-06, 09:17 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

you should only try to get back into first if you're completely stopped or at the slowest crawl (less than 2 or 3 MPH).

If you want to downshift into first going 15 MPH (which i wouldn't recommend), it'll be a lot easier and a lot better for your car to rev match the downshift. Blip the throttle to 3-4K RPM's before trying to push it into gear.
Old 04-21-06, 09:17 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yesh it's probably a protection on that gear. it was on the 5 speed is300 as well. try double clutch, you should be able to get it into 1st easily. otherwise you will have to get the car to almost stop (1 or 2mph) befor eyou do go back to 1st. even you don't think (and i agree with you) the rpm is high the tranny will still do that to "protect" itself

that's why i tend to double clutch most of the time when i down shift
Old 04-21-06, 09:19 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Dude, its suppose to do that.

Just ride it in 2nd. If you are going VERY slow like less the 5mph then switch to first. If not keep it in 2nd. Simple as that.

Nothing wrong with your 6MT completely normal. All the manuals I have owned had been like this.
Old 04-21-06, 09:24 AM
Lvangundy

Same thing with the SC300 5-speed. You can get it into first at 10mph, but you have to double clutch down and rev up to 3-4K (as someone said). Sometimes the gears grind when I try this though..

Subaru manual transmissions are similar.
Old 04-21-06, 09:24 AM
Advent
Rookie

Originally Posted by rominl
yesh it's probably a protection on that gear. it was on the 5 speed is300 as well. try double clutch, you should be able to get it into 1st easily. otherwise you will have to get the car to almost stop (1 or 2mph) befor eyou do go back to 1st. even you don't think (and i agree with you) the rpm is high the tranny will still do that to "protect" itself

that's why i tend to double clutch most of the time when i down shift
This is all great info..I wonder if this is info is in the Lexus manual.Thanks for the help guys.
Old 04-21-06, 09:28 AM
Advent
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lvangundy
O and I spelled Manual wrong,thats funny too.
Old 04-21-06, 09:34 AM
ihkskim
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Advent
O and I spelled Manual wrong,thats funny too.
Its a safety feature. when i try to downshift.. it makes it hard for you to do so. But if you press it in hard enough it'll go through.
Old 04-21-06, 10:04 AM
VitB6
Pole Position

GSRThomas is right. You won't be able to shift into first unless you are going liek 7 MPH or lower. Secondly why would you eer want to shift to 1st gear going 15 MPH? I never ever even use 1st gear unless I am completely stopped. Keep it in 2nd until you hit 5 MPH or so and then just put it in neutral. If you don't come to a complete stop then put it back in 2nd, if you stop then throw it in first. No reason to rev the engine downshifting to 1st gear.
Old 04-21-06, 10:09 AM
Advent
Rookie

Originally Posted by VitB6
GSRThomas is right. You won't be able to shift into first unless you are going liek 7 MPH or lower. Secondly why would you eer want to shift to 1st gear going 15 MPH? I never ever even use 1st gear unless I am completely stopped. Keep it in 2nd until you hit 5 MPH or so and then just put it in neutral. If you don't come to a complete stop then put it back in 2nd, if you stop then throw it in first. No reason to rev the engine downshifting to 1st gear.
I wasnt going to downshift at 15mph but I knew I would be getting down to like 8 to 5 mph so I tried then...anywayz I like how this works..
Old 04-21-06, 01:26 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

really? in my 05 Civic Si I could downshift from 3 to 1 no problem...well except that it would get kinda violent...

Quick Reply: 6sp Manuel,a mind if it own??