IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Sport Shifting, was i seeing things?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-06, 10:09 AM
KuyaPatz
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Sport Shifting, was i seeing things?

So i test drove an IS350. the acceleration on that is a beast i love it. but i was in sport shifting mode to use the paddles and i think i saw it shift on its own still!? im guessing thats a saftery feature on it to prtoect the gears? i was in third gear reving past 3k rpms and about to pass 4k rpms but then it shifted up for me without me touching the paddle or stick. At least thats what i THINK i saw. can someone show me the light?
Old 04-21-06, 10:11 AM
Aclarke
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im pretty sure that you weren't seeing things... most cars in "sport mode" will shift automatically at times... regardless of the manufacturer.
Old 04-21-06, 10:11 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KuyaPatz
So i test drove an IS350. the acceleration on that is a beast i love it. but i was in sport shifting mode to use the paddles and i think i saw it shift on its own still!? im guessing thats a saftery feature on it to prtoect the gears? i was in third gear reving past 3k rpms and about to pass 4k rpms but then it shifted up for me without me touching the paddle or stick. At least thats what i THINK i saw. can someone show me the light?

Not sure what happened to you but if you are in 2nd gear and you stomp on the accelerator and you double manual shift to 4th gear, the vehicle will go from 2nd to redline, then from 3rd to redline, and then to 4th.

So you are telling it which gear to top out in, that would be 4th (in no case would it go beyond that).

And the quick double shift along with the heavy acceleration would be telling it to go to redline in each gear before shifting.
Old 04-21-06, 10:22 AM
VitB6
Pole Position

Ken is probably right, however you say that you saw it shift between 3K and 4K and that would never happen. If you didn't double shift then it will redline out and just stay there. It downshifts for you at certain speeds but it doesn't upshift the way your explained your story.
Old 04-21-06, 10:31 AM
KuyaPatz
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

hahaha thanks guys i think i was just seeing things lol ill play with it more after i buy one. hoping i can get one soon GAH
Old 04-21-06, 10:34 AM
Kipperm13
Driver

Originally Posted by kensteele
Not sure what happened to you but if you are in 2nd gear and you stomp on the accelerator and you double manual shift to 4th gear, the vehicle will go from 2nd to redline, then from 3rd to redline, and then to 4th.

So you are telling it which gear to top out in, that would be 4th (in no case would it go beyond that).

And the quick double shift along with the heavy acceleration would be telling it to go to redline in each gear before shifting.

What you saw is correct. If the CAR is in 2nd and you have the MAX gear set to 5 it will shift around 4K RMP You need to remember that its not a ture manual. you are only telling the car the hightest gear you want it to **** to. It still will **** when it wants. If you do the double **** and stomp on it, it will readline but if you don't it will **** when it needs to. When you are driving set the disp on the dash to show what gear you are in. Then when you switch to sport you will see the two numbers. The MAX gear and the gear the car is really in but is should never go above the max gear.
Old 04-21-06, 10:46 AM
RCPiercy
Driver

is your f key broken?
Old 04-21-06, 10:54 AM
ihkskim
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RCPiercy
is your f key broken?
when i test drove the is. it did shift on its own after a certain rpm.
Old 04-21-06, 10:54 AM
Kipperm13
Driver

Thast Strage lol sorry about that

OK this is what I ment :
What you saw is correct. If the CAR is in 2nd and you have the MAX gear set to 5 it will shift around 4K RMP You need to remember that its not a ture manual. you are only telling the car the hightest gear you want it to shift to. It still will shift when it wants. If you do the double shift and stomp on it, it will readline but if you don't it will shift when it needs to. When you are driving set the disp on the dash to show what gear you are in. Then when you switch to sport you will see the two numbers. The MAX gear and the gear the car is really in but is should never go above the max gear.
Attached Thumbnails Sport Shifting, was i seeing things?-350-1.jpg  
Old 04-21-06, 10:56 AM
Kipperm13
Driver

Originally Posted by Kipperm13
Thast Strage lol sorry about that

OK this is what I ment :
What you saw is correct. If the CAR is in 2nd and you have the MAX gear set to 5 it will shift around 4K RMP You need to remember that its not a ture manual. you are only telling the car the hightest gear you want it to shift to. It still will shift when it wants. If you do the double shift and stomp on it, it will readline but if you don't it will shift when it needs to. When you are driving set the disp on the dash to show what gear you are in. Then when you switch to sport you will see the two numbers. The MAX gear and the gear the car is really in but is should never go above the max gear.

HAHA Sorry the other way around .... WOW I am out of it today
Old 04-21-06, 11:00 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't worry kipperm we understand you are having trouble with the keys and your typing.
Old 04-21-06, 11:00 AM
Kipperm13
Driver

here you go
Attached Thumbnails Sport Shifting, was i seeing things?-350-1.jpg  
Old 04-21-06, 11:28 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

The only thing I use the sport mode for is occasionally braking to reduce some of the brake dust that quickly builds up or I'm just bored and want to blip through my own gears. Other then that I see no other purpose in having the sport shift mode except for track use where you dont' want it shifting past a certain gear.

PS. The user that posted the diagrams is correct. The should not shift past the max gear you selected for it.
Old 04-21-06, 12:13 PM
Phillip31
Pole Position

So u guys are saying that if u do the quick double shift and stomp on the gas pedal it will redline all the way through the gears u upshifted to.......doesn't it do that no matter wat when u stomp on it even though u dont do a quick double shift?
Old 04-21-06, 01:35 PM
rlonjohnso
Driver School Candidate

Basically, all the manual shift does is tell the car how many gears are available, not when to shift. You are just changing it from a 6 speed to a 5, 4, etc.

Quick Reply: Sport Shifting, was i seeing things?