IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

MSRP vs. Invoice ... Putnam in CA is quoting $500 off MSRP ... that's it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-06, 03:15 AM
lexi4darin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy MSRP vs. Invoice ... Putnam in CA is quoting $500 off MSRP ... that's it?

Hey guys, I'm about 2 months away from buying an IS350. I've got my heart set on Granite Mica with black/black or black/sterling interior. Not yet settled on the Lux or Sport package but I'm leaning towards Lux.

Anyway, today I was quoted by the Putnam Lexus dealer for the Granite Mica and Lux package. Right now I'm shocked. Minimum $43,000 dollars (more like $45,000-46,000 with the extra warranty and NO tax included; another $4,000 with tax) and a minimum of 8 weeks for delivery of the Granite Mica color, more like 12 weeks.

OMG, this is not only outrageously over MSRP but it did not include the Spider wheel option I'm hoping to get. $50k is TOO much for this car. Heck, $45k is too much

What are other people paying? I do searches all over the internet and find that the car I want (color and options) is invoiced at $38k. Do I need to wait til August and til '07 start coming out to get closer to the invoice price.

Putnam said they could not move more than $500 on the MSRP price. "absolutely not. We move these cars before they hit the lot and with over 30 people on the wait list, you're better off putting a $1,000 deposit down (fully refundable) if you want one before end of summer. With the deposit, it would take 6-8 weeks for delivery minimum".

I haven't tried other dealers yet. But c'mon, I'm not paying full MSRP AND waiting for 2-3 months. I was hoping to pay no more than $39k. Do I need to shop around, wait til end of summer, or buy used?
????
Old 04-23-06, 04:52 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

try to shop around, cali has been much more lenient on discounts, some people have gotten about 2k - 2.5k off
Old 04-23-06, 05:49 AM
casey225
Pole Position

I've heard that when the dealers put the G-spiders on as an option as your oem wheel, they charge up to $2-2.5K (I haven't verified this myself mind you), but you can buy the wheels yourself for about $1K.
Old 04-23-06, 08:37 AM
DagsIS350
Driver School Candidate

Shop around and be willing to drive a few extra miles (the dealers get an update on what allocations are coming in, so check with them once a week) . Luckily one of the dealerships had a cancellation on a order of the exact one that I wanted. I put my refundable deposit to hold it under my name. Once it arrived the car had a sold sign on it. They also had 3 people on their waiting list if I backed out. But, I was only able to get 1k off. As you can tell the car is in high demand. You have to weigh it out...do you pay the premium price to have it now...or wait a few months for the hype to die down and save a few thousand. I'm impatient so I was willing to take the deal to get the color and equipment I wanted. I've had it for over a month and a half now and have no regrets.
Old 04-23-06, 09:24 AM
imaputz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexi4darin
I haven't tried other dealers yet. But c'mon, I'm not paying full MSRP AND waiting for 2-3 months. I was hoping to pay no more than $39k. Do I need to shop around, wait til end of summer, or buy used?
????

39K for IS350 LUX?! .... Maybe next year
Old 04-23-06, 09:58 AM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know where in CA you are but if you're in southern CA, good luck on finding the car you want for under $40k. This car is in very much high demand right now so the dealers are not willing to negotiate on the price AT ALL. If you want them to be flexible on the price, you're better off waiting til next year or be willing to buy one that's been on the lot w/o all the bells and whistles (basically a base IS).

I waited an agonizing 4 months for mine and was able to get only $1k off of MSRP but that was only because I had a friend that worked for Lexus. I ended up paying roughly $47k OTD when everything was said and done.

Good luck.
Old 04-23-06, 10:53 AM
sclx
Rookie

I just picked up my car (Tungsten Silver Sport / Nav / ML / factory spoiler) at Roseville Lexus for just a bit over $3000 off MSRP. I live in San Jose, but it was worth the 2 hour drive. All of the dealers in the Bay Area told me either $500 off or nothing off. This is my 7th Lexus (yes I know I'm a bit hooked). I went to the Lexus website, looked up all of the dealers in California, and emailed all of their Internet sales people. I got back emails from all of them, some stating "hey give me a call and I'll help", some just giving me the price like I was stupid, and some with exactly what they have in stock along with a discounted price. Roseville was one of those. THey had the color and options I wanted sitting on the lot. We negotiated for a few minutes on the phone, got the price down a bit more, then I made sure he would hold the car at that price for me by giving him a credit card over the phone. I drove up there a few hours later, it was in front of the showroom, detailed, with a big green "sold" sign on it.

Don't just give up, try all of the dealers that you are willing to drive to. I tried all of the dealers in southern CA also, because a $100 flight down there is nothing to save a few thousand dollars. Plus it would be a nice 5 hour drive back home in the new car.

Don't Settle! Look around!

Last edited by sclx; 04-23-06 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-23-06, 11:09 AM
2Fast0
Driver School Candidate

you just need to find the right dealership with the right salesman. when and only when both conditions are met, then you should get at least 2500 off at this time of the year. i got 2234 off my is350 a month ago.
Old 04-23-06, 12:05 PM
IS350ISFUN
Driver

In the bay area 350s with sport or LUX package is pretty hard to come by.....very high demand....if you are willing to purchase one w/o those two packages you'll get a much better deal
Old 04-23-06, 01:38 PM
tjp
Rookie

I bought my IS350 from Putnam in January. They knocked off $1,500 of MSRP. Maybe it's more of a sellers market now, or they are just trying to get every $ off of you. The good thing about the Bay Area, is there are plenty of Lexus dealers to go to.
Old 04-23-06, 02:02 PM
S54toIS350
Lexus Champion

I paid 46k out the door for mine.

My car is CW 350 w/ Nav, Sports, ML, etc, etc plus G Spider wheels, Spoiler, and Black Chrome badges. The MSRP was 48,900 for mine.
Old 04-23-06, 02:16 PM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by S54toIS350
I paid 46k out the door for mine.

My car is CW 350 w/ Nav, Sports, ML, etc, etc plus G Spider wheels, Spoiler, and Black Chrome badges. The MSRP was 48,900 for mine.
That's a pretty good deal. Where in CA are you from?
Old 04-23-06, 04:18 PM
eg6turbo
Rookie

sgm is hardest to find obviously...but go over to serramonte and talk to eddie tell him edward and winnie sent you and he is probably the only guy that can get you a good deal...sgm is hard and that is a very agressive price for that kind of car but i know for a fact that he will beat 43k for what u want...he doesnt bull***** around..go in when you are ready to buy...not 2 months down the road...he will get u the car u want but its still a small wait for that color...
Old 04-23-06, 04:22 PM
AznJason
Lead Lap

I got my Lexus < a month ago from Stevens Creek Lexus. Give Kristina Taroni (408-553-4546) a call and see what she can help you set up. I got $1,750 off without any additional packages, so there's a good chance you could get more off. Can always mention Jason sent you if you go that route
Old 04-23-06, 04:23 PM
eg6turbo
Rookie

Originally Posted by AznJason
I got my Lexus < a month ago from Stevens Creek Lexus. Give Kristina Taroni (408-553-4546) a call and see what she can help you set up. I got $1,750 off without any additional packages, so there's a good chance you could get more off. Can always mention Jason sent you if you go that route
how much did u pay..??

Quick Reply: MSRP vs. Invoice ... Putnam in CA is quoting $500 off MSRP ... that's it?