IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How do you? (lock the doors while the car is warming up?)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-06, 10:21 PM
C280to250
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you? (lock the doors while the car is warming up?)

Sorry for the title but i had to get some info on this.
In the morning i normally warm up the car for about five minutes before i leave,
but i cant lock the door when the car is warming up.
Do you have any solution on this?

thanks
Old 04-23-06, 10:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

there isn't really such thing as warming up the car, so you shouldn't have problems locking the doors?
Old 04-23-06, 10:59 PM
mike714
Rookie

5 minutes? This isn't a '68 Chevy. Warm up for 30 seconds tops, drive gently until the temp needle reaches its normal operating position, have fun.
Old 04-23-06, 11:21 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

i usually wait till the rpms drops then I go.
Old 04-23-06, 11:48 PM
dajwilson
Driver

Usually when people are talking about "warming" the car up, they're usually talking about turning the heat and raising the interior temp. I know when I lived in MD, in the winter, I would not get in my car unless it had been on for about 10 minutes so it would not feel as if I was getting into an ice box.

I would think that's what this thread is about. If not, I'll climb back in my hole and agree that this car does not need to be "warmed" up.
Old 04-24-06, 12:50 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by dajwilson
Usually when people are talking about "warming" the car up, they're usually talking about turning the heat and raising the interior temp. I know when I lived in MD, in the winter, I would not get in my car unless it had been on for about 10 minutes so it would not feel as if I was getting into an ice box.

I would think that's what this thread is about. If not, I'll climb back in my hole and agree that this car does not need to be "warmed" up.
haha he's in cali. even if you are in norcal where weather could be a bit cold in the morning, you still don't need to warm for 5 mins. cars like ours, give it 30 secs and start driving. just don't torture the car unless it's fully warmed up
Old 04-24-06, 02:17 AM
dajwilson
Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
haha he's in cali. even if you are in norcal where weather could be a bit cold in the morning, you still don't need to warm for 5 mins. cars like ours, give it 30 secs and start driving. just don't torture the car unless it's fully warmed up

I didn't pay attention to his location, but now that you mention it, I feel like a dumba$$. Just strike my previous statement.
Old 04-24-06, 07:36 AM
Lupin5
Driver

How about the people who do live in colder climates and would like to warm their cars up (inside temp). I tried to lock the doors but it wouldn't let me. I believe it's a safety feature. Anybody have any imput on this.
Old 04-24-06, 07:55 AM
C280to250
Pole Position

LOL with all this response i still did not get the answer i needed.
I really dont care how other people warm up the car

I would just like to know if there is a way. Let get back to TOPIC here
Old 04-24-06, 07:56 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Lupin5
I tried to lock the doors but it wouldn't let me. I believe it's a safety feature. Anybody have any imput on this.
Interesting question actually. I was at the dealer some weeks ago, and the salesman said he had a lady approach him with a similar question concerning this feature. Apparently, when she put the car in park, it would unlock her doors automatically- not something she wanted to happen in the lower lit areas she worked as she went about her evenings. I believe it was in the personal settings, but they disabled the feature for her, leaving it up to her to manually lock/unlock her doors. I agree completely though, it can be convenient, but unsafe at the same time.
Old 04-24-06, 09:01 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So there really isn't an easy way to do this. A quick search will bring up this topic when it first posted this winter...to which several ideas were presented. If you start the car, lower the window, get out and close the door behind you, I'm pretty sure you can reach in and lock the doors. But that's about it.
Old 04-24-06, 09:53 AM
evotolexus
Driver

It may be a pain, but how about if you left 1 key FOB in the car and used the other FOB to lock the car. That way the car would still detect a FOB and allow you to lock the doors, right??
Old 04-24-06, 11:02 AM
C280to250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by evotolexus
It may be a pain, but how about if you left 1 key FOB in the car and used the other FOB to lock the car. That way the car would still detect a FOB and allow you to lock the doors, right??

Yup. that would be a pain

Okay thank you again.
Old 04-24-06, 06:57 PM
Immortal54
Driver School Candidate

I don't think that would work either. From my experience the car will not lock if a key fob is detected inside the vehicle.
Old 04-25-06, 06:57 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Yes it will. This topic has been discussed numerous times with all likely examples covered, if you do a quick search, you can find some new ideas and choose which solution works best for you. BUT If the engine is running, you cannot lock the doors with the remote regardless. If the engine is not running, you can lock the remote inside the car with another remote from the outside and the only way to unlock is with a remote from the outside....no door handle functions.

Quick Reply: How do you? (lock the doors while the car is warming up?)