IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How many of you guys are planning to use synthetic oil?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-06, 02:02 PM
js1020
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DingDingDao
I've used Mobil 1 with every car I've owned since I was 16, and I'm not going to change now.

same hear mobil 1 everytime
Old 04-26-06, 03:18 PM
casey225
Pole Position

Probably regular. I change at regular intervals and put "low impact" miles on my car. I don't think I'll benefit from synthetic.
Old 04-26-06, 05:55 PM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I frirst read about Mobil 1 in Popular Science or Popular Mechanics years ago. They ran two engines for 100,000 miles then tore down the engines and measured everything against original manufacturers specifications. In each case, oil had been changed at the prescribed intervals. The engine that had been run on regular oil had significant sludge buildup and the engine parts showed noticable wear (I forget how much). In contrast, the Mobil 1 engine had absolutely no sludge buildup, and amazingly the engine still measured within specs for a new engine--in otherwords, there was no appreciable wear.

So, if you think you know better and and want to make a decision based on feeling and not fact, go ahead and use regular oil. But if you intend to run your car hard or want it to last well beyond 100k miles, then based on what I've read, I'm going to stick with synthetic oil. I don't think it's a waste of money, I see it as cheap insurance.

Also, why is that BMW only uses synthetic oil in their cars? I know people who are running their BMW's with 250 thousand miles--think the synthetic oil had anything to do with it? Finally, I'm sure we have a few petroleum engineers on the board, let's hear from you.
Old 04-26-06, 05:59 PM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Default oil & synthetic myths

Even if you have low impact miles, and don't race, you can benefit from the use of synthetic oils. Oil is used for heat dissapation and lubrication. Check out this link for some good oil information we can benefit from. its pretty good.
http://www.quakerstate.com/pages/carcare/whattoknow.asp
Old 04-26-06, 06:18 PM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

Here read this--no wear after 200,000 miles and very little after 1 million miles

http://exxonmobil.com/corporate/file...fact_sheet.pdf

Using Mobil 1 regularly helps to protect critical engine parts in high temperatures, reduce
deposit build-up and sludge, and condition seals to prevent leaks.

Mobil 1 Proof of Performance Testing
Mobil 1 has undergone extreme testing under some of the most demanding circumstances and
test results continually confirm the outstanding performance protection of Mobil 1.

• One Million Miles on Mobil 1
A 1990 model year import car was tested for 1,000,000 miles with Advanced Formula
Mobil 1. After completing the test, internal engine components showed little wear and oil
consumption during the entire test was only .040 quarts/1,000 miles.

• 200,000 Mile Comparison
Two vehicles were tested over 200,000 miles using Mobil 1 5W-30 and a premium brand 5W-
30 conventional oil. Test results revealed greater engine-wear and heavy varnish deposits for
the conventional oil and oil consumption was eight times higher than Mobil 1. The engine
parts from the Mobil 1 vehicle showed no significant wear and still met factory specifications
at the end of test.
-
Old 04-26-06, 08:22 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Once I do my first oil change, I will be switching to synthetic oil.
Old 04-26-06, 08:57 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
you wont really have much of a benefit of conventional vs synthetic unless you start taking the oil a bit past the oil change interval which is where synthetic starts to shine
My thought is the same
Old 04-26-06, 09:06 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lifeisgood
, why is that BMW only uses synthetic oil in their cars? I know people who are running their BMW's with 250 thousand miles--think the synthetic oil had anything to do with it? Finally, I'm sure we have a few petroleum engineers on the board, let's hear from you.
BMW uses Synthetic because the service interval for their car is 15K miles.

My old Mercedes w/300k miles used conventional oil since the begining. However, I changed oil religiously @ 3K mile interval.
Old 04-26-06, 09:35 PM
DanIS350
Rookie

Originally Posted by newr
BMW uses Synthetic because the service interval for their car is 15K miles.
Yeah, I'm not so sure that a 15K interval is cool. My friend's beamer was just retired after the dealership said it needed a new engine due to a significant amount of sludge build up.
Old 04-26-06, 10:00 PM
evotolexus
Driver

My last car required Mobil 1, so I will continue to use. However, I do feel regular oil is best for the break-in period for the components to properly seal. Synthetic oil is generally too slippery for the components to set and seal.

So I recommend running regular oil first 3-5k miles, but then switching to synthetic. My .02c
Old 04-27-06, 05:19 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Ran my Audi on synthetic but that was the 20k oil change intervals. Since the intervals are only 10k on the Lexus I'll just use the good mineral oil.
Old 04-27-06, 05:33 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by DanIS350
Yeah, I'm not so sure that a 15K interval is cool. My friend's beamer was just retired after the dealership said it needed a new engine due to a significant amount of sludge build up.
would synthetic even sludge up like that, did youre friend use synthetic?

also synthetic helps greatly for cars with forced induction where you need stronger and longer lasting lubrication because of the extra heat associated with super or turbo charging
Old 04-27-06, 05:47 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Depends on the engine, and what stage its in. During the break in period after installing my new engine, I ran non-synthetic. Running synthetic would've extended the break in period for too long, at a point where it was not necessary. However, after the break in period, I'm running synthetic on a regular basis. Synthetic will run in the IS, just as it does the other vehicles.
Old 04-27-06, 07:54 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DanIS350
What year was the car and what mileage did the car have?
Old 04-27-06, 08:29 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lifeisgood
I
Also, why is that BMW only uses synthetic oil in their cars? I know people who are running their BMW's with 250 thousand miles--think the synthetic oil had anything to do with it? Finally, I'm sure we have a few petroleum engineers on the board, let's hear from you.
Toyotas don't use synthetic oils and their engines are twice as reliable as Bmws, sorry
but your point was invalid..

Quick Reply: How many of you guys are planning to use synthetic oil?