IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Ipod Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-06, 06:39 PM
brentweiss
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ipod Question

when you plug the ipod in can you use the buttons on the steering wheel to change songs and also does the song names show up on the screen? i have heard yes and no so i wasnt sure......
Old 04-25-06, 06:44 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

No, the input it just a plain audio in. No display, and no control.
Old 04-25-06, 06:46 PM
lcarr
Rookie

Nope, all you get is an audio feed through the AUX port. All of your controls are on the iPod. The car stereo is a big boom box. But a real good one. The volume works, but that's about it.
Old 04-25-06, 06:59 PM
brentweiss
Rookie

thats soooo stupid! whats the point of even doing that and not making it fully functioning? do you think they might change this for 07?
Old 04-25-06, 07:06 PM
lcarr
Rookie

There are some 3rd party solutions out there but I haven't seen one I like yet. I'm still waiting.
Old 04-26-06, 07:48 PM
Turkoman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by brentweiss
thats soooo stupid! whats the point of even doing that and not making it fully functioning? do you think they might change this for 07?
The point is it is better than using an FM transmitter in terms of sound quality. Lexus nor Toyota appear on Apple's list of prospective full interface customers (although Scions have it). I would say '07 is unlikely. While I blame Lexus for not releasing a full interface, after seeing the Acura interface disaster, I will be content with the aux jack. Releasing something too soon without doing your homework is a bad idea in the automotive world.
Old 04-26-06, 08:14 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Turkoman
The point is it is better than using an FM transmitter in terms of sound quality.
I don't know about that. EVRYONE is having inherent problems with ground noise, almost requiring that you buy an isolator.
Old 04-26-06, 10:38 PM
gettingais
Rookie

Default Not me

Originally Posted by TimboIS
I don't know about that. EVRYONE is having inherent problems with ground noise, almost requiring that you buy an isolator.
I have heard a lot of others have problems with ground noise but I rarely (if ever) have experienced it. The only time the sound isn't good is if I had low quality mp3s or if the audio cable isn't in all the way. I have the 5G iPod if that makes any difference.
Old 04-27-06, 06:10 AM
Turkoman
Pole Position

It seems like the ground noise is limited to certain chargers and is not present if you are not actively charging. I have tried both (FM transmitter vs. aux) and it is a world of difference IMHO.
Old 04-27-06, 06:35 AM
nehal51086
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by brentweiss
its not made just for ipod.....u can use this audio input for any device...mp3 player..protable dvd player..u name it...the reason the IS doenst have true ipod intregation like other cars where u can control it from stering wheel is bc apple would require to be paid a certain percentage of the sales for the car....i would have done the same as lexus and not gone with true integration...
Old 04-27-06, 06:54 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

im gonna stick to MP3s on CD-Rs, i dont change my songs that often anyways, I believe the ML system can read MP3s on CDs
Old 04-27-06, 07:00 AM
linh811
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
im gonna stick to MP3s on CD-Rs, i dont change my songs that often anyways, I believe the ML system can read MP3s on CDs
so can the stock system
Old 04-27-06, 07:23 AM
vasco
Rookie

Nope, not me. I just charge it in the house. I connect it in the IS using the SIK dock connector and it works great. No isolator.
Old 04-27-06, 07:30 AM
is4me
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vasco
Nope, not me. I just charge it in the house. I connect it in the IS using the SIK dock connector and it works great. No isolator.
I have no problems either... I use the same connector and have an ijet connected to it so i
can change songs with the remote. ( i have a ipod mini)
Old 04-27-06, 08:15 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Turkoman
It seems like the ground noise is limited to certain chargers and is not present if you are not actively charging. I have tried both (FM transmitter vs. aux) and it is a world of difference IMHO.
So you're saying it's a problem with the charger? Then please, tell me what chargers don't have the noise problem.

Quick Reply: Ipod Question