IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS Production Stalled to Make Way for ES

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-06, 08:07 AM
SLIDE1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS Production Stalled to Make Way for ES

I have been told from multiple dealerships that IS production has been scaled way back to allow for the launch of the new ES. With all production maxed out, Lexus is choosing to make the ES over the IS. While not privy to the minds of Lexus mangement, I would guess it has to do something with the fact the ES customers tend to be more loyal repeat customers and 1/4 of all revenue Lexus does not want them even looking on over manufactures lots if ES supply is not available. On the other hand IS customers are mostly first time buyers who are purchasing the IS because it is the best car at the best price point at this moment. When the typical IS customer wants to replace his car in a few years, they will still compare BMW, Audi, Infiniti, etc.
IS allocations for the dealerships I talked to will be the least next month since launch. I was also told that if I wanted to special order I may as well wait till end of August and order a 2007. The saleman's concern that if I order now there is a possiblity I won't get the 2006 until within weeks of geeting a 2007 and a very unhappy customer.
Old 04-27-06, 08:26 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

i cant understand their position on this but its disappointing at the same time but if the ES comprises of significantly more sales than the IS then I'd probably do the same thing if I were Lexus
Old 04-27-06, 08:29 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Hmmm. You don't think that it has anything to due with the fact the ES is ALL NEW?!? I'm sure Lexus wants to make a big splash with the intro, just as they did with the IS last year. And hopefully not have a repeat of the poor allocation configurations.
Old 04-27-06, 09:49 AM
mikewpu04
Driver

this is a funny point , bc usually when I see a lexus on the road (esp in NYC where I work), I usually see the ES series cars or the RX trucks. I have yet to see an IS on the road other then mine (actualy I like that ) Considering that Lexus probably does do better with the ES, it makes sense to make more of them. I actually like having a "rarer" car. The ES is more practical for daily drivers then the IS anyway, because many people I know that consider Lexus want luxury from them and not sport. ES's seem more geared toward luxury.

Mike
Old 04-27-06, 09:53 AM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder why they cant increase production on both models so they will have more IS and ES on the lot the IS is still a hot car for lexus why risk hurting sales now.
Old 04-27-06, 10:11 AM
x986
Rookie

Sounds like a smart business decision to me. BTW, I looked at the new ES while I was having my car washed. It really underwhelmed me. I expected more, bigger, and better luxury items than the IS; they weren't there.
Old 04-27-06, 10:12 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you check out the Ultra Luxury package? That was pretty nice. The regular packages for the ES is quite underwhelming. The ES looks ten times better with the panoramic glass roof and the special polished wheels.
Old 04-27-06, 11:07 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

I don't know if anyone else did the math, but a loaded ES is cheaper than a loaded IS.
Old 04-27-06, 12:48 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TimboIS
I don't know if anyone else did the math, but a loaded ES is cheaper than a loaded IS.
Not to mention for people who lease vehicles, the money factors on the ES are MUCH lower then the IS while retaining about the same residuals across the board.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 04-27-06, 12:49 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait, are they even made in the same factory?
Old 04-27-06, 12:53 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by knihc2008
Wait, are they even made in the same factory?
yup, all lexus sedans were made in the same factory in japan at a time, however the LS just got a brand new factory that won JD Power awards, so the LS moved out. Now the GS ES IS are made in the same factory. I feel lexus learned their lesson with the IS they do not want the same shortages hitting the ES which is more of a cash cow than the IS
Old 04-27-06, 12:56 PM
SLIDE1
Driver School Candidate

Link to the thread about the article about the assembly plant.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=211598
"The ES 350 is being manufactured at the Toyota Motor Kyushu (TMK) assembly plant in Fukuoka, Japan. That plant is equipped with a flexible body line. How flexible? Well, the ES 350, a front-wheel-drive car, will be built interchangeably with the Lexus IS 250/350. "
Old 04-27-06, 02:32 PM
dong888
Pole Position

I guess it is simplity a capacity issue. Does that mean that the IS350 price will go up? Maybe it will be strictly MSRP price?
Old 04-27-06, 06:09 PM
LexAppeal
Rookie

Good, will just make my car more rare. I've only seen around 4 on the road so far. Today I saw like a gazillion BMW 3 series on the road though.
Old 04-27-06, 06:22 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up I Hope Sooooooooooo

This is exactly what I hoped would happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont want everyone and their grandma driving the new IS....

The less people driving it the better!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: IS Production Stalled to Make Way for ES