Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll have them up in a sec.
Old 04-27-06, 03:10 PM
duckduck
Pole Position

It's very possible that the glass could have shattered by itself. Has anyone ever cooked with hot glass before? You never drain hot liquid out of a glass container and then immediately fill the glass container with ice cold liquid. Doing so may cause cracks in the glass. While it's not that hot in a car, depending on the glass quality, the glass can crack/shatter. Seeing how windows are mass produced and the small rear window isn't the most important window, the glass quality doesn't have to be the best (or even mediocre). That and how I hear there are complaints about the windshield being weak...and weak paint....and easily scratchable wood panels...

Face it, Lexus doesn't use the best quality materials ever...
Old 04-27-06, 03:17 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Here's one of the broken glass
Attached Thumbnails Broken Window!!!-glass.jpg  
Old 04-27-06, 03:18 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Here's one of the scratches.
Attached Thumbnails Broken Window!!!-scratch1.jpg  
Old 04-27-06, 03:18 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Here's another one
Attached Thumbnails Broken Window!!!-scratch2.jpg  
Old 04-27-06, 03:19 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

And the last one.
Attached Thumbnails Broken Window!!!-scratch3.jpg  
Old 04-27-06, 03:21 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The window lining does not look cut or torn, so it may be an adhesive/installation issue. Definately get it checked by the dealership...
Old 04-27-06, 05:56 PM
maz
Lead Lap

See if there was a surveillance camera at where your car was parked and see how the window fell out. If it fell out by itself, show it to the dealer.
Old 04-27-06, 06:01 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by maz
See if there was a surveillance camera at where your car was parked and see how the window fell out. If it fell out by itself, show it to the dealer.
No, there wasn't a camera back there. Wish there was though.
Old 04-27-06, 06:30 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
The window lining does not look cut or torn, so it may be an adhesive/installation issue.
And you can conclude that from few those photos of virtually the same window frame location? Wow, impressive.

Any chance the tinter f****ed up the seal during install?!? Maybe they need to take responsibility, not Lexus.

Last edited by TimboIS; 04-27-06 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-27-06, 07:29 PM
loftus112
Pole Position

Take pics of where the broken glass lies and not just mainly the the body scratch.
Old 04-27-06, 07:58 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by loftus112
Take pics of where the broken glass lies and not just mainly the the body scratch.
Well, I cleaned up all of the broken glass because I didn't want it flying around the car when I was driving home from work. So that picture isn't going to happen. There was a little bit of glass on the back seat and a couple little pieces on the floor inside the car. That big chunk with the tint was about 14" away from the car and there was shattered glass around that and all over the ground outside. It looks like it blew out.
Old 04-27-06, 08:25 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

You guys that continue to believe the window blew out are just kidding yourselves (too much X files, not enough CSI. Hypothetically, suppose the pressure did increase from the heat AND suppose the car was 100% air-tight (which it isn't). The pressure would have gradually built up until it weakened the seal, causing the air to slowly leak. The only way you could possibly blow out a window would be to have an massive instantaneous build up of air pressure under huge PSI. That just ain't going to happen inside the car, at least not without some combustible material.
Old 04-27-06, 08:42 PM
ptmIS350
Rookie

As a scientist I can tell you that it is possible that the glass tolerance was too tight in the frame and during the expansion from the hotter day, cracked from the pressure. Glass expands at nearly twice the rate of steel due to tighter molecular composition. What this means is that the glass expanded further than the steel causing it to flex, then shatter.....CSI THAT!
Old 04-27-06, 08:48 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by duckduck
It's very possible that the glass could have shattered by itself. Has anyone ever cooked with hot glass before? You never drain hot liquid out of a glass container and then immediately fill the glass container with ice cold liquid. Doing so may cause cracks in the glass. While it's not that hot in a car, depending on the glass quality, the glass can crack/shatter. Seeing how windows are mass produced and the small rear window isn't the most important window, the glass quality doesn't have to be the best (or even mediocre). That and how I hear there are complaints about the windshield being weak...and weak paint....and easily scratchable wood panels...

Face it, Lexus doesn't use the best quality materials ever...
Yep, I hate to admit it, but I did exactly what you described one time when I was attempting to cook.

Sorry to hear about your mishap, Payam. I just hope you can get it fixed under warranty.

Quick Reply: Broken Window!!!