IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Broken Window!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-06, 01:08 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Window!!!

So I was sitting at work today when I hear my alarm go off. I run outside to go check on it, it takes me about 5 sec to get outside. I look at my car and I see the little window towards the back of the car (the little one behind the rear window) laying on the floor. Then I look up to see if I can see anyone, nothing. My parking lot is all closed in except for one side and it is all open. I look and don't see anyone at all down the street. So i've come to the conclusion that unless the invisible man broke the window, it wasn't done by a person. And to add insult to injury, when the glass fell out, it made a couple scratches down the side of the car. It was about 90 degrees today. You think the heat could of blow it out? I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow, it was sounding like they didn't want to do a warranty claim on it.....
Old 04-27-06, 01:17 PM
T-Rex06
Ho Motorsports

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

That truly sucks Hope all goes well with the claim at the dealer.
Old 04-27-06, 01:19 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the window did not break "in" but rather fell "out", it seems that someone did not try to break the window. The glass would have fallen into the car if that was the case.

Get the lining of the window checked. Perhaps there was something wrong with the installation of the glass. Perhaps the lining did not adhere to the body of the car correctly.
Old 04-27-06, 01:23 PM
loftus112
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Payam
So I was sitting at work today when I hear my alarm go off. I run outside to go check on it, it takes me about 5 sec to get outside. I look at my car and I see the little window towards the back of the car (the little one behind the rear window) laying on the floor. Then I look up to see if I can see anyone, nothing. My parking lot is all closed in except for one side and it is all open. I look and don't see anyone at all down the street. So i've come to the conclusion that unless the invisible man broke the window, it wasn't done by a person. And to add insult to injury, when the glass fell out, it made a couple scratches down the side of the car. It was about 90 degrees today. You think the heat could of blow it out? I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow, it was sounding like they didn't want to do a warranty claim on it.....
What do you mean your glass fell out? Plz be more specific. Did the whole 1 piece just popped off or it was shattered off by something. Any signs of cracks, holes, and/or marks of any kind? At any rate, sorry to hear though but if the whole one piece just fell out than, its a warranty issue. Very odd I might add if you went out within 5 secs and saw no one.
Old 04-27-06, 01:30 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

id hate to say this but even if it fell out i would be hard to prove to the dealership that it happened, i really dunno how i would explain something like that to them
Old 04-27-06, 01:36 PM
SportyStar
Driver

Originally Posted by Payam
when the glass fell out, it made a couple scratches down the side of the car. It was about 90 degrees today. You think the heat could of blow it out? I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow, it was sounding like they didn't want to do a warranty claim on it.....
Sorry to hear that. Something similar happened to my co-worker's SUV window a few years ago. Incidentally, it was a particularly HOT day. The rear quarter window apparently shattered by itself. (Since we work where we can see our cars through the front building windows, we know a person didn't do it). It was pretty bizarre to see something like that happen. Good luck getting your window fixed!
Old 04-27-06, 01:42 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Yes, let's blame Lexus. Seriously, I doubt the car is that air-tight that it would blow out a window, it would take a fair amount of pressure. Face it, there are bad people out there.
Old 04-27-06, 01:44 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A person bad enough to find his way inside the car, break the window from the inside out, and then jump back out of the car? I don't think so...
Old 04-27-06, 01:46 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

How is the window installed? If its just glued on, maybe the glue melted from the hot weather?
Old 04-27-06, 01:57 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by knihc2008
A person bad enough to find his way inside the car, break the window from the inside out, and then jump back out of the car? I don't think so...
Nice theory...not! They most likely used a knife or something to pry out the window?
Old 04-27-06, 02:42 PM
SportyStar
Driver

Originally Posted by loftus112
What do you mean your glass fell out? Plz be more specific. Did the whole 1 piece just popped off or it was shattered off by something. Any signs of cracks, holes, and/or marks of any kind? At any rate, sorry to hear though but if the whole one piece just fell out than, its a warranty issue. Very odd I might add if you went out within 5 secs and saw no one.
I'm also curious to know whether Payam's glass pieces (I assume the glass shattered and didn't just fall out in one piece) all fell to the outside, with nothing falling to the inside of the car. A google search brings up a similar rear window shattering issue in MINI Coopers in the UK.

It is a recognised problem now and a service bulletin has been issued. The problem is a 'thermal issue with 'some' glass where by inner and outer temperatures can cause 'some' glasses to shatter unexpectedly. This was issued around the second week of February, so tell you dealer to look a bit harder

http://www.mini2.com/forum/mini-conv...e-fault-6.html

Not to say this is what happened in Payam's case, but it's an interesting phenomenon.
Old 04-27-06, 02:42 PM
jcreech
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pictures Now!
Old 04-27-06, 02:46 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

The window was shattered (spider-webbed) but it was all held together with the tint. You can see how it fell out of the frame and slid down the side of the car by the scratches on the side of the car. There is no way it could have been a person, I work in one of the richest neighborhoods in South Tampa and there is nothing around my lot other than houses and condos and I know all of my neighbors, no one was home. And the view I have out there, there is no way someone could have run or "hid" by the time I got out there.
Old 04-27-06, 02:59 PM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Someone has tried to pop that window only the tint film has held the pieces together. Then they've tried to pry the glass out. Glass won't just pop out by itself. It's very common to attack that particular pane of glass as it makes less noise when breaking.
Old 04-27-06, 03:03 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

could you please take some pictures?

Quick Reply: Broken Window!!!