100 Octane

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-06, 03:45 AM
DaSweetgrl
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by josephdoc
Sigh~~~~
I wish Sunoco is around in Northern California. I know they were everywhere in Canada (not sure about the 100 Oct) back in the days when I was in high school in Ontario.

I missing Sunoco!!!
dont feel bad.. Sunoco $100 cost about $5 or $6 a gallon I would run a 50/50 mix of 93 and 100 because I dont think the car will benefit from staright 100

Lorna
Old 04-30-06, 05:47 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Southern CA have couple places that sells 100.

I think the one I went to was in Lakeforest 76 gas station.
Old 05-01-06, 04:01 PM
dong888
Pole Position

Unless you have a race car, or a modified car which require/opt for higher octane gas, it is just waste of money.
Old 05-01-06, 05:42 PM
DaSweetgrl
Rookie

I dont know if I agree with that. Anyone knows that higher combustion chamber temperatures together with advanced ignition timing can cause ping and rob you of power. I dont know for sure but I think most new cars operate somewhere around 210 to 220 degrees F. The PCM is continually advancing and retarding ignition timing to avoid a possible detonation or "ping" One other think you have to realize is that there is such a thing as "false" knock... The higher octane gas you use, the less likely the PCM is to retard spark due to false knock and or detonation. On a real hot azz day or week.. I would try a 50/50 mix of 93 and 100. I bet it will run like a champion

Lorna

P.S. I sused to own a Camaro SS... I know how the modern power game works
Old 05-01-06, 10:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by DaSweetgrl
I dont know if I agree with that. Anyone knows that higher combustion chamber temperatures together with advanced ignition timing can cause ping and rob you of power. I dont know for sure but I think most new cars operate somewhere around 210 to 220 degrees F. The PCM is continually advancing and retarding ignition timing to avoid a possible detonation or "ping" One other think you have to realize is that there is such a thing as "false" knock... The higher octane gas you use, the less likely the PCM is to retard spark due to false knock and or detonation. On a real hot azz day or week.. I would try a 50/50 mix of 93 and 100. I bet it will run like a champion

Lorna

that's not true. yes the car is in high compression and yes you need high grade octane, but that doesn't mean it will take whatever it gives and have unlimited potential. the timing and such can only go so much as specified in factory. putting 93 i can imagine given some impurities and such. but much higher than that i dont' think you will gain anything.

someone in sc430 forum already tried putting 100 in their cars, result was no gain at all
Old 05-01-06, 10:27 PM
DaSweetgrl
Rookie

Originally Posted by rominl
that's not true. yes the car is in high compression and yes you need high grade octane, but that doesn't mean it will take whatever it gives and have unlimited potential. the timing and such can only go so much as specified in factory. putting 93 i can imagine given some impurities and such. but much higher than that i dont' think you will gain anything.

someone in sc430 forum already tried putting 100 in their cars, result was no gain at all
What I said is true. I never said that ignition timing is unlimited. I said that the PCM continually retards and advances ignition timing based on engine condistions. With that said, if your running higher octane gas, you will minimize the possibilty of detonation, which will cause the PCM to retard the timing.

If a car has been programmed to run on 91 then a full tank of 100 octane probably wont see you any gains.. but I have heard that a 50/50 mixture of 93 and 100 cotane gas will give you about 97 Octane AND it will be cheaper. I believe that 50/50 also gave the most power.

Lorna
Old 05-01-06, 10:33 PM
stangd1909
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
high octane doesnt seem to help N/A much over factory recommendations, however F/I is a different story
Your right it doesn't really amount to anything on these cars. Plus 100 oct runs $6 a gallon here......well that untill prices go up again.
Old 05-01-06, 10:40 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by josephdoc
Sigh~~~~
I wish Sunoco is around in Northern California. I know they were everywhere in Canada (not sure about the 100 Oct) back in the days when I was in high school in Ontario.

I missing Sunoco!!!
They offer Sunoco racing fuels at the local race track venues here in CA. CA Speedway out here in Fontana is one of them. Unocal 76 used to reign supreme for racing fuels out in our parts.
Old 05-01-06, 11:09 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Very nice previous ride. I hate the fact GM didn't continue the legacy. Comparing the LS1 V8 is not really a fair comparison. The LS1 is prehistoric compared to the 2GR-FSE V6 in the New IS. The way Toyota & Lexus engineer these motors are amazing. They maximize the most out of an engine in terms of both power and they are able to acheive amazing fuel economy as it is. That's a tough feat to accomplish by any means. Toyota's ECU programming is done with very tight parameters which is why most all aftermarket Toyota tuners opt to swap out the factory ECU for a standalone. Other than Toyota and TRD, no one has successfully broken the Toyota programming for their ECUs. Toyota has done a great job to maximize power output using just 91 octane fuel which is California's standard octane for Premium (previously it was 92 a few years ago and a handful of places 93...thanks to CARB, it's down to 91).

If a car has been programmed to run on 91 then a full tank of 100 octane probably wont see you any gains.. but I have heard that a 50/50 mixture of 93 and 100 cotane gas will give you about 97 Octane AND it will be cheaper. I believe that 50/50 also gave the most power.
Rominl is right though. Power gains are negligible on modern Toyota/Lexus engines the higher octane you go. Lexus' are designed to run at their optimal output with 91 octane fuel. Regardless of how hot it is, upping the octane does help with detonation, but that's only a band-aid for heat which doesn't really help to yield power. As we all know, heat kills HP by any means.

Here are some interesting articles on the 2GR-FSE's cutting edge advances...

http://www.turbomagazine.com/features/0511tur_lexus/
https://shop.sae.org/automag/techbri...1-114-1-17.pdf
https://www.clublexus.com/index.php/...iew/7492/1/10/

Last edited by flipside909; 05-01-06 at 11:13 PM.
Old 05-03-06, 12:02 AM
DaSweetgrl
Rookie

flipside909 :

Hi ! That was a truly elegant reply. But I see I need to school you on a few things.

First and foremost, yes, the Lexus engine is nice and it has alot of technical advances and such... But I am sure you have heard the old saying: There is NO REPLACEMENT for displacement! WORD IS BORN!

Now, you mentioned the LS1... the LS1 is old news. Lets talk about the LS2 in the GTO. I was going to buy the GTO but I like the Looks of the IS 350 much better. Thats the main reason why I didnt go American this time, I didnt like what GM had to offer.

But going back to what I was saying, The LS2 is a small block 400cid.. 6 liter engine I believe? It gets 25 miles to the gallon on the highway... the Lexus gets 28... a measly 3 more miles to the gallon than this big o'l V8.

Well, the LS2 is just baby bro... there is a monster out there which currently resides in the Z06 Corvette.. the LS7... dont even try to compare your Lexus motor to the LS7... That engine makes 515 hp... a 7.0 liter V8... and it actually gets 26 miles to the gallon on the highway... One thing GM has done right is their engines.

The Lexus engine (IS 350) really doesnt get that much better gas mileage than either the LS2 or the LS7 when you consider how much more horsepoer those engines make.

Look at the 2006 Impala SS for example... That car has a 5.0 liter LS4 engine making 303 hp..., and it gets 31 miles to the gallon on the highway... what do you have to say about that?? It has a bigger engine and it gets better gas mileage... but its BUTT-FUGLY

Are these engines better than the Lexus engine? I dont know the answer to that... but it looks like they may be more efficient than the Lexus motor. The Lexus motor may have more technological terror but then again, "the more you overtake the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain ..."

Disclaimer: I love the IS 350, its a beautiful car. I didnt go with GM this time because they have repeatedly made me mad over little things like warranty issues, quality control, and lack of vision in their recent designs. Change is a good thing! But I dont think the Lexus cars will sound as good with a set of Flowmster 40's as will the late great Camaro SS Rock on!

Lorna

Last edited by DaSweetgrl; 05-03-06 at 12:15 AM.
Old 05-03-06, 01:34 AM
RCFormante
Supercharged!

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

There is replacement for displacement and that is called forced induction.
Old 05-03-06, 05:58 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350S
There is replacement for displacement and that is called forced induction.
Not entirely. An engine with more cubic inches with forced induction will generally put out more power than a smaller cube engine with forced induction, all other things being equal. Neglecting power output for a moment, the bigger engine will also stress itself a lot less, adding to its longevity. Not only that, but pump gas in combination with a decent level of boost usually yields 'better' hp numbers, whereas on a smaller displacement engine its more critical to run higher higher octane fuels to balance the amount of boost you're adding for a given hp level...then you deal with lag (bigger turbo), increased heat (smaller turbo), and more dedicated upgrades to your fuel system (more boost). Displacement is key, check out lingenfelter vettes, or hennessey vipers for example...the power gets to levels where it becomes useless for street applications, but dialing back the power some still produces a great amount of useable power in a range of 6-700hp quite easily..

And the 427 LS7 engine is a beautiful piece of engineering/art...
Old 05-03-06, 06:10 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I like the way DaSweetgrl talks.....

and I'd like to try the 100 Octane on one of the new direct injection Lexus engines and see what happens. However her explanation was incorrect. The higher the octane the higher the burn temperature. The lower octane will ignite at a lower temperature and cause pinging, preignition or predetonation. The new Lexus engines are more sensitive to octane changes and can be damaged by low octane fuel so depending on the ECM to adjust the timing isn't enough anymore. The big brother to the IS350 engine will come out in the fall in a 4.6 V8 rated at 380 HP and should average 25 MPG. I had a 64 Goat when I was in high school that was a 389 tripower but it wasn't much faster than the IS350. Once you make the power in the engine bay you have to get it to the ground and that's why the elapsed time wins. You'll forget all about big engine blocks once you drive a hybrid high performance gas/electric. Talk about torque...
The GS450h has the same V6 as the IS350 but adds two powerful permanent magnet electric motors and then out performs the 550i, E500, and the M45 yet gets 8 MPG better. The quickest mod you can do to a hybrid is change the battery for more output. Does GM have anything like that yet??????They should soon or they will end up a boutique manufacturer as plant after plant is closed down. They just sold their cash cow GMAC to raise capital. The SUV/truck strategy has hit a dead end and just making everything bigger is not working anymore...

Rock
Old 05-03-06, 09:22 AM
DaSweetgrl
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rockville
and I'd like to try the 100 Octane on one of the new direct injection Lexus engines and see what happens. However her explanation was incorrect. The higher the octane the higher the burn temperature. The lower octane will ignite at a lower temperature and cause pinging, preignition or predetonation. The new Lexus engines are more sensitive to octane changes and can be damaged by low octane fuel so depending on the ECM to adjust the timing isn't enough anymore. The big brother to the IS350 engine will come out in the fall in a 4.6 V8 rated at 380 HP and should average 25 MPG. I had a 64 Goat when I was in high school that was a 389 tripower but it wasn't much faster than the IS350. Once you make the power in the engine bay you have to get it to the ground and that's why the elapsed time wins. You'll forget all about big engine blocks once you drive a hybrid high performance gas/electric. Talk about torque...
The GS450h has the same V6 as the IS350 but adds two powerful permanent magnet electric motors and then out performs the 550i, E500, and the M45 yet gets 8 MPG better. The quickest mod you can do to a hybrid is change the battery for more output. Does GM have anything like that yet??????They should soon or they will end up a boutique manufacturer as plant after plant is closed down. They just sold their cash cow GMAC to raise capital. The SUV/truck strategy has hit a dead end and just making everything bigger is not working anymore...

Rock
I have heard that GM did not buy in to the hybrid patent when it was developed by either Toyota or Honda. I bet it will be hella expensive to buy in now

Thank you for the compliment

Sweetgirl
Old 10-11-12, 07:26 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

BACK FROM THE DEAD!

Looking for more real world experience as I continue down the path of Meth injection on the NA motor!