IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Exhausts / Mufflers loose?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-06, 01:13 AM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhausts / Mufflers loose?

My friend was following me on the freeway the other day and said that my two exhaust tips were bouncing up and down like crazy... looked like they were loose. Even on regular streets when I hit some bumps they said it was moving a lot.

I tried moving the exhust tips by hand and they do seem to be a bit loose and move quite a bit. I notice theres nothing holding up the exhaust besides some rubber things...

Is that normal? Should it be loose and bounce around? I want to get some sort of feedback before taking it into the dealer or going to the dealer to check on other IS's exhaust.
Old 04-29-06, 04:57 AM
accelerate
Lead Lap

Most cars have what it called a floating exhaust. They have rubber mounts to cut down on vibration in the cabin and when the engine moves on acceleration then don't twist.
Old 04-29-06, 07:55 AM
C280to250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
My friend was following me on the freeway the other day and said that my two exhaust tips were bouncing up and down like crazy... looked like they were loose. Even on regular streets when I hit some bumps they said it was moving a lot.

I tried moving the exhust tips by hand and they do seem to be a bit loose and move quite a bit. I notice theres nothing holding up the exhaust besides some rubber things...

Is that normal? Should it be loose and bounce around? I want to get some sort of feedback before taking it into the dealer or going to the dealer to check on other IS's exhaust.
I travel 605,91to110 to go to work everyday so i see a few IS rolling everyday, i can personally tell you that i have seen IS350 muffler do that in the freeway but not on 250.
Maybe it is a problem that should be corrected it does not look right at all.

goodluck
Old 04-29-06, 09:46 AM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Ya I'm trying to see if its right or not. I havent really seen another IS on the road moving to really tell... Only other option is to goto the dealer and wiggle their exhaust. heheh

I've noticed on other BMWs on some 525 and 530s I've seen them bounce around like that too but also seen some that DONT! I rather it NOT bounce around. I dont mind the little vibration, it looks like its falling off when it bounces. Hope they can tighten it. but hard to tighten rubber it seems.
Old 04-29-06, 06:23 PM
keeeeez
Pole Position

I've seen the muffler jiggling real bad on a new IS the first time I saw one. I thought it was odd at the time, but forgot about it. I wonder if ours does that. Can someone follow me around for a day and let me know. I'll be somewhere in San Diego, with my new Volks
Old 04-29-06, 06:32 PM
jinetix
Pole Position

I posted the same thread a week ago.. and everyone replied that it's normal on our cars. My exhausts shake like crazy. At first I thought it was because I had the sport package suspension, but I noticed all the IS350s I see on the street have the same problem.
Old 04-29-06, 06:38 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Man... it makes it look cheap to have the exhaust jiggling around like that. Looks like its going to fall off! I'm going to see if they can "tighten" it according to the salesman... Which I doubt now since you guys are saying its "normal" and its being held by rubber and you cant tighten rubber...
Old 04-30-06, 12:11 AM
sbasinger
Rookie

I took my car to the dealership specifically because of excessive exhasut shake. I was told it was completely normal and that there was no problem.
Old 04-30-06, 12:13 AM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sbasinger
I took my car to the dealership specifically because of excessive exhasut shake. I was told it was completely normal and that there was no problem.

Booo so my salesman just told me that it can be adjusted just so he can get me off the phone and keep me happy for the day huh? BLAH!
Old 04-30-06, 06:57 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

id rather have the exhaust vibrate rather than having that vibration go in the car frame or whatever
Old 04-30-06, 07:07 AM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
Booo so my salesman just told me that it can be adjusted just so he can get me off the phone and keep me happy for the day huh? BLAH!
the salesman would most likely not have any idea if it could be adjusted or not. call the service manager and ask him.
Old 02-12-08, 01:16 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bumping this thread up. Saw an IS350 with Tanabe exhaust on Hwy the other night, and it was bouncing over every bump!

I know this thread was started a while ago..has anyone fixed this problem since??? Only asking because I plan on getting a Tanabe Soon
Old 02-20-08, 09:20 AM
orions
Driver School Candidate

is there anything we can do to tight more the exhaust, since is hanging all loose as OEM. I dont like to see the exhaust bouncing every time I take a bump.

Opinions plse.

OE
Old 02-20-08, 09:34 AM
10982nv
Rookie

HAHAHA Whats the odds. I was driving behind my wife yesterday and saw this and was like WTF!
Old 02-20-08, 12:49 PM
jimmyjazz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dominant1
I Bet If You Created A Pliable But Firm Urethane Mount It Would Solve The Problem. Hard Urethane Would Transfer Vibration.
you can buy them from WRX internet store's. Just search for polyurethane exhaust mounts.

Quick Reply: Exhausts / Mufflers loose?