IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

The future of the IS

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-06, 09:50 AM
Cabby
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The future of the IS

I feel like they may phase out the IS250 soon since the low HP is going to quickly price it itself out. Is there word on whether they may go to an IS300 and IS430 lineup?
Old 04-30-06, 10:00 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

There have been rumors of an additional model, an IS500 Coupe, to join the IS250 and IS350 sedans in the lineup and compete against the BMW M3/Mercedes AMG lines.

Given the world price of gas, I doubt they'd up the displacement of the IS250.
Old 04-30-06, 10:19 AM
Cabby
Driver School Candidate

Honestly if gas prices are a deciding factor in your purchase of a car, you are out of your budget range anyway.

200HP for $30k+ will seem excessive in short order is my fear. I dont want to get stuck with a very expensive low HP car.
Old 04-30-06, 11:23 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cabby
I feel like they may phase out the IS250 soon since the low HP is going to quickly price it itself out. Is there word on whether they may go to an IS300 and IS430 lineup?

They are hardly likely to phase out the IS250 when that and the IS220d are the only two models they sell in some markets - and while they are commited to selling the 250 in these markets they will always offer it in the US.
Old 04-30-06, 11:53 AM
Style2k6
Pole Position

I'm looking at the is250 awd as our next car. I must look at cars totally differently then most on this forum. Though having alot of HP is nice it is not the deciding factor for me when purchasing a car of this caliber. It has to look nice and have all the features I want andbe dependable. The speed on most the road here are between 35 and 45 and 65 and 75 on the highways. I press the gas pedal and the car goes to the speed I desire with plenty of pedal left, the speedo says 160mph but I have no desire to test that number. If Hp is a big seller for you then maybe you have answered your own question and also if you have a concern of the 250 going away then again you have answered your own question. Also I have seen on a few threads the statement "If you are concerned about gas prices maybe a different car should be considered"
or something to that effect. Even if you can afford the car and the gas if the cost of gas keeps going up it's still going to have some type of effect on the numbers in your bank accounts. I may get flamed for this post but that's what forums are all about getting answers giving answers and voicing opinions.

Last edited by Style2k6; 04-30-06 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-30-06, 12:07 PM
kenne74
Rookie

I think wether people want to admit it or not gas prices do factor in regardless of how much money you have. Hell i own a hybrid and i'm constantly complaining about gas prices, ya i might be able to afford a 50K car but it still hurts when i goto the pump. But i also love the extra torque........
Old 04-30-06, 12:12 PM
LexAppeal
Rookie

If people feel the 250 has too little hp, then why not just get the 350? It's not like they are only giving you the choice of the 250.

I can afford this car. Does it mean I won't care about gas prices? Yeah I do care, it's not a big problem or factor but a still something that concerns me at the rate it's going up. Does that mean I shouldn't buy this car?
Old 04-30-06, 05:01 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default The 250 and 350 will stay, for now...

Is there word on whether they may go to an IS300 and IS430 lineup?
As for now, Lexus will not discontinue the 250, 220d, or 350. There is no word on adding the 300 or 430 engine as those engines are now "outdated."

If Lexus does decide to add anything to the IS lineup, it would be new model bodies such as the coupe and convertible. As for the engines, a V8 is possible, which will be the 460. The rumored 500 is actually a V10. Also, we may see a hybrid IS if the GS450h sells well.

We must take into consideration that the rumored LF-A or GT or third gen SC will have the 500 V10 engine. If Lexus creates this car with the 500 engine for $100k, it doubt it will sell well if they have the IS with the same engine for (a guesstimate) $60k.

My predictions: the 250 will stay for a couple of years and will probably be discontinued when the IS has three alternative engine choices: a V6 (350), a V8 (460), and a hybrid (450h). The 5.0L V10 engine (along with its performance specs) will be exclusive to the LF-A. The LF-A will most likely be the third gen SC500 (the third gen SC will be dramatically and significantly different from the second gen SC, as it was with the first gen SC).
Old 04-30-06, 05:39 PM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought the IS250 was going to become the IS300 <245hp v6> when the GS300 becomes the 350 later on <next year?>
Old 04-30-06, 05:53 PM
Turkoman
Pole Position

200HP for $30k+ will seem excessive in short order is my fear. I dont want to get stuck with a very expensive low HP car.
Doesn't seem to cut into the BMW 325 though does it? It is their best selling 3 series, which as a whole outsells the IS by more than 2X most months. They also retain their value better than any other sport sedan to date. Also take a look at the "low HP" Audi A4 2.0 T. It is also outsells most of the Audi lineup and has very good resale value. Obviously many aren't as concerned as you or the thread starter about buying a "low" HP car.

Also, you do know that the 250 always outsells the 350 right? Do you know that a used 350 will retain its value better than a used 250? I bet in 3 years, you would have an easier time selling a 250 over a 350.
Old 04-30-06, 05:59 PM
Turkoman
Pole Position

Oh, and those who complain about gas prices should think about how much we are paying for gas compared to the rest of the world. At $4/gallon, it would still be dirt cheap. The only reason everyone is up in arms is because we were always used to artificially low gas prices for years IMHO.
Old 04-30-06, 07:13 PM
paeko73
Pole Position

I bet in 3 years, you would have an easier time selling a 250 over a 350.[/QUOTE]

I concur! With this rate of gasoline prices rising, people will start paddling away from larger engines. Here in Hawaii, the 350's are plentiful, but not on the streets... on dealer's lot waiting for buyers!!!
Old 05-01-06, 05:28 AM
Cabby
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Turkoman
Doesn't seem to cut into the BMW 325 though does it? It is their best selling 3 series, which as a whole outsells the IS by more than 2X most months. They also retain their value better than any other sport sedan to date. Also take a look at the "low HP" Audi A4 2.0 T. It is also outsells most of the Audi lineup and has very good resale value. Obviously many aren't as concerned as you or the thread starter about buying a "low" HP car.

Also, you do know that the 250 always outsells the 350 right? Do you know that a used 350 will retain its value better than a used 250? I bet in 3 years, you would have an easier time selling a 250 over a 350.
That's an excellent point!
Old 05-01-06, 05:36 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

some people dont need the speed and power, the lower engine trims on BMWs outsell the higher engine trims mutiple times. If people wnated the power they can get a 350, 4-5k more for 100 factory N/A power and bigger brakes is a huge bargain, makes the 325 to 330 price/benefit look like junk. Which is why the 350 is selling better than expected
Old 05-01-06, 06:33 AM
Cabby
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
some people dont need the speed and power, the lower engine trims on BMWs outsell the higher engine trims mutiple times. If people wnated the power they can get a 350, 4-5k more for 100 factory N/A power and bigger brakes is a huge bargain, makes the 325 to 330 price/benefit look like junk. Which is why the 350 is selling better than expected
Perhaps I should explain myself so you know where I'm coming from...

First and foremost, gas prices have nothing to do with my decision, not sure how we started down that road.

We currently have a Range Rover and a Jetta, and everyone's best friend, the 3rd car junker that does all the dirty work. I love cars, I've had lots of them. When I got my M3 back in 2002, I started http://eastcoastbmw.net I still run it. With marriage, kids, house, etc... priorties changed. I sold my G35, my M3, and my wifes 330cic. We bought the Range Rover for her and the baby, and the Jetta for me as I commute all over the place, sometimes to less than desirable neighborhoods. I like the Jetta, but dont really care if it gets hit in DC (and it does).

With a baby, we need to swap my manual for an automatic so we can exchange cars when I need an SUV. I went up to the VW dealer, as much as I hate the look of the new Jettas, but wanted something with navigation. A Jetta with NAV is almost $32k!!! Well hell, for that guess what I can get.... an IS250 for a couple grand more.

Which leads me to the original question... the IS250 has a wonderful look and feel, I'm a huge Lexus fan and we have a great dealer right next to the Range Rover dealer. But, as all Lexus cars, underpowered, overpriced. I dont want to get stuck with a 200HP car that I cant get rid of one day. I cant imagine they will keep that engine around much longer when I can get a Hyundai with more horsepower and 1/2 the price.

Quick Reply: The future of the IS