IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Which one
IS 250
88.10%
C 230 Benz
11.90%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

MB C230 or Lexus IS250 (now I'm not so sure)

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-06, 07:16 AM
dozier08
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by digital_b
you asked this question on mbworld.
Yep, I want all sides opinions. I even posted this question at the WorldWildlifeFund.org message board. They suggested Jaguar.
Old 05-01-06, 07:58 AM
C280to250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dozier08
My local Benz dealer has a Black on Black C230 coming in a few weeks and I have a small deposit on it. I like the ones I have test driven and love the look. I chose the MB over the BMW because the comfort was better for me and I don't like the new design.
2000-up MB unless ofcourse you dont mind the hassle of taking it back to dealer all the time to have it fix.
I'm not putting MB down its just the realibility isn't there anymore

If you are considering the w204 i guess you already know to stay away from the first production.

IS250 and C230 suspension is so different. with that said that's the only thing i miss on my car!

goodluck on your choice
Old 05-01-06, 01:42 PM
dong888
Pole Position

IMHO, if it is status you are looking for, get MB. For overall value, get Lexus.
Old 05-01-06, 02:14 PM
IS-250
Rookie

I really do not know how much status there really is in owning a C-Class. My father had a C-Class ( I think it was a 320) for about 2 years and hated everthing about it. He recently, about 6 months ago got a CLK350 and likes it but is not too impressed with its reliability. I have to admit, I drove the 350 for about 1 week and when i took it in for service, they were amazing in every aspect. However, I use to have a Jaguar S-Type when they first came out (year 2000) and I have never had so many compliments as I have had with that car, that is however until I got the IS250. The C-Class looks like a $30k car, maybe even less, but I had a couple guys at the office who are considering a 5-series, M (Infinity), or a S-type all look at Lexus after they saw my IS. Even the president of the company who wanted to get a 5-Series for his son is seriously considering getting a IS-350 or a GS. There is just something abou the Lexus when you look at it that makes it look like a solid car in and out as well as extremely luxurious. I am not putting down Mercedes but whenever I see a C-Class, I immediately think of a car that I would never get. But each person has their own personal taste I guess, congrats on the car. Enjoy!
Old 05-01-06, 02:45 PM
dozier08
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IS-250
The C-Class looks like a $30k car, maybe even less
Over the last few days of asking about the advantages of both the C230 and IS250 I have had a lot of good points.

However if I had a nickle for everytime someone told me that the C class is a cheap Benz or the IS is an expensive Toyota, I would have at least 65 cents. A very uncreative 65 cents.

Both cars are very good in their own respect.

Last edited by dozier08; 05-01-06 at 02:52 PM.
Old 05-01-06, 03:15 PM
IS-250
Rookie

That's true but I have never in my life heard anyone that I know calling the IS an expensive Toyota. That may be true of the old ES maybe, but lexus has really stepped up their game. BTW, I know this is a bit off topic, but has anyone been disappointed by the GS's styling? Myself and a friend of mine went to see the GS and 5-Series and I personally did not like the GS that much. It is almost too understated and not modern enough for my taste, especially for a car that is pushing 60k fully loaded. Anyone else feel this way?
Old 05-01-06, 03:27 PM
dozier08
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IS-250
That's true but I have never in my life heard anyone that I know calling the IS an expensive Toyota.
You would be flabbergasted at what owners of one car will say about a competitors car.

Last edited by dozier08; 05-01-06 at 03:31 PM.
Old 05-01-06, 04:02 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 268 Likes on 238 Posts

You would be flabbergasted.
Actually, it doesn't bother me in the slightest when someone refers to the Lexus as a fancy Toyota.

In my mind, Toyota has succeeded in the market by building vehicles that offer terrific value and bulletproof reliability. But I've always been put off by their "sea of plastic" interiors, and their "BUY IT TODAY!!" high pressure marketing. Lexus corrects those deficiencies with upgraded models with refined interiors made with superb materials, and with a world-class sales and service organization that knows how to treat customers.

Toyota is not a four letter word. In fact it's the combination of Toyota durability and value with Lexus luxury and service that make the IS a great car.

Last edited by Bichon; 05-01-06 at 04:06 PM.
Old 05-01-06, 04:17 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

One of the cars we own is a 2005 S55 AMG, while Consumer Reports also rates this car as poor reliability, it really is not THAT bad. Yes, it does have its minor electrical quirks like the low tire pressure warning coming on even though the tire pressure is perfectly fine on all tires, the park assist screaming for a split second when there is absolutly nothing around the car. There was one time I could not lock the doors and had to turn the car off and back on again, some of the settings like having the side mirrors fold in when the car is turned off will all of a sudden change settings to "off" when it was set on "on" or vice versa... Basically just a bunch of little annoyances. The engine, transmission, suspension and overall build quality however is excellent.

That said however, there are a couple things to keep in mind...

1) This is a 2005 so it has only had 1 year to develop problems.
2) The tranny on this car is the 5 speed which has a proven track record, the same cannot necessarily be said for the 7 speed.
3) One would expect MB's flag ship luxury sedan to be better built than their entry level vehicle.
Old 05-02-06, 11:53 AM
dozier08
Driver School Candidate

After too much consideration between the Mercedes Benz C230 and Lexus IS250, I have made a decision. I considered at least the following subjective factors and many more:

Category (Winner) - Reason
Comfort (Draw) – I had Mercedes in the lead, but those Lexus seats were much better than I would of imagined. Great in both cars.

Drive/Ride (Draw) – Personal preference rules this category. Both good rides, sporty, seemed agile on the test drive. I didn’t get as good of a test drive on the Lexus as on the MB since it was mostly highway.

Engineering (Mercedes) – I prefer German engineering to Japanese. I went to an engineering school and it just makes more sense to me. I like the approach to European design more than I do Asian.

Exterior (Mercedes) – The body style looks classier. New body style in 07 doesn’t mean better body style. See BMW 3 series. I don’t like a car with a big butt; the IS250 trunk is too high for me.

Future Appeal (Lexus) – New body style in the IS250 vs. outgoing body style in the C230.

Interior (Mercedes) – Both are very nice, but the Lexus interior looks the same as in the IS as the old people cars they make. I’m young…I like the flair, the brushed aluminum look. Don’t like wood paneling in a car.

iPod (Mercedes) – This is a big deal for me so it gets its own category. MB has a fully integrated display. Ahead of the curve on something electronic, all cars will need to have this in at least two years.

MPG (Lexus) – Both are good, Lexus is better, and by I am guessing 2 mpg on normal driving conditions? Mileage is much better than my Jeep Wrangler (16 mpg).

Options (Lexus) – You have to upgrade a MB to get standard features on a Lexus.

Price (Mercedes) – My dad is in the business and has a connection at MB, I will get a great deal. Otherwise it would be a Draw.

Reliability (Lexus) – You can run a Lexus in to the ground. You can with a Benz but to do so, it will take you a bit longer because you were held up at the shop.

Safety (Mercedes) – Both cars are as safe as you want in a wreck, I consider that a Draw. However I also factor how safe I can be. Visibility of the road is key to my driving style. I felt a bit cramped in the IS. Personal preference. I know the Lexus has mirrors, but 12 years of driving and I barely use them.

Status (Mercedes) – Mercedes has been losing ground to Lexus over the last 5 years, but Mercedes is the next level. Even in the baby version.

Toys (Lexus) – Hands down. Lexus has awesome electrical toys, ventilated seats, keyless, etc. These are fantastic.

The Overall Winner is Mercedes. I will get a C230. The Lexus gave it a serious run, but when I look at a car two years from now, still making payments, cleaning those wheels for the 200th time, I want to be able look up it and smile. Get in it and smile. The body style of the C class in my mind is beautiful and a look that many manufactures are sadly getting away from.

Both cars are too comparable to compare based on measurable features, its all about feel and preference. I don’t like the blind spot in the Lexus and I felt cramped by the high sides and I am pretty tall.

I like the Lexus IS250, but I love the C230.

Thank you to everyone for all the good input. You made my choice very difficult!
Old 05-02-06, 12:02 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Engineering (Mercedes) – I prefer German engineering to Japanese. I went to an engineering school and it just makes more sense to me. I like the approach to European design more than I do Asian.

[Thank you to everyone for all the good input. You made my choice very difficult!
i think you went to the wrong engineering school! haha jk

Good luck with your choice. you cant go wrong with either! They are both excellent cars. the reason I chose Lexus IS350 over anything was because it is made by TOYOTA! Dont be a stranger to our Lexus forums, and would love to see the pictures of your new MB after.
Old 05-02-06, 12:25 PM
dozier08
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by STIG
i think you went to the wrong engineering school! haha jk

Good luck with your choice. you cant go wrong with either! They are both excellent cars. the reason I chose Lexus IS350 over anything was because it is made by TOYOTA! Dont be a stranger to our Lexus forums, and would love to see the pictures of your new MB after.
I wondered countless times if Georgia Tech was the right school for anything (especially girls - maybe 25% of the student body). And thanks. People on this forum are very nice.
Old 05-02-06, 12:56 PM
rinthiran
Rookie

The Overall Winner is Mercedes. I will get a C230. The Lexus gave it a serious run, but when I look at a car two years from now, still making payments, cleaning those wheels for the 200th time, I want to be able look up it and smile. Get in it and smile. ...
Congrats on making a decision that appeals to your heart and mind. Its extremely important to pick a car that appeals to your senses and your sense of taste.

Engineering (Mercedes) – I prefer German engineering to Japanese. I went to an engineering school and it just makes more sense to me. I like the approach to European design more than I do Asian. ...
Out of curiosity, can you explain this comment? Are you referring to technology/engine/transmission design (and in what respects) or interior/exterior design?

Thanks!
Old 05-02-06, 01:04 PM
IS-250
Rookie

Safety (Mercedes) – Both cars are as safe as you want in a wreck, I consider that a Draw. However I also factor how safe I can be. Visibility of the road is key to my driving style. I felt a bit cramped in the IS. Personal preference. I know the Lexus has mirrors, but 12 years of driving and I barely use them.
The lexus actually scored the highest in its class and beat out every single car in its class in crash test ratings so i would not rate it a draw. You didn't find the mercedes too... i can't even find a word to describe it but when I was driving one, it seemed like i did not have enough room to look around on the road. I also found the rear window to be a bit narrow.
Old 05-02-06, 01:11 PM
dozier08
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rinthiran
Out of curiosity, can you explain this comment? Are you referring to technology/engine/transmission design (and in what respects) or interior/exterior design?

Thanks!
It is my perception at least that the German design is very tight and complex. Germans seem to start at the road and work towards the driver. Japanese seem to start with the driver and make a car for that driver to handle roads.

Its common for German engines to be so tight that you couldn't drop a marble on the top and have it drop to the ground.

BMW and Mercedes interior components are not the easiest to use, however a Lexus would seem more straightforward. If you have ever tried to set the cruise control in a BMW, you know what I am talking about. German's are rough around the edges and expect you to meet them half way on figuring out things. The Japanese seem to meet you 9/10 th's of the way.

What I was getting to in my previous post was that I don't mind meeting them half way...I feel more involved in the process. Does that any make sense?

Quick Reply: MB C230 or Lexus IS250 (now I'm not so sure)