IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Which one
IS 250
88.10%
C 230 Benz
11.90%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

MB C230 or Lexus IS250 (now I'm not so sure)

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-06, 01:24 PM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramon
That seems to imply that as the years go by, it will get worse, however It is the very fact that it's so new that there are many of these problems. As stated previously, this is the first production year of the 2IS and the new V6. I work in the PC field so I like to compare cars to computers... When a brand new operating system becomes available, there are ALWAYS bugs. I think the analogy is a good one. You can be pretty much gauranteed that most of the issues will be resolved with upcoming production cycles.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say. I don't see how that implies it wil get worse... All that says is that the current IS has flaws to think about. I think that we all know that 1st year cars and when new operating systems come out they have problems. Most people complain about rattling here and there. The IS is no different. Do you know if they'll fix it in 2007? No. Look at the G35c. I still hear complaints about it. Did they fix it? I don't know but from what I hear, no. The OP was looking at the flaws in both cars. If he buys a 2006 IS then he has a chance at encountering these problems. I'm not bashing on Lexus for having problems in a 1st year model since it happens to every car. The OP is buying a new car and that's a big investment since he's already taken the step in researching it on forums. As for the major problems with oil and cars stalling I'm sure Lexus will fix it by 2007 but what if the OP gets a 2006 model? Also, Lexus is supposedly known for service. People are complaining about MB service. From MY experience with Lexus, service isn't all that godly as most of you put it. So to people who argue that Lexus's service is far superior to MB... that's false. It depends on your dealership. People should stop using the "it's a first year model, it's bound to have problems" excuse. If someone is going to buy a car then you need to address the current issues, unless he is planning on getting a 2007 IS then he should wait and see if the current problems are fixed or not. Like I have stated before. My car veers slightly to the right, I took it in to get it fixed, wasted a couple hours, got some bs about it being in spec and that it's normal for a "sports" car. 2007 is coming up. I sure hope that something is done about it. Unless the people who ARE NOT veering right have a less "sportier" car than me and not causing them to veer right.

Keep in mind I'm not bashing on Lexus, after all I own one. Someone posted something about deciding between 2 cars. Most replies were simply bashing on MB. How about we stop being so biased and list some of the IS's flaws. Sure this is a Lexus IS forum but that doesn't give us the excuse to think "it's a Lexus forum. What do you expect? Of course we're going to be biased." Yes it will be biased but I think it's a going a little overboard.
Old 05-03-06, 01:57 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"This car is so new and it already has problems"

That is where it seemed to imply its going to get worse. My appoligies if that was not what you ment

I for one am not bashing either vehicle, infact I was the first one in this thread to mention that MB reliability isn't THAT bad, certainly not as bad as Consumer Reports would have you think. I have drivin a C230 Sport, C240, and C280 via loaner cars from my MB dealer so i'm pretty familiar with the dynamics of the C class and I wouldn't put it ahead of my IS... However, I have a 350 and I've never drivin a 250 so I don't know how IT (250) would comapre to the MB. I guess the best advise would be to go test drive both and see which you like better.
Old 05-03-06, 03:43 PM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

Let me make it easier to understand.

My experience = seeing fellow IS members have some serious problems with their cars and personally experiencing some minor problems that gives me doubt about the future reliability of this car.

Your analogy = 1st generation IS will have problems but 2nd generations should resolve that. (For example, when Windows XP first came out and it had bugs SP1 was introduced. Soon after, new Windows installation cds came with SP1 pre-installed).

I'm not talking about problems getting worse with the 2nd generations like your analogy stated. I'm talking about how I'm afraid of seeing more problems with my car due to it being a 1st generation car. I'm not referring to 2nd generations in any matter. If you did mean that I'm expecting more problems with my 1st generation model then you're absolutely correct. I AM expecting some more. My first gen WRX had ZERO problems (problems such as the car veering right, rattling, not so minor things but not major). It exceeded my expectations in terms of buying a car trouble free. Why can't I expect the same with Lexus?

If you want to use PCs to relate to what I AM saying... think of it this way. When Windows XP first came out it had TONS of problems. They had many minor fixes which ultimately led to SP1. Then MORE problems came out and many minor fixes came about. This led to SP2. Now if you own the very first Windows XP cd that was made you will have way more problems than someone who has just bought a Windows XP cd simply because the newer cds have been patched and most problems have been well thought out and fixed. Now my car is similiar to that very first cd ever made. It will have more problems simply because it was first and not all the problems were forseen. In the end I'm still going to have some doubts about this car being trouble free, even if it's a Lexus. Now some of you might jump in and say no car comes trouble free in the 1st generation. Of course. My only complaint is that the dealership can't fix my problems and these rattles are already occurring in a 3-4 month old car and BAD service.
BTW I don't like analogies. They remind me of the SATs.

Last edited by RshaoKh; 05-03-06 at 03:59 PM.
Old 05-03-06, 05:31 PM
LexFather

Poll Time!!

Old 05-03-06, 05:34 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by dozier08
My local Benz dealer has a Black on Black C230 coming in a few weeks and I have a small deposit on it. I like the ones I have test driven and love the look. I chose the MB over the BMW because the comfort was better for me and I don't like the new design.

However now I am wondering if I should of taken a closer look at the Lexus IS250. I feel the reliability of the IS will be slightly better, but would the C230 be considered unreliable? They sound like they have worked out the kinks in the C230 over the years and I like its exterior and interior apperance more.

I have noticed most people C-classes have been fixed under warranty and I could get an extended warranty, so an unreliable car would just mean annoying time at a dealer and not having my car, in most cases.

I want to get a car I can keep for a long time and want to make a good investment. I would apprecaite opinions. Would I be buying problems if I stick with the C230 instead of the IS250?
My review of the C240
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&highlight=240

This is not even close. the IS 250 is superior in EVERY ASPECT over this Benz EXCEPT in the PRESTIGE area.

Old 05-03-06, 05:39 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by RshaoKh
Wow... I didn't think that a Lexus forum like this would be so biased.... Sure Lexus beats MB in service and reliability (in this area probably by a lot) but MB still isn't horid. Now if I saw a MB on the side of the road because it broke down then I'd wonder about that. MB service isn't bad either. I've seen worse. Everyone lists the cons about MB in general but lets compare the C class (the car the OP is deciding on) and the IS. All these complaints about rattles in MB applies to the IS as well. I'm already getting rattle in my IS350 that is only 3-4 months old. This is worse than my WRX which was 3 years old. Also, I'm already reading about people having their engine stall or oil getting into the engine or something. This car is so new and it already has problems. Do I go running around saying Lexus reliability sucks? This is my first Lexus and I'm already having second thoughts because of the rattles, car veering right, and bad service at Longo Lexus. The service technicians washed my car when I told them not to and damaged my clear bra, stained my door panel and when they cleaned it off for me they stained my seats, and scratched my car when they opened the door (fingernail scratch?). Lexus service isn't as godly as everyone makes it. It's great and a lot better than Subaru because the people are nice and they have nice refreshments and entertainment in their waiting rooms. However, even Subaru technicians took better care of my car. Does this make Lexus bad at service? No, it just meants that the technicians at LONGO LEXUS are careless. It could vary with MB service as well. It all depends what dealer you go to. You can call it bad luck or whatever but my parents both have MB and NONE of them have any problems yet. You can call that luck again if it makes you sleep easier at night. Also, all these "problems" you find on MB forums are biased as well. People usually go online to complain about things, not praise them. I'm pretty sure someone who is making $100,000+ a year could care less about going on forums and posting how reliable his car is. Am I saying MB reliability is awesome? No I don't really have proof and certain sources claim that MB has bad reliability but we don't even know if those ratings are relative to anything else. How do you know they don't mean that MB reliability is bad vs Lexus or if it's just plain bad? I know many people who own MBs and I haven't heard any of them complain about having their car in the shop every week or month.

IMO MB has better interior and exterior styling. I'm not sure about the leather since the S class's leather was soft and the CLK was hard (sporty?). I like how the IS's leather is very soft so my IS wins the comfort area. Handling? I'm not sure about the C class but the feel in an IS isn't that great if you're into that kind of stuff. Obviously a Lexus would have a higher resell value but a MB is really for prestige like everyone has pointed out.
Not biased, you need to wake up. Benz quality is HORRENDOUS. Not just in AMERICA, but in EUROPE and every country. Its not even a seceret anymore. I'll post links later 2night. Dealer service is horrendous. I am a member on MB world, read anywhere for 5 minutes, people from 30k C classes to 150k S-classes have unreliable cars and God-awful service. That is the NORM. Of course there are those with good experiences, that is the EXCEPTION.

With LEXUS, its the other way around.

We are comparing a brand new car to a car that has IMO, aged well, but is outclassed by the newer car.

IMO both cars look good. As I stated, the C has more prestige. Otherwise, its not a very good car for the money.

And if you have read ANY REVIEW IN ANY MAGAZINE the past 8 years, you will notice.

Lexus beats Mercedes in EVERY COMPARISON in EVERY MAGAZINE.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Benzes, IMO, the best looking brand today. AMG is simply incredible. Prestige Lexus might never gain.

But people need to stop hanging on to the old ideology they are just "superior".

No longer.

Old 05-03-06, 05:42 PM
LexFather

After too much consideration between the Mercedes Benz C230 and Lexus IS250, I have made a decision. I considered at least the following subjective factors and many more:

Category (Winner) - Reason
Comfort (Draw) – I had Mercedes in the lead, but those Lexus seats were much better than I would of imagined. Great in both cars.

Drive/Ride (Draw) – Personal preference rules this category. Both good rides, sporty, seemed agile on the test drive. I didn’t get as good of a test drive on the Lexus as on the MB since it was mostly highway.

Engineering (Mercedes) – I prefer German engineering to Japanese. I went to an engineering school and it just makes more sense to me. I like the approach to European design more than I do Asian.

Exterior (Mercedes) – The body style looks classier. New body style in 07 doesn’t mean better body style. See BMW 3 series. I don’t like a car with a big butt; the IS250 trunk is too high for me.

Future Appeal (Lexus) – New body style in the IS250 vs. outgoing body style in the C230.

Interior (Mercedes) – Both are very nice, but the Lexus interior looks the same as in the IS as the old people cars they make. I’m young…I like the flair, the brushed aluminum look. Don’t like wood paneling in a car.

iPod (Mercedes) – This is a big deal for me so it gets its own category. MB has a fully integrated display. Ahead of the curve on something electronic, all cars will need to have this in at least two years.

MPG (Lexus) – Both are good, Lexus is better, and by I am guessing 2 mpg on normal driving conditions? Mileage is much better than my Jeep Wrangler (16 mpg).

Options (Lexus) – You have to upgrade a MB to get standard features on a Lexus.

Price (Mercedes) – My dad is in the business and has a connection at MB, I will get a great deal. Otherwise it would be a Draw.

Reliability (Lexus) – You can run a Lexus in to the ground. You can with a Benz but to do so, it will take you a bit longer because you were held up at the shop.

Safety (Mercedes) – Both cars are as safe as you want in a wreck, I consider that a Draw. However I also factor how safe I can be. Visibility of the road is key to my driving style. I felt a bit cramped in the IS. Personal preference. I know the Lexus has mirrors, but 12 years of driving and I barely use them.

Status (Mercedes) – Mercedes has been losing ground to Lexus over the last 5 years, but Mercedes is the next level. Even in the baby version.

Toys (Lexus) – Hands down. Lexus has awesome electrical toys, ventilated seats, keyless, etc. These are fantastic.

The Overall Winner is Mercedes. I will get a C230. The Lexus gave it a serious run, but when I look at a car two years from now, still making payments, cleaning those wheels for the 200th time, I want to be able look up it and smile. Get in it and smile. The body style of the C class in my mind is beautiful and a look that many manufactures are sadly getting away from.

Both cars are too comparable to compare based on measurable features, its all about feel and preference. I don’t like the blind spot in the Lexus and I felt cramped by the high sides and I am pretty tall.

I like the Lexus IS250, but I love the C230.

Thank you to everyone for all the good input. You made my choice very difficult!
Ooops, didn't realize you made a choice. Well, once your happy, that is all that matters.

Old 05-03-06, 05:55 PM
dozier08
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Ooops, didn't realize you made a choice. Well, once your happy, that is all that matters.
No problem. It was a very tough decision. The IS250 and IS350 are awesome cars, if you have one you have a great ride. Enjoy it. I am very excited about the Benz, but I will keep my eye on Lexus in the years to come.
Old 05-03-06, 06:28 PM
mikewpu04
Driver

Reliability is a funny term...

Every car has good and bad relaibiltiy ratings.

Know why I chose Lexus? Because its an amazing car AND they are known for relaibility. I come from a Pontiac, which are known for being virtual POS's. But you know what?

Reliability IMHO is an individual expierence.

My 2002 Pontiac Grand Am, known for major bugs left and right, I got stranded once with in 4 years. I feel it was a VERY relaiable car...

Everyone will have diffrent expierences. Unless it is a car that next to everyone had problems with, don't worry too too much about it. Buy a car for the expierence it gives you. The IS250 AWD was the expierence I wanted in a car. Does it freak me out that people have had some problems with the 2IS? Yea... but then again. ITS GOT A WARRANTY!
Old 05-03-06, 06:39 PM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Not biased, you need to wake up. Benz quality is HORRENDOUS. Not just in AMERICA, but in EUROPE and every country. Its not even a seceret anymore. I'll post links later 2night. Dealer service is horrendous. I am a member on MB world, read anywhere for 5 minutes, people from 30k C classes to 150k S-classes have unreliable cars and God-awful service. That is the NORM. Of course there are those with good experiences, that is the EXCEPTION.

With LEXUS, its the other way around.

We are comparing a brand new car to a car that has IMO, aged well, but is outclassed by the newer car.

IMO both cars look good. As I stated, the C has more prestige. Otherwise, its not a very good car for the money.

And if you have read ANY REVIEW IN ANY MAGAZINE the past 8 years, you will notice.

Lexus beats Mercedes in EVERY COMPARISON in EVERY MAGAZINE.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Benzes, IMO, the best looking brand today. AMG is simply incredible. Prestige Lexus might never gain.

But people need to stop hanging on to the old ideology they are just "superior".

No longer.
Can you quote me where I said that MB beat Lexus in all of the categories or most of them? The OP wanted reasons on which car to buy. All this forum did was post all the flaws about MB and NO flaws for the IS. When I pointed out some flaws people used the excuse of "the IS is a 1st gen car, of course it will have problems." Umm yea? But when the OP buys the car doesn't he have to deal with those problems as well? Unless he waits for the 2007 model... That excuse is pointless in this case since the car he might be getting could potentially have those problems. Links? JD Power and Assoc? That list isn't close to being accurate. They don't take into account MANY factors that would influence those results (the type of people who drive the cars, the type of people who drive a type of car that is WILLING to take the time to respond to that survey, and the list goes on). Magazines? Sure I read them but I don't believe them most of the time. People only believe magazines when it praises their cars, but they disregard magazines when they criticize their cars. All other non-related material in the magazines is just entertainment. Everyone has their own oppinions. The person who writes those articles has their own as well. I personally wouldn't base my judgement on someone else's oppinion BUT I would take that into account and get some personal experience. I also read in almost every MAGAZINE that the 3 series beats the IS OVERALL. I personally think that's BS. Handling is NOT greater than styling, reliability, features, etc.

Bottom line: MB's quality may be horrid compared to Lexus but it isn't as bad as you most put it. From my experience the LEXUS IS350 quality isn't the godly "great service/quality" that most of people put it or what Lexus stands for. The OP wanted oppinions between those 2 cars. Posts here did do that except they only gave a 1 sided story. They just bashed MB in general.
Old 05-03-06, 06:53 PM
dozier08
Driver School Candidate

People only believe magazines when it praises their cars, but they disregard magazines when they criticize their cars.
It is so true.
Old 05-03-06, 07:20 PM
LexFather

Can you quote me where I said that MB beat Lexus in all of the categories or most of them? The OP wanted reasons on which car to buy. All this forum did was post all the flaws about MB and NO flaws for the IS. When I pointed out some flaws people used the excuse of "the IS is a 1st gen car, of course it will have problems." Umm yea? But when the OP buys the car doesn't he have to deal with those problems as well? Unless he waits for the 2007 model... That excuse is pointless in this case since the car he might be getting could potentially have those problems. Links? JD Power and Assoc? That list isn't close to being accurate. They don't take into account MANY factors that would influence those results (the type of people who drive the cars, the type of people who drive a type of car that is WILLING to take the time to respond to that survey, and the list goes on). Magazines? Sure I read them but I don't believe them most of the time. People only believe magazines when it praises their cars, but they disregard magazines when they criticize their cars. All other non-related material in the magazines is just entertainment. Everyone has their own oppinions. The person who writes those articles has their own as well. I personally wouldn't base my judgement on someone else's oppinion BUT I would take that into account and get some personal experience. I also read in almost every MAGAZINE that the 3 series beats the IS OVERALL. I personally think that's BS. Handling is NOT greater than styling, reliability, features, etc.

Bottom line: MB's quality may be horrid compared to Lexus but it isn't as bad as you most put it. From my experience the LEXUS IS350 quality isn't the godly "great service/quality" that most of people put it or what Lexus stands for. The OP wanted oppinions between those 2 cars. Posts here did do that except they only gave a 1 sided story. They just bashed MB in general.

I see your point and will agree to disagree. IMO, from many different sources, Benzes need help. Even their own CEO has said it, as the press releases.

I hope to get a chance to link those items, to prove its a fact.

Old 05-03-06, 08:54 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

After too much consideration between the Mercedes Benz C230 and Lexus IS250, I have made a decision. I considered at least the following subjective factors and many more:

Category (Winner) - Reason
Comfort (Draw) – I had Mercedes in the lead, but those Lexus seats were much better than I would of imagined. Great in both cars.

Drive/Ride (Draw) – Personal preference rules this category. Both good rides, sporty, seemed agile on the test drive. I didn’t get as good of a test drive on the Lexus as on the MB since it was mostly highway.

Engineering (Mercedes) – I prefer German engineering to Japanese. I went to an engineering school and it just makes more sense to me. I like the approach to European design more than I do Asian.

Exterior (Mercedes) – The body style looks classier. New body style in 07 doesn’t mean better body style. See BMW 3 series. I don’t like a car with a big butt; the IS250 trunk is too high for me.

Future Appeal (Lexus) – New body style in the IS250 vs. outgoing body style in the C230.

Interior (Mercedes) – Both are very nice, but the Lexus interior looks the same as in the IS as the old people cars they make. I’m young…I like the flair, the brushed aluminum look. Don’t like wood paneling in a car.

iPod (Mercedes) – This is a big deal for me so it gets its own category. MB has a fully integrated display. Ahead of the curve on something electronic, all cars will need to have this in at least two years.

MPG (Lexus) – Both are good, Lexus is better, and by I am guessing 2 mpg on normal driving conditions? Mileage is much better than my Jeep Wrangler (16 mpg).

Options (Lexus) – You have to upgrade a MB to get standard features on a Lexus.

Price (Mercedes) – My dad is in the business and has a connection at MB, I will get a great deal. Otherwise it would be a Draw.

Reliability (Lexus) – You can run a Lexus in to the ground. You can with a Benz but to do so, it will take you a bit longer because you were held up at the shop.

Safety (Mercedes) – Both cars are as safe as you want in a wreck, I consider that a Draw. However I also factor how safe I can be. Visibility of the road is key to my driving style. I felt a bit cramped in the IS. Personal preference. I know the Lexus has mirrors, but 12 years of driving and I barely use them.

Status (Mercedes) – Mercedes has been losing ground to Lexus over the last 5 years, but Mercedes is the next level. Even in the baby version.

Toys (Lexus) – Hands down. Lexus has awesome electrical toys, ventilated seats, keyless, etc. These are fantastic.

The Overall Winner is Mercedes. I will get a C230. The Lexus gave it a serious run, but when I look at a car two years from now, still making payments, cleaning those wheels for the 200th time, I want to be able look up it and smile. Get in it and smile. The body style of the C class in my mind is beautiful and a look that many manufactures are sadly getting away from.

Both cars are too comparable to compare based on measurable features, its all about feel and preference. I don’t like the blind spot in the Lexus and I felt cramped by the high sides and I am pretty tall.

I like the Lexus IS250, but I love the C230.

Thank you to everyone for all the good input. You made my choice very difficult!
The guy did his research then MADE UP his mind and chose the vehicle that suits BEST for him. Four pages later, people are still arguing LOL!
Old 05-03-06, 09:41 PM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

Originally Posted by newr
The guy did his research then MADE UP his mind and chose the vehicle that suits BEST for him. Four pages later, people are still arguing LOL!
Err... we were having a conversation that spun off from the topic. It happens a lot on the internet and posts like mine and yours keep it going forever. It's a car forum... people will always be comparing different brands and cars. Nothing new. What I hate the most is when someone makes a post in a thread that's like 6+ months old.

Last edited by RshaoKh; 05-03-06 at 09:51 PM.
Old 05-04-06, 02:39 AM
sdsilverm3
Rookie

Originally Posted by digital_b
you asked this question on mbworld. you will see that the people here arent as immature or stupid as there. the advice I gave you there applies here as well. you should scan this site for problems and compare it to a comperable scan on ANY benz site. you will see that the IS is to this point a better car from a problems stand point.
So would you mind explaining this one? I posted in that thread over on MBWORLD and I was actually trying to push the IS250 over the C230. I didn't see any immature responses in that thread either. Was there some biased responses? Of course, but that comes with the territory. I didn't see any personal attacks. The only immature response I've seen is you calling people "stupid". Let's try not to be a hypocrite. Thanks.

I honestly don't think Dozier08 will be happy with the C230. I absolutely hate driving that car even when it's given to me as a FREE loaner for 1-2 days. I cannot imagine driving that thing for YEARS!

Last edited by sdsilverm3; 05-04-06 at 02:48 AM.

Quick Reply: MB C230 or Lexus IS250 (now I'm not so sure)