IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Which one
IS 250
88.10%
C 230 Benz
11.90%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

MB C230 or Lexus IS250 (now I'm not so sure)

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-06, 06:37 PM
dozier08
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MB C230 or Lexus IS250 (now I'm not so sure)

My local Benz dealer has a Black on Black C230 coming in a few weeks and I have a small deposit on it. I like the ones I have test driven and love the look. I chose the MB over the BMW because the comfort was better for me and I don't like the new design.

However now I am wondering if I should of taken a closer look at the Lexus IS250. I feel the reliability of the IS will be slightly better, but would the C230 be considered unreliable? They sound like they have worked out the kinks in the C230 over the years and I like its exterior and interior apperance more.

I have noticed most people C-classes have been fixed under warranty and I could get an extended warranty, so an unreliable car would just mean annoying time at a dealer and not having my car, in most cases.

I want to get a car I can keep for a long time and want to make a good investment. I would apprecaite opinions. Would I be buying problems if I stick with the C230 instead of the IS250?
Old 04-30-06, 06:48 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I am biased. With that said, IS250 will be a better buy at this point. New generation C class is just around the corner.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 04-30-06, 07:05 PM
paeko73
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dozier08
My local Benz dealer has a Black on Black C230 coming in a few weeks and I have a small deposit on it. I like the ones I have test driven and love the look. I chose the MB over the BMW because the comfort was better for me and I don't like the new design.

However now I am wondering if I should of taken a closer look at the Lexus IS250. I feel the reliability of the IS will be slightly better, but would the C230 be considered unreliable? They sound like they have worked out the kinks in the C230 over the years and I like its exterior and interior apperance more.

I have noticed most people C-classes have been fixed under warranty and I could get an extended warranty, so an unreliable car would just mean annoying time at a dealer and not having my car, in most cases.

I want to get a car I can keep for a long time and want to make a good investment. I would apprecaite opinions. Would I be buying problems if I stick with the C230 instead of the IS250?
The current/most recent issue of Consumer Reports tested and rated both the C230 and IS 250, and others sports sedans. And yes, the reliability dot/rating on the MB was not that favorable! If I remember correctly, Consumer Reports picked the IS over the MB.
Old 04-30-06, 07:31 PM
Edison_Chen
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

The MB C230 is in its final year; purchase price and depreciation will play larger roles.

I can probably bet MB are tryin to get rid of many C Classes as they can to make room the new C generation to come in.
Old 04-30-06, 07:33 PM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default 2 things: The C class is VERY soon to under go (m)

a full re-do and then some. And, stay away--far away--from a black car.
The C class is burdened with poor reliability and will soon see its value plummet once the new models come out.
As for black--stay away. Its just too much work and virtually impossible to keep clean. I am beyond **** with my cars and the one black car I tried was just too much. Every spare moment chasing swirl marks, dust, streks and dirt was time not spent doing something better. Even with Zaino, a "spotfree" car rinsing device (CR spotless device) and micro fiber towels, etc I could NOT keep the damn thing clean.
Old 04-30-06, 07:38 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by paeko73
The current/most recent issue of Consumer Reports tested and rated both the C230 and IS 250, and others sports sedans. And yes, the reliability dot/rating on the MB was not that favorable! If I remember correctly, Consumer Reports picked the IS over the MB.
They did indeed. They mentioned "reliability should be good based on previous models", and they also wrote "reliability has been worse than average" for the C230. The C230's going to be inferior in reliability to the Lexus, as well as fuel economy. I like the C class a lot, but I really just don't have the time to deal with the quality issues.
Old 04-30-06, 07:38 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess a lot of it depends on what kind of ride quality you prefer. I personally really liked the BMW's handling over the MB's, however, I usually lean more towards a "sport" ride as compared to a more cushy ride of the MB. As far as quality and reliability goes, you definitely can't go wrong with the Lexus and like the others said, the current generation C class has been around forever and a day. The last thing I would want is to be making payments on a car that looks like the old model, but that's just my opinion.

Good luck whatever decision you make.
Old 04-30-06, 08:01 PM
mkaresh
Rookie

That comparison test was kinda funky. Looks like they picked the Lexus because they liked the look and feel of the interior. The IS does have a nice interior, but I wasn't aware this was a big consideration for CR. They noted that the handling and rear seat room were not among the best.

My take on comparison tests in general: http://www.truedelta.com/pieces/comparison_tests.php

Unless you're planning to own the car more than three years, everything appears pretty reliable based on CR. Least reliable car you can buy has about half a "serious" problem per car in the first year.

But what we really need is clearer information. In the sidebar of the above piece you'll find my critiques of existing reliability ratings.
Old 04-30-06, 08:11 PM
bigdaddy10
Driver School Candidate

Default Skip the MB

I just traded my MB C32 AMG in on a new IS350. The AMG was a very nice car and was ***** fast, but I had more problems with that thing than you can imagine. I've never owned a Lexus before and have only had this one for a few days, so I can't speak to reliability yet, but Mercedes is at or near the very bottom of all reliability ratings that I've seen. I had major problems with mine (all glitchy little things, electronics, etc.), but having your car in the shop 20+ times in the first 2.5 year you own it is unacceptable, especially when it cost upwards of 55K. Everything was under warranty, but after 4 years, you are on your own. Most of the services I went in for required replacing a control or computer module - these are >1000$ each.

BTW, they used to give me a C230, C240 ,or C230 Kompressor as loaners when I would take in my AMG. The C230 and C240 are total dogs and not nearly as nice as the IS. The C230 was quick, but not as quick as my 350.

Hope my experience can help prevent additional MB disasters.
Old 04-30-06, 08:45 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

I chose the MB-230 over the IS250. Check sig.

If there was an IS350 6MT, then it would have been a diffrent out come.
Old 04-30-06, 08:48 PM
rinthiran
Rookie

I spent some time looking and test driving the C350 before I purchased my IS350. I can agree with you that the MB does have more of a very elegant interior, the "classic" German design, and does have a slightly more smoother/softer ride-quality (with a bit more body roll). Plus the C350 engine feels like it has a lot more torque under 3k rpm and mated very well with the 7-speed auto transmission. I did drive the C230, and didn’t think it was a slow car either (revs pretty fast into the power band).

Searching the MB forums, the 2004.5 c-class Mercedes went through a pretty significant internal parts redesign, and most people with the 2004.5+ models have not had reliability issues (however, it has only been 2 years). It seems that most owners after 3-4 years complain of a lot of rattling from several locations that never seem to get fixed. That’s more annoying that problematic. The 7-speed auto is known as a super smooth transmission, that is, if it doesn’t have significant failure and shifting issues from 1-2-1, be warned, YMMV... and the usual list of electrical failures.

The 2007 C-Class will be a new body style, and that means the value of your car will drop and if you’re like me, you’ll yearn for the newer look. Interior engine and electornics are probably going to be the same (same engines). Personally, I believe that if you’re going to pay for a luxury vehicle, you might want to think about paying a little extra for a certain amount of prestige and “coolness” factor. Good luck!!
Old 04-30-06, 09:19 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 268 Likes on 238 Posts

I feel the reliability of the IS will be slightly better,
Understatement of the century. You are comparing a car from the marque that tops all the reliability ratings to one that consistantly trails even the domestic brands.

If you don't believe Consumer Reports, start reading the MB Internet forums. I was briefly smitten with the idea of getting a CLK500 last year, until I started reading the forums. I read multiple horror stories of people with major mechanical problems (e.g., transmission replacements) on cars less than a year old. Glitches like those experienced by bigdaddy10 (above) seemed more the rule than the exception.

Don't kid yourself. Having a car that's often in the shop affect your pride-of-ownership, your confidence in taking long trips, and your overall satisfaction.
Old 04-30-06, 09:41 PM
razox
Rookie

Here's a shot I got from Saturday photoshoot. I just love the bug eyes.

Old 05-01-06, 12:00 AM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that car looks great in white.
Old 05-01-06, 12:01 AM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you asked this question on mbworld. you will see that the people here arent as immature or stupid as there. the advice I gave you there applies here as well. you should scan this site for problems and compare it to a comperable scan on ANY benz site. you will see that the IS is to this point a better car from a problems stand point.

Quick Reply: MB C230 or Lexus IS250 (now I'm not so sure)